Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Egg Allergy
WImom 05:44 AM 04-11-2014
Anyone deal with this before? I had an interview yesterday for a 2y old with a severe egg allergy.

Mom said I would need to give her my menu on Friday and she could highlight what DCG couldn't have and would send a substitute item. I think lunch that would be fine but snack I'm not as planned for ahead of time.

I'm worried about activities. We do a lot with homemade playdoh, science with different items, art with noodles, etc. With me being the only one here it's not like I can engage her in a different activity while we do the activity she can't do.

I worry about her being two and putting something in her mouth.

I've had experience with seafood and peanut allergies for kids in the past but never an egg one. Both of the other allergies were not severe either.

As a home provider is it too much risk??
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 04-11-2014
I think it depends on the severity of the allergy.

I mean egg allergies CAN be as serious as peanut allergies.

After reading up on egg allergies....I honestly can't say that as a daycare provider who uses eggs a lot, that I would be comfortable having a kid in care that suffers from allergies of that nature. I would have a really hard time meeting a child's needs who was allergic to eggs.

I found this info: (the last paragraph is what would worry me the most)

The good new is studies show that about 70 percent of individuals outgrow egg allergy symptoms by age 16 (but that doesn't help your situation much).

Most allergic reactions to egg involve the skin; in fact, egg allergy is the most common food allergy in babies and young children with eczema. Egg allergy reactions can range from minor conditions such as hives to severe reactions such as anaphylaxis, which may cause death.

Individuals who are allergic to eggs should be aware that egg protein exposure can occur unexpectedly when eating many foods. Most people know eggs are contained in baked goods such as cakes and muffins, but they may not realize they are also in foods such as canned soups, salad dressings, ice cream, and meat-based dishes like meatballs and meatloaf. Some commercial egg substitutes contain egg protein and should be avoided by those with egg allergy. Egg-allergic individuals should practice vigilant label-reading and ask questions about ingredients and preparation methods before eating foods prepared by others.

http://www.acaai.org/allergist/aller...g-allergy.aspx
SilverSabre25 06:57 AM 04-11-2014
Not a commentary on your specific situation, but as a parent I would have such a hard time sending my severely allergic child out into the world....and at that young I would move heaven and earth to keep my child in a safe bubble at home. My child's severe allergy is MY problem, and not something I could ever foist the responsibility for onto other people
KiddieCahoots 06:58 AM 04-11-2014
I had a child with egg allergies.
It sounds a lot scarier than it actually is.
At meals/snacks, I just kept dcb2 separate from the others, (in a high chair) so dcb couldn't grab anybody else's food, or see what they had, and fed dcb more of the natural foods being served. Lots of fruits and vegetables! I also reinstated my food policies with other dcp's, of no food being brought to the child care, without prior authorization from me.
Make sure you get the twin pack of Epi pen Jr., with all the necessary medical notes.
Tags:allergy - egg, allergy - food, eggs
Reply Up