Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Changing - What Do You Use?
midaycare 08:02 AM 07-07-2014
I have mostly older kids - in the 1-3 age ranges. I need a diaper changing solution that doesn't take up too much room, is cheap (yeah, right), and can fit the bigger kids, as well as infants if and when I decide I want to take them.

I really like changing kids on the floor, but I need to know what I need in order to be in compliance, and I'm confused on this. The bathroom is upstairs, so I have to do it downstairs in the dc area, but I do have an area that is tiled flooring and would work, right next to a sink.

I've check on Amazon and some other sites, but just can't seem to find an easy solution that fits all of the above.

Help!
cara041083 08:06 AM 07-07-2014
I use a flat plastic changing table mat that I wipe down each use and store it in the bathroom.
SilverSabre25 08:07 AM 07-07-2014
contoured changing pad on the floor. And when I'm not using it, Command (the brand) velcro--one piece on the wall and one piece on the pad. Keeps it neat and out of the way and is super easy to put away/take down.

Also, around 2 I start doing standing changes for diapers that are just wet.
midaycare 08:10 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
contoured changing pad on the floor. And when I'm not using it, Command (the brand) velcro--one piece on the wall and one piece on the pad. Keeps it neat and out of the way and is super easy to put away/take down.

Also, around 2 I start doing standing changes for diapers that are just wet.
Ohhh ... I have the perfect place to velcro something like this. Where did you buy it? Is it a Target or similar purchase?
Crazy8 08:14 AM 07-07-2014
I have a full size changing table with a contoured pad on it (see link below). Can use one of those on the floor, I just don't like bending down so much (I have all 0-3 yr olds).

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-...s=changing+pad
SilverSabre25 08:15 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Ohhh ... I have the perfect place to velcro something like this. Where did you buy it? Is it a Target or similar purchase?
Yep Target is where I found it, with all the other Command hooks and stuff.
midaycare 08:16 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I have a full size changing table with a contoured pad on it (see link below). Can use one of those on the floor, I just don't like bending down so much (I have all 0-3 yr olds).

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-...s=changing+pad
Crazy8, does that also fit your 3 year olds?
Leigh 08:16 AM 07-07-2014
I have started using a kindermat. It's easy to wipe down with bleach water, and can be stored in a drawer.
Baby lady 08:21 AM 07-07-2014
I use this one

http://www.ecmdstore.com/Product/Pro...&Brand=&Price=

I have it on top of my washer and dryer, but it could be used anywhere. It lasts much better than the white vinyl ones I used to use.
midaycare 08:26 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Baby lady:
I use this one

http://www.ecmdstore.com/Product/Pro...&Brand=&Price=

I have it on top of my washer and dryer, but it could be used anywhere. It lasts much better than the white vinyl ones I used to use.
Babylady does this fit the bigger kids, too? It looks snug for a infant, I'm not sure about the bigger ones. I did see this on Amazon, and it looked promising for little ones.
sharlan 08:27 AM 07-07-2014
I use hand towels on the floor. I only have one in diapers and I only change him 2 - 3 times a day.
midaycare 08:27 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have started using a kindermat. It's easy to wipe down with bleach water, and can be stored in a drawer.
Clever!
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 07-07-2014
Same here. Once the kindermat has seen it's usefulness, it's easy to just buy another one.

Too many of these toddlers and non-trained preschoolers are way too big to expect them to be up off the ground safely.

I change everyone on the floor on a kindermat either in the bathroom or right outside the bathroom door.
Meeko 08:35 AM 07-07-2014
I have a portable table. In the picture, it's bare.....but I use vinyl elasticated covers from Harriet Carter or Miles Kimball website in various patterns and colors depending on the time of year (they have Christmas ones etc) that I can wipe down easily.

