Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assistants
WImom 06:15 AM 09-29-2015
I'm a licensed childcare in WI (inhome) and I'm looking for information on hiring an assistant. Pros/Cons? How you go about it? I'm looking for it to be a part time thing...4-5 hours during the morning. Any info you can give me would be wonderful!
NoMoreJuice! 10:53 AM 09-29-2015
I have a full time assistant, and I'm SO HAPPY with her. I interviewed a dozen people, and I'm so very lucky to have found her. I would have to admit the cons are all financial. I stumbled my way into being an employer and paying unemployment insurance, withholding state and federal taxes, paying the other half of her ss/medicare, etc. Oh, look: quarterlies are due next month. It's not difficult keeping up with it all now, but it was a bear to jump into. Our state has a business resource agency that helped me through it; hopefully yours does too.

Unfortunately, you have to jump through those hoops. It wouldn't benefit you to pay them under the table in cash, since you wouldn't be able to deduct it from your taxes. You couldn't give them a 1099 and call them an independent contractor, because they wouldn't be and the DOL would be on your case.

The pros of having another adult there with you to share in this chaotic job are beyond measure!
Play Care 11:01 AM 09-29-2015
Not sure what the refs are in your state regarding assistants (in some states they can be alone with the kids, not in others, some have a cap on the hours they can work, etc)

I my assistant! This is her fourth year with me. I found I need to pay well in order to get good help, otherwise you get SAHM's who think they can hang out and visit while the kids play

If you find the right fit it's amazing. I love that I don't always have to miss my own kids school functions or not get myself to the doctor because of work. I love knowing that my DC is in incredible hands when I not there and I love that when we work together she just "gets" it.
Heidi 11:19 AM 09-29-2015
Aside from all the tax stuff, it depends on rates in your area, to be honest.

Here, rates are about $130 per week, per child, if I average it. Even if I pay someone minimum wage, I'd end up needing two kiddos to pay for a part time helper, when you figure in the insurance and employer taxes.

WI says that once they hit 240 hours (not annually, life time of when they work for you), they need all the required training (40 hour FCC and 10 hour infant toddler, plus the CPR). They need Shaken Baby and SIDS to be left alone with any children under 5. You must do a BID form and run a background check within 60 days of hire, and if you are a Youngstar Provider, they must have a FEDERAL back ground check as of December 31 (I think...you could call the background unit and double check).

In the long run, I really doubt it's worth it. If you count that person in your ratios, and they call in sick, what do you do? Who do you not take that day, or do you risk it (not a good idea!)?

The only way it might pay is if you find someone who wants to provide "sub services" and is willing to do it for multiple providers. That person could name their business, and supply all their forms (BID, training documentation). Then, you could call them an independent contractor, because you're hiring their service, not them, kwim? I would be very leery of counting them in your ratios, though, and enrolling children based on that.

Of course, if you live in an area like Madison or Milwaukee where rates are double that, or more, then it might pay. I guess you have to do the math.
Controlled Chaos 12:02 PM 09-29-2015
I have an assistant who comes once a week during nap. I am able to go grocery shopping, run errands and schedule appointments during that time. Its great! I have an accountant, so he takes care of her payroll stuff. I have used her to sub whole days when I have taken a long weekend.
WImom 12:36 PM 09-29-2015
I'm not looking to add more kids so it would be okay if they were not here due to sickness, etc. I also do not want to leave them here without me. I have a lot of 2y olds and it's so hard to do things with the older preschool kids, make lunch, etc. Because of my age group 2-5 I have a lot of "only" children as well. They seem to be more work for some reason. I'd mainly want someone part time to help out with the younger ones and take the whole group outside or watch them during playtime. I find with my own two kids getting older (12y, 11y old) that with all their evening/weekend activities I would like time during the day to get childcare planning and my household things done so I can relax at night. I'm willing to give up two kids pay to do this. I've been trying to decide if I only have 6 kids and no assistant might help (less 2y olds) or getting the assistant would be better. Either way I'd be down 2 kids pay.

I am near Milwaukee so my full time rate is more. I'm also part of Youngstar, although I don't really need to be or want to be so I could stop that by December if needed.
Heidi 12:38 PM 09-29-2015
Originally Posted by WImom:
I'm not looking to add more kids so it would be okay if they were not here due to sickness, etc. I also do not want to leave them here without me. I have a lot of 2y olds and it's so hard to do things with the older preschool kids, make lunch, etc. Because of my age group 2-5 I have a lot of "only" children as well. They seem to be more work for some reason. I'd mainly want someone part time to help out with the younger ones and take the whole group outside or watch them during playtime. I find with my own two kids getting older (12y, 11y old) that with all their evening/weekend activities I would like time during the day to get childcare planning and my household things done so I can relax at night. I'm willing to give up two kids pay to do this. I've been trying to decide if I only have 6 kids and no assistant might help (less 2y olds) or getting the assistant would be better. Either way I'd be down 2 kids pay.

I am near Milwaukee so my full time rate is more. I'm also part of Youngstar, although I don't really need to be or want to be so I could stop that by December if needed.
In that case, sounds like a valid plan! Now, to find a good assistant! I'd call MATC Milwaukee and find out how to advertise for an ECE student.
WImom 01:54 PM 09-29-2015
Thanks so much Heidi! I didn't think of that!
Heidi 06:10 PM 09-29-2015
Originally Posted by WImom:
Thanks so much Heidi! I didn't think of that!

You're most welcome. I hope you find someone awesome!
daycare 07:10 PM 09-29-2015
I have several employees and I can tell you the pros and cons of it no problem.

i can list a few here

pro

you get a helping hand and when you feel frustrated you get a small break

when I can't deal with a kid, I can send them over to my asst.

extra set of eyes and ears

Help promote learning with every opportunity
someone for me to talk to
another person for the kids to get to know

cons
having them show up on time
cost
how they handle the kids
now showing up
actually working once they are here
having to enforce rules, like NO CELLPHONES EVER
dress code, and etc.
ratios-does their absence affect your ratios?
not performing up to par
taking too many days off
not dealing with kids the right way
having to constantly rely on someone else
having to supervise them when they are new

as for them needing to have any requirements from the state, I make them pay for it and when they have been employed for 6 months I will reimburse them. if they quit or get fired before that time frame, I am not out any money.
Tags:assistants
Reply Up