Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Class Is Out Of Control!
14 11:25 AM 03-05-2014
I'm new to this forum but have searched it out due to my desperation. I love children, have two little toddlers of my own, and have kept children in my home for years. I started working at a daycare almost a year ago. After two months, they gave me my own class of one year olds, a new assistant, and practically no training.

Soon, I was informed that I had the "bad" class. The other employees said the director has always thrown the "bad" kids into this room. I was determined to change everyone's outlook and that this would no longer be the "bad" class. But in the past eight months, I've had five different assistants because nobody can handle this group of kids.

I have 14 children in my class. Most days after nap time, I'm by myself. This is against health dept regulations but the day care says they any afford to hire more help. But even when my assistant is there in the mornings, the class is out of control. I try to do crafts, read, group time, etc... But they constantly fight, bite, pull hair (like, ripping it out by the handfuls), hit, push, choke, body slam... I've never seen kids so bad. We're consistent with time out and explaining why that behavior is wrong, but that's all we do all day. The kids laugh at us when we put them in time out and it doesn't phase them at all. They go right back to the bad behavior.

I've told the director but she has no suggestions other than time out. It breaks my heart to see children constantly being bitten and hurt because of the kids that's are bad and I feel lik I don't have enough of me to go around.

I've asked other teachers what I'm doing wrong and they all have said that I'm not doing anything wrong, the kids are just that bad. But there has to be a solution. Please help??
Unregistered 11:31 AM 03-05-2014
Trying to figure out how they think putting ALL the toddlers going through behavioral issues in the same class is a good idea If there are additional class rooms of the same age group, would it not make more logic to spread out the ones going through a more than typical physical stage. To lump them all in one class room and then leave it out of ratio, is beyond wrong. I feel awful for the kids their, their parents, and the workers. Change needs to take place.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 03-05-2014
Holy moly!

I don't think kids that age can be "bad"...kwim?

Most times, the behavior of a child that age is directly related to the environment.

1 yr olds do not have the attention span or the patience to do crafts or structured activities.

I would take a hard look at your actually class room and see what you can do about setting the room up to look enticing. Provide activities that engage their developmental age.

What activities and equipment do you currently have?

Maybe we can help you through this........
melilley 11:34 AM 03-05-2014
Sorry you are going through this!

First I want to say that I don't know where you are from, but I'm pretty positive that having 14 1 year old children by yourself is illegal! It's not fair for your director to do this to you and I would definitely say something. That is probably part of the reason the kids are out of control. Plus, they need consistency and it sounds like you are the only consistent person.

Second, timeouts for 1 year olds don't really do any good imo. Redirecting them might work better.

Sorry, I don't have any more advice for you except it sounds like the class is out of control because 14 1 yo's with one adult is simply outrageous! I would definitely say something and maybe even report to licensing. Not only is it not fair to you or the kids, but is dangerous!
melilley 11:35 AM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Holy moly!

I don't think kids that age can be "bad"...kwim?

Most times, the behavior of a child that age is directly related to the environment.

1 yr olds do not have the attention span or the patience to do crafts or structured activities.

I would take a hard look at your actually class room and see what you can do about setting the room up to look enticing. Provide activities that engage their developmental age.

What activities and equipment do you currently have?

Maybe we can help you through this........
She said she has 14 to herself! I'm pretty sure that's not legal anywhere! No wonder it's crazy in the classroom!
craftymissbeth 11:37 AM 03-05-2014
How old are all of these kids?

Could you set up 7-8 small "stations" where 2 children can play at a time and rotate them every 15 minutes or so?

Also, maybe make them sit on their bottoms while playing to lessen the chaos a little?

Maybe one of the stations can be something REALLY fun, but only children who behave properly can participate?

Sorry, I have never worked in a center so I have no idea what you're actually able to do in your environment.
14 11:38 AM 03-05-2014
We're required to do crafts. At least two a week. Sigh...

There's nothing in the room but two tables and the toy boxes. I'm on a tight budget and can't afford much but I'd be willing to make some purchases to save my sanity and the well being of these children.

