Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking a Vacation Week
Christina72684 01:47 PM 04-01-2014
I've only been open 3 years so a lot of stuff is still new to me. I've heard several providers say that they take 1-2 weeks off a year, sometimes paid and sometimes not. The only time we close is for the 6 major holidays plus day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. I would LOVE to close a whole week or two a year, but I'm sort of conflicted when thinking about it. I'm here to watch people's kids so they can work. Most of them don't have many other options. If they didn't have daycare then they would probably have to take off work, which I hate doing that to someone. In the past 3 years we closed for a couple of days when weather was horrible and we got like 8" of snow over night, and once for almost a week when we found a water leak and mold that had to be repaired. But during that time we had 4 kids that had nowhere else to go, so we did a lot of field trips, including going to my mom's house (probably not allowed but we were considered closed). I took a little over 2 weeks off in August last year for maternity leave but the daycare was still open. We have enough workers that I could possibly take some time off and stay open, but I would love to paint the whole place and that would take a few days.

Anyways, my whole point is: When you tell parents that you're closed 1-2 weeks a year, what are their reactions? Are your vacations paid or not? I guess I kind of understand why they would be paid because if I worked in an office somewhere I would eventually get a paid vacation. I guess I should call a few of the local daycares and see what their policies are.
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 04-01-2014
I take two weeks off a year. I plan the dates a year in advance. Parents all have MORE than enough time to make back up arrangements.

If they don't like it, they don't have to sign on with me.

It makes no difference to me as I run my business according to MY needs and if I thought I would lose out financially or not be able to stay in business due to a certain policy then I would most definitely change them but I won't do it just because one or two families here and there don't like it...kwim?

There are sooooo many different providers/programs to choose from that there is a right fit for everyone.

I have a separate building for my child care and I used to have an employee that would work when I took time off but sometimes that is harder than working because I am still worried about things when I am not here to take care of them. It was easier to simply close.

If you want to take a longer vacation and just be closed, then do it. Just tell parents in advance enough for them to make back up arrangements and let them worry about the details... Having kids means all sorts of things so I think it just comes with the territory ya know...

I also think that if you are worried about parents being upset if you charge for vacations, start small and only charge half rates or maybe make parents earn the right to not pay for your vacation based on attendance or longevity.

I used to charge only part timer's for vacation and not the full time families.
I also used to not charge anyone.

Now I charge 52 weeks a year. Regardless.
jenboo 02:03 PM 04-01-2014
This year I am taking a week off in july and two and a half at Christmas time!!
I take them unpaid. I save up for them throughout the year.
The parents have known since January so they have 7 months to a year to make other arrangements. If I enroll any new families, I tell them my closures at the interview so they are fully aware.
itlw8 08:34 AM 04-02-2014
I only take 1 week paid vacation but I also take 13 state holidays of with pay

I will be adding 1 more week vacation possibly unpaid.

Look at it this way when you burn our from never taking time out what are they going to do then when you quit You deserve time off with pay. I bet most of them get vacation. I ask in feb if there is a good or bad time for my vacation. I tend to take mine the end of July. Many kids go to grandmas if they do not want to take their vacation the same week. Of hire a teen to come to their house. they have 4 to 5 months to figure it out.
Second Home 08:54 AM 04-02-2014
I take 1 week in the summer to be with my kids or go away . I also take the week my kids have off around Christmas . I do not get paid for my vacations , my policy is if I am closed then I do not charge .
coolconfidentme 08:58 AM 04-02-2014
My contract advises them I will take two weeks off per year. I give them a 6 month notice on the 1st vacation & a year notice on the 2nd one. I posted it on checkinkids.com. I also repost it 1 month before for the vacation as a reminder.

Parents will make you feel bad if you let them. I don't anymore.
NeedaVaca 09:07 AM 04-02-2014
I take 2 weeks paid vacation, 3 personal or sick days and 8 holidays off paid. I have never had a parent complain in any way about this, they tell me to have a great break I let them know this during the interview process and also know I have never had someone not sign up because of this policy.
Play Care 09:29 AM 04-02-2014
I take three weeks off each year. Like Black Cat said I build my business around MY needs. It's not as if I force a family to sign on with me and I'm very upfront about my time off during the interview.
boysx5 11:00 AM 04-02-2014
Everyone deserves time offand if you give parents enough notice they can take the same time as you or make other arrangements. I'm a better person when I get time off
TaylorTots 11:32 AM 04-02-2014
In my handbook I give myself 10 personal unpaid days. We take a week family vacation in the summer (5 business days off) and we always have an extended weekend anniversary trip (2 business days off). I give myself the other 3 days for appointments that I cannot do in the evening or weekend... or if I just need a break.

These do not include "emergency" or "illness" days, which are also unpaid - e.g. funeral/my kids are sick/power outage/etc.

I take these holidays unpaid:
*New Years Day
*Memorial Day
*July 4th
*Labor Day
*Thanksgiving Day
*Day after Thanksgiving
*Christmas Eve – childcare closes at 1:00pm (.75 daily rate)
*Christmas Day

I often look at my monthly calendars in advance when planning appointments or vacations as I have some PT kiddos and if I can make 3 appointments I need on the same day when I only have one or two kiddos then I don't feel "bad" as you said about parents having to take a personal day if they don't have backup care.

Taking them unpaid makes me feel better and more confident when I tell parents what days I am taking off. I just plan/save in advance as needed. My parents always say "Thank You for the Notice!" -- occasionally some ask for a backup care providers phone # which I have a list of... and then I have my ONE family that tells me a week after I give notice "Yep, your vacation date will work for us too." I laughed this past time and told them they weren't invited, hehe.
e.j. 11:45 AM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Anyways, my whole point is: When you tell parents that you're closed 1-2 weeks a year, what are their reactions? Are your vacations paid or not? I guess I kind of understand why they would be paid because if I worked in an office somewhere I would eventually get a paid vacation. I guess I should call a few of the local daycares and see what their policies are.
I think most reasonable parents expect that their day care provider will take some vacation time. I generally take 3 unpaid vacation weeks per year. I go over this during the initial interview so they expect it and plan for it - or they don't sign on with me. For those who do sign with me but have a hard time finding back up, I do usually take the same weeks off every year. That way, they can plan to take their own vacation weeks at the same time I do.
Unregistered 10:31 PM 04-03-2014
I take four paid holidays.

The paid holidays are Thanksgiving, labor and Memorial Day, & July 4th.

I close Christmas, day after Christmas, day after Thanksgiving, New Year's Day unpaid.

I take one week unpaid off. I feel since I am self-employed I should budget for that time off.
Tags:vacation
Reply Up