Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quite Jar
Cynthia 10:31 AM 04-02-2014
I'm making a Time out or a calming pillow for kids to sit on . Love this jar I saw on Pinterest . I can see it working for some. Any one use this? http://mammamoiselle.com/2014/01/how...+Mammamoiselle
KDC 10:41 AM 04-02-2014
hmm... Glass jar and an upset child. I do not see a happy ending

In theory, I can see what they're aiming for... And, if it was in a plastic 2 liter bottle, maybe. Maybe my DCK's are just lil' devils! I see sticky blue glitter on my ceiling, walls & carpet. No Thanks!
craftymissbeth 11:25 AM 04-02-2014
I have a Calm Jar like that and both of the children I've let use it while tantruming have calmed down almost instantly. Idk what it is about watching the glitter fall, but they just stop and watch it. It's at least a good opportunity to swoop in and get things figured out while they're having a moment of calm

I'm sure some kid at some point in time is going to throw it and break it... but mine's in a large mason jar and it's actually sturdier than I thought it would be. I also hot glued the lid on and then hot glued around the lid because I was afraid of leaks.
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I have a Calm Jar like that and both of the children I've let use it while tantruming have calmed down almost instantly. Idk what it is about watching the glitter fall, but they just stop and watch it. It's at least a good opportunity to swoop in and get things figured out while they're having a moment of calm

I'm sure some kid at some point in time is going to throw it and break it... but mine's in a large mason jar and it's actually sturdier than I thought it would be. I also hot glued the lid on and then hot glued around the lid because I was afraid of leaks.
I have several science/discovery jars that are glass.

They ARE much sturdier than people are thinking. Mine have been dropped, tossed and pushed off the shelf and haven't broke yet.

Yet.
bklsmum 11:59 AM 04-02-2014
I have about 5 of these in various sizes and colors. I use plastic water bottles to make mine though, large, medium and small and I hot glue the lids on REALLY well.
preschoolteacher 12:07 PM 04-02-2014
I would do plastic, too. But it's a cool idea!
TaylorTots 12:26 PM 04-02-2014
We have them! I made some small ones from kids size plastic water bottles and some larger ones from the normal water bottles and then a couple 1 liter ones as well.
craftymissbeth 01:01 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have several science/discovery jars that are glass.

They ARE much sturdier than people are thinking. Mine have been dropped, tossed and pushed off the shelf and haven't broke yet.

Yet.
I feel like I probably jinxed myself by saying everyone uses them so nicely
Reply Up