I agree about this age not being "bad" but all they see are other kids biting, pulling hair, etc so that's what they all do. And again, time out is ineffective. I try to redirect with toys or songs, but that only lasts a few minutes and then it's back to chaos. I've tried putting posters and sensory things on the wall but they rip them down :/
craftymissbeth 11:38 AM 03-05-2014
Oh holy cow now I see they're 1 yo's

I would totally eliminate crafts first of all

ETA: I'm apparently typing too slow today lol
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
She said she has 14 to herself! I'm pretty sure that's not legal anywhere! No wonder it's crazy in the classroom!
I also think THIS ^^^^^ is the very first thing you need to address.

You cannot do this alone and for your director to say you (the center) can't afford to hire more staff is NOT okay. The law says you HAVE to have a certain number of people in the room for kids that age.

NOTHING else is going to change until the number of kids to teacher ratio is addressed.
14 11:43 AM 03-05-2014
A parent has complained once about how many kids were in here for one teacher. On top of that, last time the health department came, there was only one teacher in here. They said something about it then but nothing was done.

I also think THIS ^^^^^ is the very first thing you need to address.

You cannot do this alone and for your director to say you (the center) can't afford to hire more staff is NOT okay. The law says you HAVE to have a certain number of people in the room for kids that age.

NOTHING else is going to change until the number of kids to teacher ratio is addressed.

preschoolteacher 11:47 AM 03-05-2014
First of all, I don't mean anything I am going to say to be about you personally. You seem like a very caring teacher who is willing to go the extra mile for your kids. Your director and daycare center, however, have a lot of problems.

There is a reason the kids are acting up. It's not because they are bad. 14 1-year-olds to 1 adult is insane, illegal, and likely contributing to most of the problems. I seriously would report it. You can do that anonymously.

It also sounds like you have very few materials for the kids. 1-year-olds can't be expected to sit long and be on task. I can't imagine they will stay at those two tables long to do anything. What kind of toys do you have? Are they all just thrown into boxes? Are they easy for kids to find and play with? Is there any sort of organization in the room?

It also sounds like there are some inappropriate expectations for the kids. 1-year-olds can't do crafts. They can color, maybe finger paint... but I'd be wary to introduce any art materials if you are alone supervising 14. How can you be sure Jimmy isn't eating glue if you have his 13 hitting, biting classmates to supervise by yourself at the same time?

Are they getting outside? Do you have a gym or a large motor place for them to run around?

The first thing I'd address is the fact that you're illegally understaffed. Like others said, nothing will improve until you get the help you need.
melilley 11:48 AM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by MrsRachelle:
A parent has complained once about how many kids were in here for one teacher. On top of that, last time the health department came, there was only one teacher in here. They said something about it then but nothing was done.
That's strange that nothing was done. If that happened here, severe consequences would be handed out! I would contact licensing. I'm not too familiar with how much say the health dept. has or what they actually can do because we don't have to have the health dept. come, but licensing would definitely care.
jenboo 11:50 AM 03-05-2014
I would report to licensing and walk out. I would not work for a center that is doing illegal things, especially if you know they are illegal.
I would document your conversations with the director, take a picture with 14 one yr olds in the classroom, call licensing and never go back.

There is nothing you can do to control 14 one yr olds by yourself. That is outrageous!
melilley 11:52 AM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by MrsRachelle:
We're required to do crafts. At least two a week. Sigh...

There's nothing in the room but two tables and the toy boxes. I'm on a tight budget and can't afford much but I'd be willing to make some purchases to save my sanity and the well being of these children.

I agree about this age not being "bad" but all they see are other kids biting, pulling hair, etc so that's what they all do. And again, time out is ineffective. I try to redirect with toys or songs, but that only lasts a few minutes and then it's back to chaos. I've tried putting posters and sensory things on the wall but they rip them down :/
Do you do process art? My kids love to just paint, they could do it all day as well as color, glue things onto paper, things like that.

Sensory activities are a big hit here too. Instead of putting things on the wall, (I know how that goes, they just tear it down) you could put sensory materials in bins and let them play that way or have a sensory table.

Toddlers also love to clean! Give them paper towel or washcloth and let them "clean" away. I also let them paint toys with water. They get a big kick out of that!

