Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About One Year Old
morgan24 04:39 AM 03-12-2013
I have a one year old who is breast fed. I started her full time at 5 months and she took breast milk from the bottle fine. Dcm got laid off a couple of months ago and since then she has been coming 2days a week. She did okay with that but the last couple of weeks she does nothing but cry and shriek a high pitch shriek, won't take a nap and throws her sippy cup and refuses to drink from it. Last week after an hour of it I called DCD and he came and got her. He said she has been crying when they put her down, so dcm breast feeds her a lot during the day and they co-sleep most of the time so she does it through out the night. She has also been refusing to eat food for me. The samething happened yesterday, I called and sent her home and explained to Dcd that her crying all the time is starting to effect the other kids, he agreed with what I was telling him and said that they would work on it. My question is would breast feeding when ever she wants at home make her, so miserable when she has to go without it for a day? She is suppose to start full time again in May and the shrieking at the top of her lungs all the time is not going to work. I told Dcd that it's not fair to me or the other kids to have to listen to that most of the day.
Holiday Park 06:40 AM 03-12-2013
I wouldn't just blame the breastfeeding. My 17 month old still nurses when he wants but he doesn't act like that . It seems like more than that is going on. If they co-sleep and shes having eating issues , and crying all the time she might either be sick with a illness or just spoiled . My son has boundaries , hr can entertain himself, been sleeping in his own bed (no rocking/nursing, etc... ) by himself since he came home from hospital and eats solid food great. He loves his sippy cup.
morgan24 06:51 AM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
I wouldn't just blame the breastfeeding. My 17 month old still nurses when he wants but he doesn't act like that . It seems like more than that is going on. If they co-sleep and shes having eating issues , and crying all the time she might either be sick with a illness or just spoiled . My son has boundaries , hr can entertain himself, been sleeping in his own bed (no rocking/nursing, etc... ) by himself since he came home from hospital and eats solid food great. He loves his sippy cup.
Thanks I haven't had a breast fed baby in quite a few years and I didn't remember any of them have issues like hers. Dcd thinks that's the problem and want dcm to stop. She had a well baby visit last week so she's not ill. Hopefully it will get worked out.
blandino 07:02 AM 03-12-2013
We had similar issues with a child that went from FT to PT and was about the same age. She was with different family members each day of the week, so there was no consistency. When she was at daycare she was literally napping maybe 20 minutes a day. She would just scream and scream. But on her off days no one was making her lay down.

I would say the "on demand" aspect of her mothers feeding might play into it more than the actual-breast feeding. If she is used to nursing frequently all day, then she might be frustrated because she has to wait a few hours for bottles. Also it might just be a lack of schedule and consistency causing her behavior.
cheerfuldom 08:15 AM 03-12-2013
I agree with the previous poster. I dont believe that it is a breast feeding issue but a combination of the care being provided at home not meshing well with group care at daycare and also, behaviors that are normal for the age (crying for mom, etc)
littlemissmuffet 08:22 AM 03-12-2013
I know from my own experience, kids who are fed (breast or not) on demand and co-sleep are very difficult to transition into group care. However, I think the fact that the child is only coming 2 days a week is the primary source of the issues you are having. Most kiddos eventually adjust to the difference between home and daycare, but it's difficult to get a child into that routine when they are so part time.
morgan24 09:12 AM 03-12-2013
Thanks for everyone's help. I did give them a copy of our routine here and they claim they are doing the same routine at home. I have been very open with them about the fact if it continues I won't be able to care for her because of how it effects all the rest of the kids and me, it's not pleasant to have one shrieking all the time. It drains me and that is why I sent her home.
Reply Up