Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ear Infections
TGT09 09:25 AM 05-13-2010
I am livid....I just had a mom try to tell me that ear infections are NOT contagious! I'm sorry, what?!

Has anyone been told that they aren't? Now, I'm curious but still quite irritated!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:34 AM 05-13-2010
Ive never heard they were. the colds that cause them are but an ear infection is not contagious.
momma2girls 09:41 AM 05-13-2010
No, ear infections themselves are not contagious, but if they have a nasty cold, or something along with it, that can be very contagious!
TGT09 10:33 AM 05-13-2010
Thanks ladies, I really thought she was trying to pull a fast one on me. I learned something new today that I can't believe I didn't already know. :-) I ended up calling my doctor's office and was told the same.
Golden Rule 11:25 AM 05-13-2010
Ear infections are not contagious. They are caused by a build-up of fluid behind the eardrum (middle-ear). This fluid can become "infected", called Otis Media (middle ear inflammation). They are not always caused by the cold or flu virus.

If this child has allergies, digs in ear canals with dirty fingers or has been swimming lately (in less than clean water), having the side effect of an "ear infection" does not pose any threat to other children. On the flip side, it will make that child miserable and worthy of staying home for some much needed TLC.

I would recommend requiring her to bring a doctors note on return to care to rule out any possible contagion on the chance that it was caused by a virus.
TGT09 11:31 AM 05-13-2010
He's an infant. He's had the ear infection for over a week. She took him back to the doctor yesterday and they gave him another round of new antibiotics.
Golden Rule 11:37 AM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
He's an infant. He's had the ear infection for over a week. She took him back to the doctor yesterday and they gave him another round of new antibiotics.
Awww....that stinks. I am willing to bet you they told her to keep him home for 3 days, then go for a re-check. That is pretty standard with little guys.

Both of my sons had allergies/asthma, constant ear-infections, steroids and 3 rounds of tubes.... they outgrew it a couple years ago. It is a rough path. I am sorry you may be starting down it

I hope it is just the cold virus, now.... How is he acting?
TGT09 11:42 AM 05-13-2010
He isn't in care until later this afternoon but I have him tomorrow so we'll see. Parents went out of town right after he was diagnosed last week and left grandparents to deal with him, 4 hours from home. They got home Tuesday night and he appeared to be worse so she took him again yesterday. He's not one of my normal kids, I'm just subbing for another provider. His sister is in my care 5 days a week but they had already placed him on her way to work when they found me so they've kept it that way.
Golden Rule 11:53 AM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
He isn't in care until later this afternoon but I have him tomorrow so we'll see. Parents went out of town right after he was diagnosed last week and left grandparents to deal with him, 4 hours from home. They got home Tuesday night and he appeared to be worse so she took him again yesterday.
That breaks my heart...it is so painful!!! You feel like you are on a boat with something stabbing you in the skull after eating bad cheese. The nausea and head/jaw/neck pain can become debilitating and without words to tell anyone....ugh

I know every time my sons and I had them I was told to alternate Tylenol (pain/fever) and Motrin (inflammation/pain) every 4 hours for inflammation and pain management. (You can give both at one time as a loading dose then one or the other every 4-6 hours. This is also our protocol for ear infections, here.)

I hope he gets better fast!!! Oh, come on Karma!!!

A loading dose is a one time dose....
Janet 11:03 AM 05-14-2010
They aren't contagious in and of themselves, but the bug that caused the ear infectioon to occur are. As an adult who gets ear infections an awful lot, I feel terrible for children that get them, especially when they can't communicate the severity of the pain to their parents. Some parents really trivialize how much it sucks to have an ear infecttion, and maybe it's because they don't remember how ear infections feel. I am so miserable with them that they affect my hearing, my balance, my stomach and I get mind-splittng headaches with them. Luckily I can spot the beginning stages of ear infections a mile away and can forewarn the parents. They may not listen about it, but at least they aren't surprised when I call them to pick up their kid. Not because the kid is contagious, but because the last place a kid with an ear infection should be is in daycare. They need to rest and recover at home.
Tags:ear infection
Reply Up