Just a few ideas.
Sugar Magnolia 12:03 PM 03-05-2014
I'm a center director, and frankly, I'm shocked. Please take control of the situation and DEMAND proper staffing. NOBODY can handle 14 one year old, its not just illegal, its a major safety concern. "Bad room"??? That's way out of line. This should be TWO classrooms, period.
"hey director, this situation is so bad, if I don't get full time help, I will report this immediately."

And parents pick up and see 14 kids of that age and say NOTHING?

I'M SO SORRY you have to deal with this.
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I'm a center director, and frankly, I'm shocked. Please take control of the situation and DEMAND proper staffing. NOBODY can handle 14 one year old, its not just illegal, its a major safety concern. "Bad room"??? That's way out of line. This should be TWO classrooms, period.
"hey director, this situation is so bad, if I don't get full time help, I will report this immediately."

And parents pick up and see 14 kids of that age and say NOTHING?

I'M SO SORRY you have to deal with this.
I don't know, but as an employee already wouldn't she (OP) be considered a mandated reporter now?

If so, she HAS to report this...daily if necessary. ANY time the room is out of ratios.
Heidi 12:28 PM 03-05-2014
I don't know, but as an employee already wouldn't she (OP) be considered a mandated reporter now?

If so, she HAS to report this...daily if necessary. ANY time the room is out of ratios.
yeah...

It'd be one thing to be out of ratios if a teacher got suddenly sick (I wouldn't report that), but to set it up that way? It does sound like she has an assistant part of the day, though.

14 1-year old is simply too many children in one room. 7 one year olds in one room is already a lot, if they could be split.

At the very least, besides help ALL the hours you're there, they need to provide enough materials and equipment to keep the children occupied.

Assuming that you would now be in ratios, I would break the room up in smaller pieces, and try to add a bunch of soft fabrics and lower lighting to bring down the stimulation. For toys, without them spending a fortune, you could even use empty formula containers, scraps of fabric, blocks made from shoe boxes, soft balls from the dollar store, some dolls and books from Goodwill, a few hats, a mirror. I could gladly make a list for you. Think outside the box. YOU should not be investing your own money.

Art IS something that should be offered every day, but not under those conditions, and product-oriented art is not developmentally appropriate.
craftymissbeth 12:30 PM 03-05-2014
This situation reminds me of the post discussing daycares that include the words stockade or zoo in their names
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
yeah...

It'd be one thing to be out of ratios if a teacher got suddenly sick (I wouldn't report that), but to set it up that way? It does sound like she has an assistant part of the day, though.

14 1-year old is simply too many children in one room. 7 one year olds in one room is already a lot.

At the very least, besides help ALL the hours you're there, they need to provide enough materials and equipment to keep the children occupied.

Assuming that you would now be in ratios, I would break the room up in smaller pieces, and try to add a bunch of soft fabrics and lower lighting to bring down the stimulation. For toys, without them spending a fortune, you could even use formula empty containers, scraps of fabric, blocks made from shoe boxes, soft balls from the dollar store, some dolls and books from Goodwill, a few hats, a mirror. I could gladly make a list for you. Think outside the box. YOU should not be investing your own money.

Art IS something that should be offered every day, but not under those conditions, and product-oriented art is not developmentally appropriate.
Some states have requirements about what type of equipment and how many of each they MUST have.

As far as being REQUIRED to do crafts, I would 100% skip that....

If the director doesn't care about ratios, why care about the crafts .

......and who exactly is going to come punish you for not doing a required craft when they don't do anything about the ratios??????

If I am not mistaken, the ratios for your area state 1:5.

