Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ask, or Just Tell?
Shell 10:00 AM 02-27-2014
If you need to close early one day (giving about a month of notice), do you ask the parents if they can make other arrangements, or do you just tell them when and what time you are closing, and leave it at that?
I have one family that always gives me the sob story that they have no family nearby, and I always cave and call my assistant in so they don't have to leave work. I also print out a schedule and they know of early closings well in advance, so this is unusual for me, and I am dreading the, "well, I have a meeting, and can't get out early...blah, blah" excuse dcm is sure to give me.
Play Care 10:05 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
If you need to close early one day (giving about a month of notice), do you ask the parents if they can make other arrangements, or do you just tell them when and what time you are closing, and leave it at that?
I have one family that always gives me the sob story that they have no family nearby, and I always cave and call my assistant in so they don't have to leave work. I also print out a schedule and they know of early closings well in advance, so this is unusual for me, and I am dreading the, "well, I have a meeting, and can't get out early...blah, blah" excuse dcm is sure to give me.
With that much notice, I inform that families that I WILL be closing early on X date. The only time I would ask, would be for short/sudden notice, which happened this week. On Monday we had a sudden death in our family and I asked the dcp's if they could pick up early last night so I could attend the wake. Everyone was more than willing to make that happen.
In your case the second mom claimed hard ship I would probably say "well I'm sure you can work something out because I will be closed."
Good Luck!
butterfly 10:08 AM 02-27-2014
I must be getting too old and jaded. I would never even CONSIDER asking the parents if it was ok for me to take some much needed time off. I'd TELL them - with as much notice as possible.
CraftyMom 10:10 AM 02-27-2014
No it isn't an option. "I will be closing early at xx:xx on ___." And that's all I say. My contract states they are required to have a back up for such situations. Only once did I ask and it was for a last minute appt the next week, all found backups.
Blackcat31 10:11 AM 02-27-2014
I don't ask.

Asking implies that parents have a say in my decision.

Sometimes I will ask if one day or another works better for a family but I usually only ask something like that so that I can make a decision base don what is best for the group as a whole.

Other than that, I do what I need to do, when I need to do it.

THAT ^^^^ is one of the best perks about being self-employed.
Cat Herder 10:14 AM 02-27-2014
I would most likely close for the day instead of early. IME, it gives them too much power to ruin your plans for the day whether purposeful, or not.

30 days notice of a closing is perfectly reasonable.

It is a parental responsibility to have back up care.
mema 10:27 AM 02-27-2014
I would just tell them. If mom has a problem getting off early or finding someone else to pick up early, then maybe she needs to find a sitter for the whole day.

I try not to close early and just take the day and get other things done. Because like Cat said, they are usually late then for an early close and you miss whatever you were closing for
drseuss 10:29 AM 02-27-2014
Everyone needs time off once in a while. A month is more than sufficient notice, and the parent should have a backup plan in place.

Sometimes I think that as providers, more is expected of us in regards to bending for others because of our gentle/nurturing personalities that land us in this profession. Sometimes it takes a few years of learning the hard way that we are human too, we have doctor's appointments and emergencies just like everybody else, and we deserve that understanding.
MCC 10:29 AM 02-27-2014
I tell them.

A serious past boyfriend of mine was killed in a car accident last Saturday, the funeral is this Saturday, 8 hours away. I emailed parents Monday evening telling them I would be closing at 12pm on Friday so that I can drive up, and to let me know if they did not need care for whatever reason. I got very sweet responses, and everyone understood.
drseuss 10:30 AM 02-27-2014
I agree with just closing for the day, as mentioned above!
lovemykidstoo 10:42 AM 02-27-2014
I have left a few times early during my sons cross country season and track season so I can get to the meet in time. I always tack on an extra 15 minutes to when I really need to leave just in case of traffic issues. I've never had anyone complain. I don't discount for that, but if I take the whole day off, I wouldn't get paid for that.
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have left a few times early during my sons cross country season and track season so I can get to the meet in time. I always tack on an extra 15 minutes to when I really need to leave just in case of traffic issues. I've never had anyone complain. I don't discount for that, but if I take the whole day off, I wouldn't get paid for that.
I don't close for the whole day either. I feel it's easier to close early and still charge a whole day since I don't discount those days either.

