Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Again
tenderhearts 08:37 AM 04-09-2013
I am about ready to just close until summer. Literally JUST cleared up the last cold and one of the boys came full blown cold AGAIN yesterday. He is actually the one that just finished his about 2 weeks ago, and it went into a sinus infection and he had viral pink eye so he was put on antibiotics about 5 days ago. His nose was none stop running yesterday, sneezing all over, I'm sure by the end of the week 1 or 2 more will have this. I am so frustrated with these colds. No matter how much precautions I take someone else gets it. I just feel like telling everyone I close until summer, that would be so nice. I haven't had a break from coughs and colds since before Christmas, we'll be good a week or maybe 2 before one comes on a Monday yet another cold.
I wish I can quarantine them to a room of their own.
Holiday Park 11:04 AM 04-09-2013
I never did understand why kids get so sick all the time. My son still didnt get even while doing daycare, and having him around other kids. But those kids I had in my care, would get sick more times in a month than he ever did his whole life.
tenderhearts 11:14 AM 04-09-2013
IT's always the same ones. I have 2 that haven't had a cough or cold yet but the other 3 ALWAYS have one, or the ones that start it and share with the others. It's just been so frustrating. I know you can't stop living and going places in fear of getting sick all the time but maybe for awhile don't take them to chuck e cheese or the pizza place that has the ball pit, just for a while??? grrrrr.
MNMum 11:31 AM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I am about ready to just close until summer. Literally JUST cleared up the last cold and one of the boys came full blown cold AGAIN yesterday. He is actually the one that just finished his about 2 weeks ago, and it went into a sinus infection and he had viral pink eye so he was put on antibiotics about 5 days ago. His nose was none stop running yesterday, sneezing all over, I'm sure by the end of the week 1 or 2 more will have this. I am so frustrated with these colds. No matter how much precautions I take someone else gets it. I just feel like telling everyone I close until summer, that would be so nice. I haven't had a break from coughs and colds since before Christmas, we'll be good a week or maybe 2 before one comes on a Monday yet another cold.
I wish I can quarantine them to a room of their own.
This sounds exactly like what we have been going through here. The kids all had the thick snot-viral pink eye-lasts 10 days thing. That finally cleared after a month, just in time for the smokers cough-fountain nose thing started going around. It's been since January... I sent home the baby today with a fever (I'm sure just associated with the head cold, possibly sinus infection/ear infection now).
rmc20021 11:43 AM 04-09-2013
Same here. I've just been opened a little over a year and I've NEVER seen so many kids with runny noses, constant coughs as I am now. Even when I did daycare before, I had twice as many kids for many years and never had so many kids sick so often.

It would probably help if these parents would dress their kids properly. One dck always came in nothing but a sweatshirt...in 20 degree wheather. Another, the dad carried her (3 yo) covered with a blanket and no shoes or coat. Today a 4 yo came in with no coat, sweatshirt or anything...coughing and sneezing all over the place. It was only 40 degrees out.
cheerfuldom 12:18 PM 04-09-2013
I know! two of my daycare kids have been sick CONSTANTLY. colds and coughs and diarrhea and stuff over and over and over. the third daycare child has had several severe tummy bugs. my kids caught some of this but have held up pretty well. my infant did get RSV from a daycare child but held up way better than the daycare child.

its been a pretty tough winter. the daycare kids dont have much of an immune system and have pretty bad diets as well. Its 2 and 3 year olds that eat a lot of lunchables and pre packaged foods at best.....chips, cookies, little debbies and sugar juices at worse. one of them does not regular get outside of her house. her mom told me she was over 2 years old before they ever took her in the backyard!
jenn 12:53 PM 04-09-2013
I don't understand all the sickness either. My daughter has a liver condition that causes a weakened immune system and she is the healthiest kid here! Most of my DCK's are sick (in some form) all the time. They just get cleared up from something, and then boom, something else.

My theory is that it's because they are just constantly on the go. They leave here and go somewhere else. On weekends they are all over the place. They don't get enough rest or proper nutrition on the evenings/weekends.

However, most of my daycare families seem to think "sick" is limited to vomit or fever. Green runny noses, congested coughs, constant sneezing, ... allergies or teething. I swear that some of these "teething" kids must have 50 teeth by now!

It also floors me that when I call or tell the parents about whatever symptoms I'm seeing, they never see the same thing. Apparently, their child is perfectly fine, walks into my door, and green snot, congestion, and coughing apppear. As soon as they are picked up, all symptoms magically disappear!
Reply Up