Even having two adults in the room is not cutting it.
Heidi 12:32 PM 03-05-2014
Call the complaint hotline for your state. Don't give your name, if you don't want to. You visited the program, and are concerned because you saw that in the young toddler room, there was a teacher alone with what looked like 12-14 children, and it was chaos.
Imagination's Creations 12:34 PM 03-05-2014
I dont understand why any parent would pay to have their one year old with 13 other one year olds, in a class room with only one teacher and clearly not enough equipment and toys to accommodate all of them??? Im a mother, and that would NEVER happen! I agree, this is more than likely WAY illegal, you're a mandated reporter and have to report it. I would tell your director or boss that you need help and more equipment TODAY or you are reporting them and quitting! Not to mention, it is wrong for anyone to expect you to have to care for that many children by yourself!
Heidi 12:38 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by Imagination's Creations:
I dont understand why any parent would pay to have their one year old with 13 other one year olds, in a class room with only one teacher and clearly not enough equipment and toys to accommodate all of them??? Im a mother, and that would NEVER happen! I agree, this is more than likely WAY illegal, you're a mandated reporter and have to report it. I would tell your director or boss that you need help and more equipment TODAY or you are reporting them and quitting! Not to mention, it is wrong for anyone to expect you to have to care for that many children by yourself!
NO kidding!

Seriously, though, maybe the center has a large proportion of subsidized clients (presumably that no one else will take).

In WI, breaking ratios and providing CRAP care for subsidized clients will now get the center shut down and prosecuted for fraud. But, it went on for years before that happened. If it's private pay clients only, though, the state only does what it feels like doing. Manpower issues, you know...
Sugar Magnolia 01:07 PM 03-05-2014

Yep, totally agree she should report. Forget the Director, she likely won't do anything anyways. This is too dangerous of a situation to demand help.
cheerfuldom 01:13 PM 03-05-2014
I would quit and report the center immediately. I wouldn't even do it anonymously, thats just me though. There is no way I would be a part of a center that allows this treatment. There is no way that a few new activities is going to fix this problem. You are putting up with this class so the director does not really have to hire anyone because she knows they will quit and you will do the work of two people anyway and she is not getting caught for illegal ratios. Hold the director accountable, immediately.
Bookworm 01:42 PM 03-05-2014
NO kidding!

Seriously, though, maybe the center has a large proportion of subsidized clients (presumably that no one else will take).

In WI, breaking ratios and providing CRAP care for subsidized clients will now get the center shut down and prosecuted for fraud. But, it went on for years before that happened. If it's private pay clients only, though, the state only does what it feels like doing. Manpower issues, you know...
This is what I was thinking. It's an all to common problem. Your Director can not tell you to do something she knows is illegal. I'm with the other ladies, report ASAP and quit.
nannyde 02:30 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would quit and report the center immediately. I wouldn't even do it anonymously, thats just me though. There is no way I would be a part of a center that allows this treatment. There is no way that a few new activities is going to fix this problem. You are putting up with this class so the director does not really have to hire anyone because she knows they will quit and you will do the work of two people anyway and she is not getting caught for illegal ratios. Hold the director accountable, immediately.
THIS

It's illegal and immoral. STOP doing it.
Unregistered 04:23 PM 03-05-2014
I was just hired to take over a 3-4 yr old classroom that is having lots of problems! They are within state regs. for ratio, but the kids have no where enough to do. I've made some requests and have given them a list. We'll see if I make it for long! ;-)

I hope things improve for you! Take all this awesome advice seriously. These ladies know what they are talking about.
SilverSabre25 05:20 PM 03-05-2014
I'd quit. Walk--no RUN!--to the next job, hopefully in a better place. and I'd report.

Of course SOME of it is on the parents...who would leave their kid in that situation? i don't get it....
14 07:27 PM 03-05-2014
We have blocks, stuffed animals, toy cars, and a few hard toys that are really more for babies rather than one year olds.

They get bored very quickly. The toys are in a toy box, but I rotate them every 15-30 minutes. But it's just the same stuff over and over.

There's no organization but there's really not much to organize.. just the two tables for snack time and the toy box.

As for crafts, we do those one at a time.. mostly handprint type crafts. And I only do crafts when I have someone there, but it's still quite chaotic.

They don't get to go outside much because I normally don't have the help to take them outside. We have a gym that they go to for thirty minutes in the morning.

Let me add that this is one of the "nicer" daycares in our area.. or so people think. It's definitely one of the most expensive, yet it's in debt. It's a huge daycare, two floors, and it's in a church. If it weren't for the church backing it, it would have gone out of business already.

Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
First of all, I don't mean anything I am going to say to be about you personally. You seem like a very caring teacher who is willing to go the extra mile for your kids. Your director and daycare center, however, have a lot of problems.