I give myself a lot more then 15 minutes though.....the last time I closed early it was for a 3:30 appt, so I closed at 2:00.

Late fees still apply for early close days so unless a parent wants to use up one of their 3 strikes (before being termed) they usually are never late.

I think parents would rather use part of a day (both at work and daycare) verses not having the whole day.
Shell 11:00 AM 02-27-2014
Great advice as always. Thank you everyone!
melilley 11:22 AM 02-27-2014
I tell them.
I don't close for the whole day either, that way I don't have to use a personal day and I still get paid for the whole day.
I think 30 days is plenty of notice! I have to close early, coincidentally today, and I told my parents at the end of March. I also reminded them yesterday and wrote it on my calendar.

This is my first time closing early. I have an appt. at 5 and close at 4:30. I should have closed a little earlier, oh well, we'll see if everyone gets here on time!
MotherNature 11:38 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't ask.

Asking implies that parents have a say in my decision.

Sometimes I will ask if one day or another works better for a family but I usually only ask something like that so that I can make a decision base don what is best for the group as a whole.

Other than that, I do what I need to do, when I need to do it.

THAT ^^^^ is one of the best perks about being self-employed.
Yup, exactly. Especially, with a month notice-I tell, not ask. That's plenty of time for them to have a backup.
KidGrind 12:01 PM 02-27-2014
I tell.

I give each parent written notice of early and full day closures outside of those listed in my handbook/contract.

One parent recently responded with, “I don’t know if I have plans that day.”

My reply, “Either way, I am closed that day. I need your signature right here….. Great! Okay, see you tomorrow!"
Crazy8 02:28 PM 02-27-2014
I rarely ever close early or close for an unscheduled day, I just try to avoid doing it at all costs but I would tell, not ask, if I needed a day.
NeedaVaca 02:55 PM 02-27-2014
My new families are a lot more respectful of my time, but that is because I have learned along the way. One family that has been with me from the beginning always makes me feel guilty about time off, gives me a sob story about not having any coverage, etc. Unfortunately, because I allowed this in the beginning, they feel they can negotiate my days off. I am fed up with it, and have told them no more. However, I am still considering terming just because the disrespect is always an issue.
The ladies on here are correct, though- you (and I) shouldn't feel badly, or feel the need to be available constantly. We all need time for ourselves, and our family, so don't feel guilty!

Here is a previous post you made,take your own advice and don't feel guilty
spud912 02:57 PM 02-27-2014
If there is anything I learned, it's that you TELL when you need a day off. If you ask, you will never get it.
mom2many 03:25 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
If there is anything I learned, it's that you TELL when you need a day off. If you ask, you will never get it.

Shell 05:33 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
My new families are a lot more respectful of my time, but that is because I have learned along the way. One family that has been with me from the beginning always makes me feel guilty about time off, gives me a sob story about not having any coverage, etc. Unfortunately, because I allowed this in the beginning, they feel they can negotiate my days off. I am fed up with it, and have told them no more. However, I am still considering terming just because the disrespect is always an issue.
The ladies on here are correct, though- you (and I) shouldn't feel badly, or feel the need to be available constantly. We all need time for ourselves, and our family, so don't feel guilty!

Here is a previous post you made,take your own advice and don't feel guilty
Ha! You got me here ^^^This is the same dcm I am asking about today-always gives me a sob story. However, I TOLD her today about the day off, and she actually said, "No problem". I was shocked!
kitykids3 05:08 AM 02-28-2014
I never ask, I always tell, because if i have something I need to close early for, then it's important enough for me to tell, not ask and risk not getting to the reason for it. I wont close for a full day, but will close early enough.
Tags:back up care, closing early, day off, parental responsibility
Reply Up