Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CARE Courses in Wisconsin?
AuntTami 02:48 PM 07-14-2015
I'm looking into becoming a certified daycare and I know there are a couple courses I need to complete before I can do that.

Does anyone know (Heidi? BlackCat?) if the care courses are approved for WI for this? I've looked on the care site and looked at the course requirements but I can't find a definitive answer of whether or not they meet the WI standards?

If they don't, what's my next option? The local tech and paying the $300+ for each course?
Unregistered 03:42 PM 07-14-2015
There's an agency out of West Allis (I think)that is approved for online classes. May be the only one besides the local vo-tech in your area.

Your certifying agency should know.
AuntTami 05:50 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
There's an agency out of West Allis (I think)that is approved for online classes. May be the only one besides the local vo-tech in your area.

Your certifying agency should know.
Thanks. I'm going to call them today and ask, just was wondering last night since they weren't open at 10pm lol.
Heidi 06:05 AM 07-15-2015
If you can, I would consider taking a for-credit course at the tech school. Introduction to ECE is a good one. The way WI is going, the non-credit courses really don't count for much in the long run, and honestly, the for-credit ECE courses are not difficult at all.

I took most of mine through Northeast Technical College.

Here are a couple links to help:

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/licensed/index.htm

https://www.the-registry.org/

And Tammi, if you're thinking about becoming regulated, I'd strongly consider going to licensing vs. certification. Honestly, the rules are almost identical now (in fact, some certification rules are stricter). The only difference is that for licensing you need a fenced in area outside of 600 sq ft.

I will PM you my phone number; call me at nap time any day but Friday. I'd be happy to mentor you, if you like. I've brought 3 other providers into this business over the years
AmyKidsCo 07:27 AM 07-15-2015
According to their website, their courses are accepted in WI. http://www.carecourses.com/PublicPag...Wisconsin.aspx

But...

I'm in WI too and totally agree with Heidi - go for licensing instead of certification. I also agree to go through a Tech college instead of CARE. Online is nice but I think it's more helpful to have state-specific training.
Heidi 07:35 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
According to their website, their courses are accepted in WI. http://www.carecourses.com/PublicPag...Wisconsin.aspx

But...

I'm in WI too and totally agree with Heidi - go for licensing instead of certification. I also agree to go through a Tech college instead of CARE. Online is nice but I think it's more helpful to have state-specific training.
Plus, most of the tech colleges offer their courses online now. You can get your entire degree from a state tech college, and rarely have to go to campus. There are online discussion groups and for Practicums, your instructor will visit your program. I did have to go out of my program for some part of my last 2 practicums, though. Still, that's only if one is going for a degree.
AuntTami 10:10 AM 07-15-2015
I've been thinking on this since I started and a couple things are swaying me towards certification instead of licensing
1. We rent our house from my DH parents and it isn't fenced in. We could put a fence in but we aren't planning on staying for more than 5 years and it's a huge expense we don't have the money for, especially since this isn't OUR property or our "forever" home.
2. I don't want to become certified or licensed at all to be honest, but one of my current families is going to pull unless she can get state assistance because she can't afford it. Obviously I wouldn't be doing it for just her, but I love her kid and want to try to help. Certification seems faster than full licensing.
3. The cost. I honestly can't afford the for credit courses at the tech. They're much more expensive than CARE courses and I am not eligible for student loans or financial aid due to past student loans being in default from when I was 18 and newly in college.
Heidi 11:02 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I've been thinking on this since I started and a couple things are swaying me towards certification instead of licensing
1. We rent our house from my DH parents and it isn't fenced in. We could put a fence in but we aren't planning on staying for more than 5 years and it's a huge expense we don't have the money for, especially since this isn't OUR property or our "forever" home.
2. I don't want to become certified or licensed at all to be honest, but one of my current families is going to pull unless she can get state assistance because she can't afford it. Obviously I wouldn't be doing it for just her, but I love her kid and want to try to help. Certification seems faster than full licensing.
3. The cost. I honestly can't afford the for credit courses at the tech. They're much more expensive than CARE courses and I am not eligible for student loans or financial aid due to past student loans being in default from when I was 18 and newly in college.
BUT...

The reimbursement rate for certified providers for state assistance is 75% of what you would get licensed. I can't remember what county you're in, so you'll have to look here:

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/wishares/rates.htm

That alone will most likely pay for that fencing. Especially since you will be on "the list" once you are regulated, and will most likely gain clients that way.

The fence does NOT have to be fancy. It can literally be snow fence. I had that for a while at my old house for budget reasons.

If you're really considering this, please call me because I can give you lots information you won't get from official channels. If you do decide you want to start out certified, that might be okay, but I would keep your eye on licensing. In the long run, you're way better off licensed than certified!
AuntTami 11:14 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
BUT...

The reimbursement rate for certified providers for state assistance is 75% of what you would get licensed. I can't remember what county you're in, so you'll have to look here:

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/wishares/rates.htm

That alone will most likely pay for that fencing. Especially since you will be on "the list" once you are regulated, and will most likely gain clients that way.