There is a reason the kids are acting up. It's not because they are bad. 14 1-year-olds to 1 adult is insane, illegal, and likely contributing to most of the problems. I seriously would report it. You can do that anonymously.

It also sounds like you have very few materials for the kids. 1-year-olds can't be expected to sit long and be on task. I can't imagine they will stay at those two tables long to do anything. What kind of toys do you have? Are they all just thrown into boxes? Are they easy for kids to find and play with? Is there any sort of organization in the room?

It also sounds like there are some inappropriate expectations for the kids. 1-year-olds can't do crafts. They can color, maybe finger paint... but I'd be wary to introduce any art materials if you are alone supervising 14. How can you be sure Jimmy isn't eating glue if you have his 13 hitting, biting classmates to supervise by yourself at the same time?

Are they getting outside? Do you have a gym or a large motor place for them to run around?

The first thing I'd address is the fact that you're illegally understaffed. Like others said, nothing will improve until you get the help you need.

Unregistered 07:42 PM 03-05-2014
Trying to ignore the icky feeling in my belly, thinking this is the better option for care in town

Toys/supplies: Any chance the church would be willing to set up a daycare supply donation drive ? Books, toys, craft items?

Staff: Any local high schools that require volunteer hours? Colleges that need student placements?

Low cost or nearly free items:

under the bed storage box, can become an on the floor sensory bin (when 2 adults in the room)

empty pop/water bottles: fill with water/oil/food coloring & small items for sensory bottles - google for many ideas

old flannel blanket - turn into a felt board

sock puppets

old hats & mitts
Laurel 04:50 AM 03-06-2014
Besides what everyone else said, I would personally be afraid that if someone else reported it they would come back to you with "You knew what was going on. Why didn't you report this?"
drseuss 06:36 AM 03-06-2014
I can't wrap my brain around any center operating with zero regard for safe ratios. Don't they have surprise inspections?

Would the center be running with proper ratios if some of the staff were moved into different rooms?

I think you are under moral and legal obligation to report this to the authorities. I'd let the director know that is my intention, too.

Sorry you're dealing with this. You must be exhausted in every way.
drseuss 06:37 AM 03-06-2014
By the way, in the state I live in, the room you are in charge of would require four staff people.
Heidi 06:59 AM 03-06-2014
It really bothers me that a church, of all things, would condone this.

There is NO reason that center should be operating in the red. If there are that many children enrolled and the ratios are off, they should be making money. Someone from that church should be scrutinizing their books.
Unregistered 07:04 AM 03-06-2014
Perhaps the church itself is in the red, which is pretty common. The daycare may be a money maker to reduce the overall church debt.

Sometimes churches do not have to follow the same standards as other childcare environments. I wonder if that is the case here? It all just seems incredibly wrong.
craftymissbeth 07:16 AM 03-06-2014
It really bothers me that a church, of all things, would condone this.

There is NO reason that center should be operating in the red. If there are that many children enrolled and the ratios are off, they should be making money. Someone from that church should be scrutinizing their books.
Yep. Not to mention it's not even like they're spending all their money on equipment or supplies, obviously.
cheerfuldom 09:32 AM 03-06-2014
A lot of churches rent out their buildings and are essentially landlords only. They do not run, staff, license, etc. the actual daycare. I know several churches in our town where parts of the property are used for daycares and schools and are not run by church member or affiliated with the church outside of renting the property.

Just had to throw that out there so we don't all attack "church people" when we don't know the full story.

What we do know is that the OP is a part of the system and instead of reporting, she is trying to fix the problem single handedly. It is a SHAME that parents think this is a quality place. That so many 1 year olds are being grouped together with one worker, essentially no toys or age appropriate stimulation, next to no outside time. Sure there is gym time but I would bet that also is over ratio/under staffed/chaotic. Makes me ill to think that all those babies are being treated like animals......piled on top of one another and running around wild.