The shelves for diapers are actually CD storage shelves that my husband hung on the wall behind the table. They are the perfect width for diapers.
Attached: Changing area-1.jpg (67.4 KB) 
Baby lady 09:03 AM 07-07-2014
Babylady does this fit the bigger kids, too? It looks snug for a infant, I'm not sure about the bigger ones. I did see this on Amazon, and it looked promising for little ones.
It does, my oldest in diapers is a boy who will be 3 next month.
midaycare 09:09 AM 07-07-2014
Thanks everyone, lots of great options. I'm glad to know that these pass regulations. I think I was getting too technical in my thinking. But you know ... sone rules are crazy strict, and some are oddly loose.
jenboo 09:10 AM 07-07-2014
Unfortunately I don't have many options due to the health department. My sister bought me a fabulous folding changing table with hanging pockets for storage that I had in my daycare room. The health department said that I needed to be closer to a hands washing sink. My bathroom is way too small so I change them in the hallway. I have a little counter space and cabinets that are built in to the hallway. I change here on a contoured changing pad.
SilverSabre25 09:17 AM 07-07-2014
To be fair, I'm unlicensed so no regs to worry about but since mine is set up in my bathroom I imagine it would pass...
melilley 11:28 AM 07-07-2014
Here, in MI you can have a changing pad and place it on a surface that can be sanitized. So, if you wanted to put the pad on the tile floor, it would work. That's what I do in my bathroom. I use soap water, rinse water, and then bleach water. Cheapest way to go to sanitize! Just remember that you have to have a garbage can for diapers right there.
midaycare 11:39 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Here, in MI you can have a changing pad and place it on a surface that can be sanitized. So, if you wanted to put the pad on the tile floor, it would work. That's what I do in my bathroom. I use soap water, rinse water, and then bleach water. Cheapest way to go to sanitize! Just remember that you have to have a garbage can for diapers right there.
Whew! Oh my goodness! So after you change a diaper, you use soapy water on the changing pad, then rinse it off, then bleach water on the changing pad? Do you have 3 separate bottles for this?
melilley 11:45 AM 07-07-2014
Whew! Oh my goodness! So after you change a diaper, you use soapy water on the changing pad, then rinse it off, then bleach water on the changing pad? Do you have 3 separate bottles for this?
Yep, that's what I do! The bleach water is supposed to be made every day so I bought little spray bottles and labeled them. You're supposed to let the bleach water air dry, but if you have multiple changes to do, you're supposed to let it sit on for 2 min. then wipe. I honestly don't do that, but do let it air dry after. I also have separate set of bottles to clean/sanitize high chairs, tables, etc.. with. Oh and you can only use straight, original bleach. The ratio of bleach to water is really low. I'm sorry, I can't remember what it is, but I think it's a cap full per gallon, so I just put a little in the bottle and add water. You could probably do a search or look it up online to see the actual ratio.

Oh, my consultant also said that you can change on carpet, but you have to have something in between the carpet and pad, like a shower curtain or something that can be sanitized. The tiled area sounds perfect, as long as it's not around the food area. And the sink has to be separate from the food prep sink, but you probably already know that.
AmyKidsCo 01:02 PM 07-07-2014
I have a full size changing table in my playroom so I can change without leaving the children.

Here we can use the disinfecting solution to clean and disinfect, as long as you do it twice. In other words, spray and wipe to clean, then spray and wipe to disinfect. I use 2 Clorox wipes - much quicker and easier than different bottles!
TwinKristi 03:33 PM 07-07-2014
I use a diaper bag style folding changing pad that I lay on the floor and wipe down with Clorox wipes. I also have a changing table pad I can use if my inspector didn't like my current setup. I walk into the kitchen to wash hands because it's closer than the bathroom and not gated.
jenboo 05:00 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I use a diaper bag style folding changing pad that I lay on the floor and wipe down with Clorox wipes. I also have a changing table pad I can use if my inspector didn't like my current setup. I walk into the kitchen to wash hands because it's closer than the bathroom and not gated.
The health department makes me leave all the kids unattended while I go change a diaper on the other side of the house because I can't walk through a gate before washing my hands or wash them in the kitchen
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:35 PM 07-07-2014
My washer and dryer are "in" my kitchen.. at one end with doorways and walk way space that "separates it" So I can have a gate between my kitchen and washer and dryer. SO my changing pad is on that. Shelves above hold diapers clothes etc. I change diaper, plop them on other side of gate at other end of kitchen. Wipe down changing area and wash my hands.
If I didn't have the dryer there to put the changing pad on I would use the floor.
CraftyMom 05:58 PM 07-07-2014
I have a large vinyl mat that I use right on the floor. It's actually a chef's mat but serves the purpose well

I sanitize after each use and I store it between the wall and cabinet
Cynthia 06:28 PM 07-07-2014
I have a folding table from Ikea with a vinyl mat in my hall bathroom. I can see right in my play room. Also use Clorox Wipes lhttp://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80091713/ Table folds away so bathroom can be used for Guested.
Jack Sprat 12:51 PM 07-10-2014
That's what I use as well.
Tags:diaper changing procedures, diaper changing station
Reply Up