Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing Patience...What Do You Do?
Christina72684 10:30 AM 03-07-2014
These past few months (well actually since I had my son 7 months ago today) I feel like I don't have the patience that I used to. Maybe it's because I'm raising 2 kids of my own (my daughter will be 3 next week), maybe it's because we've been stuck inside all winter with the below zero temps and so much snow, maybe it's just me.....but I feel like I get frustrated with the kids more quickly now than I used to. Before if it happened I could blame it on pregnancy hormones lol but not anymore. I have preschoolers and after schoolers and most days they drive me nuts, especially the AS because they're all boys. I don't know if kids are just meaner now than they used to be or maybe I don't remember what it was like growing up (I'm only 29 lol).

I get so angry when they don't listen. We have a sticker chart that helps sometimes, but I can only give and take away stickers so much. Like right now I have 3 of my 7 kids still awake (my daughter included!) and they keep messing with stuff and won't sleep. I don't force them to sleep, but if they don't they get super cranky in the afternoon which their parents and myself do not want.

Maybe I need more structure but they need to have free time to play too, and that's when a lot of the problems occur. Either they aren't sharing, taking toys, pushing, hitting, running, saying bad words, etc. I start out calm but it build and builds. Please understand, I would never lay a hand on a child and never have. I don't use language I shouldn't use, and I don't scream either. I do raise my voice when needed but sometimes they get so loud that I have to. I've only been doing this for 2.5 years so compared to many of you I'm still new at this and still learning.

Do you do anything to help you keep your calm? I try not to let things bother me, but I just seem to lose patience so easily. Maybe I'm not meant to work with kids
Tdhmom 10:51 AM 03-07-2014
I feel this same way most days. I know my 'problem areas' so to speak are a set if 5 yr old twins that I haven't had the heart to term knowing I would only have Them for a year. So I'm trying to stick it out but I know as soon as they're out of the door I will be doing the happy dance

Until then...I try to keep our days pretty structured with lots of activities. And when we do have free play my rules are-if you fight, throw toys, or not keeping hands to yourself then you're with me doing nothing. I had the 5 yr old twin dcb that spent a lot of time at the kitchen table with nothing to do. I still have problems with him don't get me wrong but now they aren't all day long.

My 3 yr old group plays better together then the 5 yr olds

And I'm sure the weather is not helping with your situation. We have cabin fever BAD!!!! I'm going to let them play outside after school today and it is a mud pit!!! And I don't care how mad parents get! Having 6 kids cooped up inside and only going out to walk to and from school wears on ya
butterfly 10:56 AM 03-07-2014
I have to keep my day quite structured to keep control of the kids. I gained a few kids recently and they are WILD! They aren't used to daycare and the rules. I just take control by keeping the activities moving. If I see they aren't interested in what we are doing, I transition to something else. It's a bit of work, but the behaviors are so much better than just allowing free play all day.

Hoping we get some nice weather next week so they can get outside and RUN. They need that time to run and we've had too much cold and snow to allow much time for outside activities.

spinnymarie 10:57 AM 03-07-2014
I'm blaming the weather. They don't "need" me nearly as much when they get to run around outside. When we are stuck inside like this I spend all.day. talking to them about what they could/should/would be doing differently. I need the independent play time back!!! But it's coming soon! It's 50 here today and we played outside in the snow/mud/ice/puddles
WImom 11:38 AM 03-07-2014
The kids I have now can not do free play all together. I have to split them up into two groups during free play many days - One group plays in the centers and the other group does table toys (ie: Puzzles, small manipulatives) and then we switch.

I can't wait to get outside everyday. Not just outside but outside WITHOUT Snow!! So they can use the ride on cars, dress up, water tables and sandbox. I think they are bored of the sleds, shovels, digging in snow and using the climbers. Our playhouse are a sheet of ice inside so those have been off limits too.
rosieteddy 03:51 PM 03-07-2014
I don't think its you ,this has been a tough winter.I have been a provider for 28+yrs and I am going nuts. I find if I do a little more structured play ----set up differant things-puzzles games, drawing. I do keep some things in bins and take them out occasionally. I try to keep control before I have to use time out. Needless to say quite a few trucks ,balls and assorted other toys have been put away for awhile. Spring is right around the corner.I am lucky to be going on my vacation (winter paid) next Sat 15th. The only problem is I am going to Disney World ..................WHAT WAS I THINKING. Hang in there next month you will be so happy to be outside and able to be with your own children and still making money .Good Luck.
Reply Up