PLEASE REPORT THIS PLACE AND REFUSE TO WORK FOR A CENTER THAT CLEARLY HAS NO REGARD FOR LICENSING AS WELL AS ETHICAL TREATMENT OF OTHERS.
NeedaVaca 09:38 AM 03-06-2014
Also, if the church is only the landlord I bet they would want to know as well. When the center gets in trouble for this the church will look bad just from association.
Laurel 09:56 AM 03-06-2014
If push came to shove another possibility would be to let the parents of the 1 year olds know about the problem. Once parents start pulling kids, it gets the directors attention as they are losing money.

Of course, you'll probably get fired but to witness the abuse of these children every day (and that is what I think it is...not by you OP, just the situation itself) would be enough for me to quit and and then notify authorities AND parents.

Laurel
Unregistered 10:17 AM 03-06-2014
The church finance committee are the ones that decided the director couldn't hire anyone else right now. Her hands are tied. The whole thing is crazy.
llpa 10:18 AM 03-06-2014
I agree that the church could be landlords and not aware. I rent the lower level of a church building and they have no clue what I do. They put complete trust in me. And if the center is church run, they need to follow the same guidelines as I do to be licensed in this state. I can't believe that this situation hasn't been questioned by a parent or past employee. There is no solution to "fix" the classroom. It just needs to stop. Op, I hope you can find it in yourself to blow the whistle and get these little ones into a situation where they can thrive.
Unregistered 10:23 AM 03-06-2014
No, the church is actually doing okay. If it weren't for the church helping out the daycare, it would have probably closed down by now.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Perhaps the church itself is in the red, which is pretty common. The daycare may be a money maker to reduce the overall church debt.

Sometimes churches do not have to follow the same standards as other childcare environments. I wonder if that is the case here? It all just seems incredibly wrong.

Unregistered 10:26 AM 03-06-2014
Exactly. Even our cots are metal and probably ten years old. I seriously have no clue where the money is going

Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Yep. Not to mention it's not even like they're spending all their money on equipment or supplies, obviously.

My3cents 11:16 AM 03-06-2014
You know all of this is wrong yet you continue to stay and work in this environment? I think you need to report this, asap. I would not give my director a heads up either. She is setting you up to fail. You also need training. Having been in childcare you know this is wrong- Something happens to one of those kids you will be held responsible- Why are one year old's doing arts and crafts and this being held as important at this age. I don't see how basic needs can be met for 14 kids to one provider under age one let alone add to it with arts and crafts. This wrong on so many levels and you either have clients that don't know better or don't care- This makes me mad. I hope your going to do the right thing and report this and most likely get out of there and the mess of it- Shaking my head
My3cents 11:18 AM 03-06-2014
oh ya and kids are not bad either! Esp one year old children!!!

I can understand how you got sucked into this but now its time to do the right thing!
melilley 11:43 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by My3cents:
You know all of this is wrong yet you continue to stay and work in this environment? I think you need to report this, asap. I would not give my director a heads up either. She is setting you up to fail. You also need training. Having been in childcare you know this is wrong- Something happens to one of those kids you will be held responsible- Why are one year old's doing arts and crafts and this being held as important at this age. I don't see how basic needs can be met for 14 kids to one provider under age one let alone add to it with arts and crafts. This wrong on so many levels and you either have clients that don't know better or don't care- This makes me mad. I hope your going to do the right thing and report this and most likely get out of there and the mess of it- Shaking my head

I do have to say though that a lot of centers (I've worked at 3) require 1 yo's to do crafts. I think it's more to make the center look good. The last center I worked at, ART was on the lesson plan (provided by corporate) EVERYDAY. We even had to do "feature" projects to display in the hallway. It was ridiculous. I did do it, but there was ways around doing "art" everyday per say like painting with water or sidewalk chalk.

Here, my 1 yo's love doing art, but they are never forced to do it...and we don't do it everyday!
Hunni Bee 11:44 AM 03-06-2014
Trust me.

Many of the posters here can attest that I was in this same situation for years. When I left my old job, a church run subsidized daycare, I was one of two teachers in a room with TWENTY-SIX 2-5 year olds. Minimal materials, apathetic ignorant director, revolving door of assistants. I seriously had to check your posts to see if you had taken my old job!!

