Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Snow Is Making Me Desperate...
preschoolteacher 11:28 AM 03-10-2014
It's finally above freezing, a glorious 45 degrees, but our backyard is still covered in 3 to 4-foot snow mounds that haven't yet melted. I was so desperate to give the cooped up kids some outdoor play space (they are too little to walk in such deep snow) that I shoveled out two big play zones... Imagine clearing 3-foot deep snow (shoveled all the way to the ground) in two 5-foot sections! We now have our sensory table and picnic table outside, a zone for pushing big trucks, and serving spoons and muffin tins stuck in the snow banks that I couldn't remove. I am sore today! So worth it.
llpa 11:35 AM 03-10-2014
I am totally impressed!!! Enjoy your outside time today!!
melilley 11:38 AM 03-10-2014
Awesome!
It's finally warm here too. Iactually can see some grass, but we have snow piles too. I spent my time outside looking for dog poo...yuck. My dd is supposed to pick it up everyday, but with all the fast storms, it just kept getting buried. Or she just didn't do a good job, probably a mix of both.
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
It's finally above freezing, a glorious 45 degrees, but our backyard is still covered in 3 to 4-foot snow mounds that haven't yet melted. I was so desperate to give the cooped up kids some outdoor play space (they are too little to walk in such deep snow) that I shoveled out two big play zones... Imagine clearing 3-foot deep snow (shoveled all the way to the ground) in two 5-foot sections! We now have our sensory table and picnic table outside, a zone for pushing big trucks, and serving spoons and muffin tins stuck in the snow banks that I couldn't remove. I am sore today! So worth it.
LOL!! We did the same thing yesterday....

,.....but it was for my cats.

They are desperate to get some outdoor time too so my DH and I shoveled out an area, they could walk in without sinking in all the snow.
preschoolteacher 11:52 AM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

They are desperate to get some outdoor time too so my DH and I shoveled out an area, they could walk in without sinking in all the snow.
Haha that's hilarious! A DCD told me he also did the same yesterday for his dog!
jenboo 12:00 PM 03-10-2014
i wouldn't mind giving you some of our 80 degree weather! I can totally share...and i definitely don't need any snow in return, maybe just some clear 70 degree weather.
Its only march....man, summer is going to suck. We are getting a new air conditioner on sat because we almost need to turn it on already.
Sugar Magnolia 12:16 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
i wouldn't mind giving you some of our 80 degree weather! I can totally share...and i definitely don't need any snow in return, maybe just some clear 70 degree weather.
Its only march....man, summer is going to suck. We are getting a new air conditioner on sat because we almost need to turn it on already.
Ahhhhh Nevada....it's a dry heat at least.
Would you like me to send you some oppressive humidity from the Sunshine State? How about some hurricanes?

Good job getting them outside preschoolteacher!
BumbleBee 12:20 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Awesome!
It's finally warm here too. Iactually can see some grass, but we have snow piles too. I spent my time outside looking for dog poo...yuck. My dd is supposed to pick it up everyday, but with all the fast storms, it just kept getting buried. Or she just didn't do a good job, probably a mix of both.
You can see grass???????? Lucky duck!
Sunshine74 08:49 PM 03-10-2014
We could see grass for the first time starting this weekend, and a lot today.... and tomorrow night we are supposed to have a snowstorm.
Laurel 04:33 AM 03-11-2014
I feel for all of you in cold climates. I remember that. I would have never thought of that though. It is such a great idea!

Laurel
melilley 05:43 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
You can see grass???????? Lucky duck!
Just little spots here and there. Yesterday I was outside grilling with no hat or gloves, but had to wear boots because of all the snow...lol
CraftyMom 06:04 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:

We do this too! Makes it possible for us to get outside and move around!

My husband snow-blowed a maze throughout the yard about a month ago and we keep it shoveled. The kids love it for running and pushing their cars!
SquirrellyMama 06:09 AM 03-11-2014
It was 65 degrees here yesterday. It was glorious! Our yard is unfortunately now a lake with mud pits here and there along with some leftover ice.

Cannot wait for spring/summer.

Kelly
Heidi 06:10 AM 03-11-2014
Man, our snow is so compacted and crystal, you can't shovel it...but I raked a bunch down yesterday with my metal rake so that I could open and close my play yard gate again. A good 3 feet melted yesterday!
melilley 06:28 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

We do this too! Makes it possible for us to get outside and move around!

My husband snow-blowed a maze throughout the yard about a month ago and we keep it shoveled. The kids love it for running and pushing their cars!
Ooooh good idea! I have never thought of that!
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Just little spots here and there. Yesterday I was outside grilling with no hat or gloves, but had to wear boots because of all the snow...lol
We get made fun of a lot because we are year-round grillers.

We grill probably 4 out of 7 nights all year long.
Most folks put their grills away for the season.

Grilling here has NO season.
My3cents 11:11 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

you must have chub chub kitty cats that sink- or soft snow- This made me laugh~ My kids go out in the snow and have a blast. We might not stay out long but they love it. I take everyone out and just bundle so long as it is not below 20 and that is going by the feels like temp- might be 29 but feels like 7 no we don't go out. Has to be at least feel like 20. I figure that is a good temp to go by. It would be one thing if I had to go somewhere then I would just do what I had to do and bundle bundle, but I don't so I picked that temp thinking it was a good basis to go on.
My3cents 11:14 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I feel for all of you in cold climates. I remember that. I would have never thought of that though. It is such a great idea!

Laurel
I would rather have the cold climate then deal with some of the critters you all have.......ick........did I say ick~
lovemykidstoo 11:53 AM 03-11-2014
We had a gorgeous day yesterday (almost 50) and today about 45. We can see some grass in some parts, but mostly still snow. Our driveway is clear though so the kids were out yesterday on the driveway and then climbing the huge snow hills on the side of the driveway. Our backyard is off limits due to the lack of dog poop scooping that's been going on! We're not going out today though because of the lack of outside wear that people decided not to bring today. The one dcb who is 3 went home with soaking wet tennis shoes and socks yesterday because he didn't bring boots. Thought momma might figure that one out, but nope, came in same shoes today.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by My3cents:
you must have chub chub kitty cats that sink- or soft snow- This made me laugh~ My kids go out in the snow and have a blast. We might not stay out long but they love it. I take everyone out and just bundle so long as it is not below 20 and that is going by the feels like temp- might be 29 but feels like 7 no we don't go out. Has to be at least feel like 20. I figure that is a good temp to go by. It would be one thing if I had to go somewhere then I would just do what I had to do and bundle bundle, but I don't so I picked that temp thinking it was a good basis to go on.
Yeah...he weighs almost 25lbs
WImom 10:50 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Man, our snow is so compacted and crystal, you can't shovel it...but I raked a bunch down yesterday with my metal rake so that I could open and close my play yard gate again. A good 3 feet melted yesterday!
Here too. My problem now is ice. It got cold again today and now my patio is a sheet of ice from the melted snow. The rest of the snow left is so hard and compacted it is slippery. We went out for about 10 minutes only today because the kids kept slipping on the snow and falling. I had to walk each kid across the ice to get them back inside. ***!!
Sunshine74 05:00 PM 03-12-2014
Forget the grass we saw earlier in the week, it is now covered in a foot of snow.
Tags:snow, snow gear, winter weather
Reply Up