Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are Pellet Guns Considered The Same As Guns?
Unregistered 04:44 PM 04-14-2014
Do the laws apply to BB guns like they do for handguns? Do I need to have them locked in a safe or can I just have them unloaded in an off-limits (non-DC) room?
Heidi 04:47 PM 04-14-2014
no clue.

I would say, unloaded, in a location inaccessible and out of sight.

I hope so, because my older sons were really into Airsoft for a while, and this is what they did. They kept them in their own rooms, where dc kids never ventured. It never even occurred to me that they could be considered "weapons", in the true sense. Much like a kitchen knife is not a weapon, but I certainly don't let my daycare kids get at them.
Michael 04:50 PM 04-14-2014
I would say when it comes to children. No guns; that would include anything that can shoot a projectile.
craftymissbeth 06:15 PM 04-14-2014
In my state pellet guns and paintball guns are included in the "weapons" regulation and both the guns and ammunition are to be locked away separately.
Unregistered 09:27 PM 04-14-2014
Thanks, someone asked me today if I had guns and it immediately thought no! But then I realized I do have BB guns in the very top shelf of our bedroom closet that our kids got for Christmas. It's considered off limits and daycare kids are never in there plus it has a door handle cover (if not locked) during the day and is unloaded and ammo stored elsewhere.
Second Home 03:32 AM 04-15-2014
Not sure if they would be required to be in a locked safe but I would keep them away from dck and separate from the ammo . A bb or pellet in the eye/face could do some damage .
And to outsiders it can be hard to see the orange nose cap and not realize it isn't a regular gun .
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 04-15-2014
In my state if someone is banned from having weapons they cannot possess a BB gun or pellet gun.

Because of that I would consider both BB guns and pellet guns something that definitely need to be locked away out of reach from any child.
Heidi 06:42 AM 04-15-2014
I want to clarify that mine (my sons) were (no longer here) completely inaccesible to the kids. Just not in a locked GUN safe.
mountainside13 06:45 AM 04-15-2014
Locked away just like a gun. My uncle accidentally hit me in the shin with a BB gun when we were kids. It hurt like crazy!! They are dangerous and I would think every state requires them to be in a safe with ammo locked in a different area.
KiddieCahoots 06:54 AM 04-15-2014
I believe locked away as a gun.
My licensor made me get rid of a squirt gun my son had in the back yard, and advised me to allow him to play with it outside of child care hours.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
My licensor made me get rid of a squirt gun my son had in the back yard, and advised me to allow him to play with it outside of child care hours.
I'm sorry but to me, that is just wrong.

We use squirt guns all summer and in the 20+ years I've been doing this job, not.one.single. DCK has turned into a serial killer or murderer or been violent because they were allowed to use squirt guns on a hot summer day.
KiddieCahoots 07:08 AM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm sorry but to me, that is just wrong.

We use squirt guns all summer and in the 20+ years I've been doing this job, not.one.single. DCK has turned into a serial killer or murderer or been violent because they were allowed to use squirt guns on a hot summer day.
I agree with you Blackcat31!
I've even given children squirt guns in favor bags before.
Times...are...a...changing!
I've seen on the news they won't allow children to bring any type of gun toy to school anymore either.
TwinKristi 07:41 AM 04-15-2014
Hmmmm, I didn't even think about this?? I just googled CA laws on BB guns and the only thing I'm coming up with is the new 2014 law that makes parents accountable for their minors possessing and injuring others? I need to find this out because I didn't consider these "guns"... Our's aren't "locked" in a safe but they are inaccessible to children outside of our daycare space.
mema 07:59 AM 04-15-2014
I would probably lock up and separate ammo even if licensing didn't require it. Too much of a risk with someone elses kid. And if your licensors are like ours, one tells you one thing, the next one another.
Jack Sprat 11:23 AM 04-15-2014
Our pellet guns are locked in the garage in a locked gun safe. The pellets are in a different locked location. In KS they are considered weapons. Our bows and arrows are also locked separately from each other.
dalman 12:29 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
WHAAAT?? That is absolutely ridiculous. My dck's play with squirt guns and super soakers all summer long. This whole gun thing is really getting out of control.
Reply Up