Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Throwing When Mad...HELP!
WImom 08:27 AM 06-20-2014
What would you do for a 3.5yold that throws or tips over items when she mad? If it's clean up time (no matter how many times I warn her, 5m, 2m, other transitioning techniques, etc.) she will sometimes get mad and scream, throw what is in her hand and then tipping things over around her. The other day another child got hit in the head with a toy camera, she knocked over our play store. In the past she has knocked over chairs or thrown books.

I have told mom that she needs to call the pediatrician because this has been happening for months now, recently another child got hurt though. I have talked to mom about it several times now so she is aware.

This also will not happen every time and not always when it's clean up time. Sometimes just if I say no to something. Sometimes not at all! I'm tired of tip toeing wondering if it's going to happen!!

What would you do regarding this? No let her play with toys (have a basket of soft ones for her to play with after she throws)? I do remove her from the area to calm down but lately she has been running around the room screaming kicking me, etc. Do it's taking my attention away from the group.

She can be a great kid. Does have some other things like, copying kids when they ask her not to, she has always has some type of anger issue here since she started in November 2013. Up until then she was home with her dad, just the two of them so I figured it was just her getting used to being with a group of kids.

Help please!!
Second Home 09:35 AM 06-20-2014
If a child ( who is old enough to know better) throws a toy they are no longer allowed to play with that toy , the next day they get another chance . There have been times where a child as not allowed to play with many of the favorite toys . They were not happy but eventually they learned .

I am not sure this will help you out since none of my dck throw constantly out of anger.
cara041083 10:24 AM 06-20-2014
Here if a child throws a toy, they loose the toy and get a warning. If they do it again they sit away from the group the rest of the day. At that age they should know better. I would tell them in the morning about it and then if they do it then there chance for the day is gone! Here I don't care if they sit and watch everyone else play if they can't be nice. Rinse and repeat. After a few days of watching everyone else play. The will stop doing it. Just my experience
WImom 11:08 AM 06-20-2014
I have my daycare split into two spaces - play area and table toy area/book center. So I do not let her play in the play area anymore for the day once she throws. If she does it again with books/or manipulatives at the table then she is done playing with toys all together for the day. I also do this if they refuse to pick up (after the "you can't move on to the next activity doesn't work" - if it's time for outside or lunch then I they have to participate so they lose the play area instead).

This hasn't seemed to work with her after month of this which is why I'm wondering why??
cara041083 11:46 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by WImom:
I have my daycare split into two spaces - play area and table toy area/book center. So I do not let her play in the play area anymore for the day once she throws. If she does it again with books/or manipulatives at the table then she is done playing with toys all together for the day. I also do this if they refuse to pick up (after the "you can't move on to the next activity doesn't work" - if it's time for outside or lunch then I they have to participate so they lose the play area instead).

This hasn't seemed to work with her after month of this which is why I'm wondering why??
What does the parent say or do? I had a child like that but once they went home the parents didn't even mention it to the child again and every day was a repeat of the day before. I ended up terming but I put up with it for months. Could u give them a two week warning?
Tags:anger, throwing
Reply Up