Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>VENT! Long
KSDC 12:44 PM 10-21-2013
What is DCM thinking?

My DCB is 4 mo old and normally the sweetest happiest baby on Earth. Today he has been really cranky. Not eating. Lots of crying for no discernible reason. I text mom to let her know and to ask if he had a tough weekend.

DCM decides to come pick up early. Which is fine. Good parenting call.

But (You knew there was a but, right?) But, she also has a 20 month old in my care. She picks up the baby, waves to the older DCB (who she has woken up from his nap) and leaves. At which point DCB starts screaming bloody murder for his mommy. Waking up the rest of my daycare.

I call her back and she then comes back for the older child too. Now all my nappers are awake and trying to go back to sleep. (They usually sleep about 2 hours. This pickup was only an hour into naptime.)

<sigh>
I needed to vent that to someone who would understand.
Blackcat31 12:50 PM 10-21-2013
(((((hugs)))))

In the future, maybe make a rule that if a parent comes to pick up they need to take ALL their children with them.

I know that isn't always possible but it seems the parents who are the ones who usually do that kind of thing have kids that can't deal with it so if that is the case, make a rule:

One drop off and pick up per parent. period.
Crazy8 03:56 PM 10-21-2013
I try to avoid nap time pick ups but when they are necessary I have parent call/text when they are 5 min. away and I get the child ready to go out the door and meet them on the porch.
MamaBear 04:04 PM 10-21-2013
This happened to me when I had 2 boys with pretty much the same age difference. It was awful just like you described. The older boy was screaming looking out the window crying while watching his mom drive off with the baby brother. Talk about a tear jerker. I felt like at that moment he probably really felt like she chose the baby over him. It looked like his little heart broke which made me so sad & mad. I didn't realize she was going to leave the older one - just like you probably didn't know either.

When the mom came hours later to pick up the older boy, I told her that could neverrrrr happen again and described how heartbroken and upset he was. She apologized and it never happened again. I updated my policy asap and after that if one of the kids was sick - she'd take them both home.

Sorry you had to experience that.
cheerfuldom 08:24 PM 10-21-2013
I agree. I think it was Nanny that always recommended "one drop off, one pickup" per day and I would use that as a family rule too. If it was nap time, I would not let the parent come in. They can knock quietly or text when they are at the door so no one else is disturbed.
Tags:disruptive, nap - disruptions, parents - are clueless, uninvited parents
Reply Up