It will NOT get better. If the director is okay with operating like that for even a day, she won't fix it til she's forced to and even then she'll go back as soon as she thinks no one's looking.

Honestly, you don't need to be on here asking about activities. Its much more serious than you may realize. If one of those children gets seriously injured or a parent wises up, you will be held directly accountable. You will go down with the ship. You need to report, and if nothing is done immediately, leave and continue to report. You don't need a CPS case on your record.

I wish you the absolute best and sympathize with you completely. Being a good teacher in a bad environment is very hard. But the ball is in your court.
WImom 11:50 AM 03-06-2014
There are so many things wrong here! You are a mandated reporter. These children are not getting a great start and proper care. It is also not fair to you.

Ratios way off, not enough toys per child, old/worn out cots/not enough outside time, and I'm sure the list could go on.

Please report!!

For now I'd get them some toys if you can - do you have a goodwill or consignment shop, Craigslist? A toy kitchen, some play food, dolls, chunky cars, board books, Sensory Bottles (you can make), Little People. A radio for music time - I'm sure they would love dancing around.

For art - painting, finger painting with pudding, etc. (when you have two teachers - it would be impossible to do with one). I also agree forget about the crafts all together.
Heidi 12:44 PM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Trust me.

Many of the posters here can attest that I was in this same situation for years. When I left my old job, a church run subsidized daycare, I was one of two teachers in a room with TWENTY-SIX 2-5 year olds. Minimal materials, apathetic ignorant director, revolving door of assistants. I seriously had to check your posts to see if you had taken my old job!!

It will NOT get better. If the director is okay with operating like that for even a day, she won't fix it til she's forced to and even then she'll go back as soon as she thinks no one's looking.

Honestly, you don't need to be on here asking about activities. Its much more serious than you may realize. If one of those children gets seriously injured or a parent wises up, you will be held directly accountable. You will go down with the ship. You need to report, and if nothing is done immediately, leave and continue to report. You don't need a CPS case on your record.

I wish you the absolute best and sympathize with you completely. Being a good teacher in a bad environment is very hard. But the ball is in your court.
Hunni's not the only one's who's said this, but .... ALL THE WAY! If nothing else, cover your own a**, OP! What's going on there is wrong!
Heidi 12:50 PM 03-06-2014
I just realized something, OP. You said "I have 2 toddlers of my own" Where do THEY go to daycare? I'm going to assume you don't take them into that classroom with you....
Unregistered 07:12 PM 03-06-2014
I agree with everyone that this needs to be reported, and I will do that anonymously. But quitting certainly won't help. They'll just put someone in there that doesn't care, like most of the other employees, and then the kids DEFINITELY won't get any help. Plus, I'm a mother of two and I need employment. That being said, I am looking into other daycares to work at.

Originally Posted by My3cents:

Blackcat31 06:16 AM 03-07-2014
I agree with everyone that this needs to be reported, and I will do that anonymously. But quitting certainly won't help. They'll just put someone in there that doesn't care, like most of the other employees, and then the kids DEFINITELY won't get any help. Plus, I'm a mother of two and I need employment. That being said, I am looking into other daycares to work at.
Have you considered opening a daycare of your own?

There seems to be a need for it in your area.
Unregistered 06:58 AM 03-07-2014
Curious to know where the money is going to?

Little to no supplies being purchased.

High numbers.

Little staff.

Church helping out a bit.

Do parents or daycare provide food?
Laurel 09:33 AM 03-07-2014
If this daycare is somehow not under licensing rules (because they are church run or for whatever reason), I'd call Child Protective Services, T.O.D.A.Y. Children that are getting body slammed, hair pulled, hit and bitten as a matter of course is child neglect...plain and simple. I said abuse earlier but neglect is more the case here. The adults are not keeping the children safe and that is neglect no matter what the reason.

Laurel
My3cents 10:36 AM 03-07-2014
I can't imagine your making enough at this center to justify staying- Quitting will help, because it shows that you won't tolerate what is going on. I would not quit quietly- Find another job or open up your own daycare, but I suggest you take on some training so you can venture some avenues of helps. I wish you the best- Let us all know how reporting went and how you make out.
Tags:centers, illegal daycare, mandated reporter
Reply Up