Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toilet Paper and Wipes
Mom o Col 12:36 PM 03-20-2014
I have two little day care girls who are totally potty trained, ages 3 and 5. They generally don't need help in the bathroom. The only problems are I've been noticing we've been going through a ton of toilet paper and that they are clogging up the toilet with the toilet paper and non flush able wipes. I keep wipes in the bathroom because we (my family and daycare kids) use them after going potty. Does anyone have any ideas about limiting how much toilet paper they use? Seems like a silly question now that I've typed it all out but it's driving me nuts.
butterfly 12:41 PM 03-20-2014
They should make toilet paper similar to this... http://lifehacker.com/5864555/remove...box-of-tissues

It seems like if they made them like a tissue, the kids would use less. But then maybe it'd be more fun?
cara041083 12:44 PM 03-20-2014
What I do is if someone need to use the bathroom, I make them tell me. Then I go in there and get there toilet paper or wipes ready depending on what they have to do (when I say ready, I tear it off for them and sit it on the counter and put the roll up). If then don't have to go # 2 then they don't get the wipes. I had the same problem.
Mom o Col 12:48 PM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
What I do is if someone need to use the bathroom, I make them tell me. Then I go in there and get there toilet paper or wipes ready depending on what they have to do (when I say ready, I tear it off for them and sit it on the counter and put the roll up). If then don't have to go # 2 then they don't get the wipes. I had the same problem.
This is what I was guessing I'd need to do. It beats having to plunge the toilet or call an expensive plumber.
itlw8 12:50 PM 03-20-2014
I have seen where some people make a line on the cabinet to where they have to stop with the right amount of paper. As far as the wipes either remove them. keep them in a closet or go in with the children.

The concept of wiping with the wipe and not flushing could be confusing. It could be they use flushable wipes at home or told it was nasty to not flush their toilet paper.

Though I have read flushable wipes will clog a sewer.

What I hate are the ball makers. they use a TON of paper and it really clogs the toilet and sewer. I have to keep teaching the girls to scrunch it not wrap around their hands into a ball.
Blackcat31 12:50 PM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by Mom o Col:
I have two little day care girls who are totally potty trained, ages 3 and 5. They generally don't need help in the bathroom. The only problems are I've been noticing we've been going through a ton of toilet paper and that they are clogging up the toilet with the toilet paper and non flush able wipes. I keep wipes in the bathroom because we (my family and daycare kids) use them after going potty. Does anyone have any ideas about limiting how much toilet paper they use? Seems like a silly question now that I've typed it all out but it's driving me nuts.
Put a sign like this in the bathroom.

Even non-reading kids can "see" how much to use

cara041083 12:51 PM 03-20-2014
It was a pain at first, but it did't matter how many times I tried to talk to the kids it kept happening and of course if they do need more then they yell for me and I go get them more.
Mom o Col 01:01 PM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I love this idea!
Kimskiddos 01:53 PM 03-20-2014
I like the sign idea!

I have always just taught them from the beginning of training 1,2,3 sqares of toilet paper. I usually moniter and assist when needed for BMs.
GKJNIGMN 02:15 PM 03-20-2014
I love the sign idea. I am stealing it.

As soon as I read this post I thought of my own 3 year old ds who clogs the toilet daily.
Shell 04:58 PM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Love this. You have all the answers, don't you
Blackcat31 05:14 PM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Love this. You have all the answers, don't you
The only things I've had the answers to are the things I've previously had issues with... Which means I've had alot of problems over the years.

Experience is a good teacher.
sahm1225 05:19 PM 03-20-2014
I buy the smaller rolls of single ply toilet paper for daycare. It stops them from using a ton since it's not so soft.
nannyde 05:26 PM 03-20-2014
I never allow daycare kids to flush the toilet. I can't trust them with my plumbing. It's insanely expensive to repair.
Crazy8 05:56 PM 03-20-2014
keep the wipes up high. I don't generally use wipes in the bathroom but sometimes I will for a messy poop and even I sometimes go to throw it into the toilet before catching myself, its just habit!

Love the little line sign, I need that for my own kids too! I also prefer the not so fluffy toilet papers - the really soft stuff seems to clog the toilets more. And also my plumber told me those "flushable" wipes aren't good - they still do damage to the pipes or whatever.
Childminder 05:57 PM 03-20-2014
We have a septic, as apposed to a sewer, and we only use one layer tissue Scott to be exact. None of the Northern, Charmin, double quilted layer stuff that clogs toilets and no wipes are allowed in my bathroom. The guy that pumps our septic is amazed that we don't have issues having a day care here, he sees all kind of problem s because of non composing products.
Lucy 06:25 PM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
They should make toilet paper similar to this... http://lifehacker.com/5864555/remove...box-of-tissues

It seems like if they made them like a tissue, the kids would use less. But then maybe it'd be more fun?
Off topic, but you can do this with a paper towel roll also. Great for outdoor picnics and camping. Leave the roll in the plastic bag and punch a hole in the top. Remove the cardboard, and you have an automatic paper towel dispenser!! The towels won't come unrolled and get dirty when they inevitably fall on the ground and unravel as they roll 10 feet away!!! Smash the roll a little bit to fold the cardboard, making it a bit easier to remove it.
daycare_jen 06:20 AM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:

Though I have read flushable wipes will clog a sewer.

they will... our town posted a facebook status calling out certain neighborhoods for clogging the sewers with them and telling them to stop flushing them. lol.

When I have had a dck that was excessive with tp, I have just given them their allotted amount and put the rest up so they don't have access to it.
butterfly 11:31 AM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Off topic, but you can do this with a paper towel roll also. Great for outdoor picnics and camping. Leave the roll in the plastic bag and punch a hole in the top. Remove the cardboard, and you have an automatic paper towel dispenser!! The towels won't come unrolled and get dirty when they inevitably fall on the ground and unravel as they roll 10 feet away!!! Smash the roll a little bit to fold the cardboard, making it a bit easier to remove it.
good tip!
WImom 12:17 PM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I buy the smaller rolls of single ply toilet paper for daycare. It stops them from using a ton since it's not so soft.
I do the same. I also have the wet wipes up higher and they need to ask for those. That way they only get one.
Reply Up