The fence does NOT have to be fancy. It can literally be snow fence. I had that for a while at my old house for budget reasons.

If you're really considering this, please call me because I can give you lots information you won't get from official channels. If you do decide you want to start out certified, that might be okay, but I would keep your eye on licensing. In the long run, you're way better off licensed than certified!
I didn't know snow fencing was okay! That changes a lot then! I was looking at $3000+ for an actual fence! I'll call you tomorrow during nap time!
AmyKidsCo 11:43 AM 07-15-2015
Not to be argumentative, but I'm a huge advocate for licensing over certification, so...

1. You CAN use snow fencing, or that green wire fencing. I've had the green wire for 15 years.

2. I don't know much about assistance because I don't accept it, but I know you can be "provisionally licensed" while you finish up all the licensing requirements.

3. You may be eligible for a TEACH scholarship from WECA. Here's the eligibility requirements: http://wisconsinearlychildhood.org/p...ation-process/ If you're eligible they'll pay 90% of your tuition, plus a majority of your textbooks (I don't remember how much but it's way more than half) plus you'll get mileage and paid for 15 hours of "release time" AND get a cash bonus when you complete your contract. When all is said and done you'll probably end up ahead financially! I hope you'll qualify - TEACH scholarships are AWESOME!
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 07-15-2015
You may not be eligible for student loans but you would still be eligible for federal aide as you would simply be put on academic suspension or academic probation and have to "prove" you can maintain a 2.3 gpa at minimum for one semester. If you do that, then you are released from suspension/probation.

Many times you are also able to write a letter to the school advisor explaining why you defaulted etc and why you are better able to manage school.
Heidi 01:02 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Not to be argumentative, but I'm a huge advocate for licensing over certification, so...

1. You CAN use snow fencing, or that green wire fencing. I've had the green wire for 15 years.

2. I don't know much about assistance because I don't accept it, but I know you can be "provisionally licensed" while you finish up all the licensing requirements.

3. You may be eligible for a TEACH scholarship from WECA. Here's the eligibility requirements: http://wisconsinearlychildhood.org/p...ation-process/ If you're eligible they'll pay 90% of your tuition, plus a majority of your textbooks (I don't remember how much but it's way more than half) plus you'll get mileage and paid for 15 hours of "release time" AND get a cash bonus when you complete your contract. When all is said and done you'll probably end up ahead financially! I hope you'll qualify - TEACH scholarships are AWESOME!
Hey! That's what I was going to tell her on the phone...
AmyKidsCo 01:36 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Hey! That's what I was going to tell her on the phone...

AuntTami 01:58 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You may not be eligible for student loans but you would still be eligible for federal aide as you would simply be put on academic suspension or academic probation and have to "prove" you can maintain a 2.3 gpa at minimum for one semester. If you do that, then you are released from suspension/probation.

Many times you are also able to write a letter to the school advisor explaining why you defaulted etc and why you are better able to manage school.
Even if I'm currently still in default? How would I go about just getting aid instead of loans? I swear I read somewhere that I wasn't eligible for student loans or any federally funded financial aid because my student loan is a federal loan since it was a subsidized loan? If so, that would be AH-MAHZING. I know once I make 12 consecutive payments on my loan it will be out of default, however, it's not getting paid currently, with the exception of my tax intercepts.

TEACH says I need to be an employee of a child care? I'm not really employed lol? I just glanced over it during nap time, maybe they have owners included?
Blackcat31 03:11 PM 07-15-2015
Even if I'm currently still in default? How would I go about just getting aid instead of loans? I swear I read somewhere that I wasn't eligible for student loans or any federally funded financial aid because my student loan is a federal loan since it was a subsidized loan? If so, that would be AH-MAHZING. I know once I make 12 consecutive payments on my loan it will be out of default, however, it's not getting paid currently, with the exception of my tax intercepts.

TEACH says I need to be an employee of a child care? I'm not really employed lol? I just glanced over it during nap time, maybe they have owners included?
I did T.E.A.C.H. too....You ARE your own employee. LOL!

I am not sure what the rules are and if they are different from state to state but my son was in default with his student loan and he was still eligible for financial aide.

I would call your local community college and ask someone in the financial aide department what your options are.
AmyKidsCo 07:21 PM 07-15-2015
All you can do is ask! TEACH is for FCC and group so there's language to cover both situations.
AuntTami 01:09 PM 07-16-2015
Guess I have some phone calls to make tomorrow at nap time! Including uou Heidi! Nap time was pure chaos today as I had 3 school agers! Lol
WImom 10:11 AM 07-17-2015
I'm in WI with an in-home childcare too and just finished up my Preschool Credential through T.E.A.C.H. and it was a great experience. I did it all online.

I would agree with the others that Licensing is the way to go over certification.

Good Luck!
Tags:courses, wisconsin
Reply Up