Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Can I Market This?
WImom 12:03 PM 05-15-2014
I currently care for ages 2-5y. I market myself as a preschool in a home environment and I offer K5 readiness. Our school district just decided starting this coming fall half day K4 will now be full day. So it looks like I will be mostly ages 2-3 now with some 4y olds that miss the cut off. I can't market really the same way anymore and I do not want to go under age 2y if at all possible.

I'm thinking I could market kids getting ready for K4 - social skills, self help, etc? Anyone have a good way to word this for advertising?
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 05-15-2014
Formal education will prepare your little one for academic success!

Let me prepare your little one for life!

ABC Home Preschool
~Where life skills are our focus

I don't know...just thinking out loud.

Maybe someone else can build off that and have some awesome ideas for you.

Sorry to hear about the Pre-k for 4 yr olds going full day.... I figure it is going to be the norm everywhere eventually.
Sunchimes 03:28 PM 05-15-2014
We have full day pre-k here too. I'm losing 1/3 of my kids (1 of 3 ). She will be 2 weeks past 4. Scholastically she is more than ready, but her social skills are still awful in spite of all our work. She knows how to use a fork but refuses, she knows the rules and some days seems ready for pre-k. She is very willful and it is all on her whim. We are hoping that being with an unfamiliar adult will intimidate her enough to fall in line. She's too comfortable here. I just think 4 is too young for full day or any formal schooling. It has been a soapbox issue for me for years.
NightOwl 03:54 PM 05-15-2014
Preparing your young child for success in prek!
Or....
Molding young minds for school readiness!
Or...
Is your child prepared for entrance into the school system? He will be after leaving my program!
daycarediva 03:54 PM 05-15-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
We have full day pre-k here too. I'm losing 1/3 of my kids (1 of 3 ). She will be 2 weeks past 4. Scholastically she is more than ready, but her social skills are still awful in spite of all our work. She knows how to use a fork but refuses, she knows the rules and some days seems ready for pre-k. She is very willful and it is all on her whim. We are hoping that being with an unfamiliar adult will intimidate her enough to fall in line. She's too comfortable here. I just think 4 is too young for full day or any formal schooling. It has been a soapbox issue for me for years.
I agree. Even the most mature of my 4's still need plenty of down time and free choice with structured things mixed in throughout the day.

I too, think universal prek will be pushed nationwide. I already lowered the ages I accept from 2y to 18m, I don't want to go any lower. Fortunately in my area, it's a lotto system and income based/low income gets first priority. (low income here would qualify for daycare assistance......so they are usually enrolled in a program with SOME type of prek). Idk, I feel like the government is squeezing out the little guys.

I would probably say something like; specialty care for the transition from toddler to preschooler with a focus on preschool readiness including; potty training, social skills, listening and following directions, taking turns, colors, shapes, letter recognition..........

I just have my fingers crossed that the movement to developmentally appropriate practice continues to rise. A LOT of parents are steering away from ditto and desk type preschool education and moving towards play based. The last interview I had SPECIFICALLY said "No worksheets. No flash cards."
cheerfuldom 06:23 PM 05-15-2014
I wouldnt try to compete with the school, I would offer the opposite which would be to emphasize play based, home environment. I would highlight all the ways I am different than the school as well as provide research and information on how early structured educational environments do a disservice to children. Let parents know what the school is teaching a preK student and how those academic goals can be reached outside of the strict environment.
melskids 10:46 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I wouldnt try to compete with the school, I would offer the opposite which would be to emphasize play based, home environment. I would highlight all the ways I am different than the school as well as provide research and information on how early structured educational environments do a disservice to children. Let parents know what the school is teaching a preK student and how those academic goals can be reached outside of the strict environment.

Reply Up