Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cover Cough Sneezes Age
WImom 08:26 AM 06-03-2014
When do you expect kids to remember to do this after you have reminded them over 100 times? I'm not saying 100% but most of the time or attempt to do it? I have an almost 3y old (3 in Aug.) that just refuses. She seems to have many cold/coughs as well and once again everyone has a cough due to her coughing on us and on everything. It's been a month and still nothing. I will say "cover" and model and as I'm saying it she will cough again and not cover! What do I do here? All the other kids cover most of the time ages 2-5y. She has been here since jan. So she's had lots of chances to learn. It's driving me nuts!
playground1 08:45 AM 06-03-2014
I'd make a project out if talking about germs, without focusing on her. She's doing it because it's getting her attention.
daycarediva 09:41 AM 06-03-2014
Germs are not for sharing. Buy the book, read it to them daily. My dcks are all mini germaphobes now.

I also hid mini 'germs' on things that they typically mouth, and that really got them thinking. Now if they see another kid even mouth a toy, or put fingers in their mouth someone will say GERMS "Go wash your hands!" "Put the toy in the dirty toy bin!" EVERYONE covers their noses and mouths now, too. Mine are all 2-5.
mamamanda 09:46 AM 06-03-2014
I had a 3 year old with a similar issue and yes, she is sick more often than anyone so it was frustrating when she wouldn't cover. She would also make herself burp on purpose while turning her body toward other kids at the lunch table. After REPEATEDLY reminding her for weeks, I had finally had enough. I set up a table for her close enough to our table that she could participate in conversation, but far enough away that she couldn't cough or burp on anyone. I explained that passing our germs to others isn't nice and that when she was ready to use her manners and cover her mouth she was more than welcome to rejoin the group at the table. It only took that one meal and she has consistently covered her mouth since. Every once in a while she forgets which is to be expected, but as soon as I say "cover" she does and she apologizes. Maybe something like that would work with your little one. If she's coughing on kids during playtime, maybe she could play in an area by herself. You don't want to isolate her, but make a big enough deal out of it that she realizes she is missing out on something if she doesn't at least attempt to cover. Good luck!
llpa 10:27 AM 06-03-2014
Mine are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 and they both remember 90% of the time to cover
Chellieleanne 10:41 AM 06-03-2014
My own 3yo tries to remember and does make an effort even if it is after the fact
2.5dcb does not at all even with reminders
My own 2yo doesn't but he hardly ever coughs or sneezes that I have been aware of at least

I think by 3 they should be able to cover their nose/mouth. I have also been teaching my 3yo to use his elbow instead of his hand and it is 50/50 on when he does though.
WImom 11:08 AM 06-03-2014
Yeah, she is quick to tell EVERYONE else to "Cover" even when they are. I think it's annoying me the most that she isn't even trying. I have been praising the others too hoping she would start doing it. We did just have a "germ week" and I've read the book many times. I think I will talk to mom and dad today, they are really good with doing things at home to help her here.
KiddieCahoots 04:37 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by WImom:
Yeah, she is quick to tell EVERYONE else to "Cover" even when they are. I think it's annoying me the most that she isn't even trying. I have been praising the others too hoping she would start doing it. We did just have a "germ week" and I've read the book many times. I think I will talk to mom and dad today, they are really good with doing things at home to help her here.
I was going to suggest talking to mom and dad. My extremely intelligent, but stubborn dcg was 2 and a half and refused, until mom and dad were enlisted into the battle.
I was told by my CDA instructor that at the age of 1 and a half, you can start working with children on the issue, and will mostly see them cough and sneeze, then cover, (it's too cute!) By 2yrs their brain function/abilities is able to grasp the idea, and they should have the covering of the cough down. Once they understand and get the cough down, the sneeze quickly follows.
Reply Up