Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Age Activity Idea Please
Peaches 08:14 AM 03-15-2016
Spring break is next week and i will for sure have 1 school ager here, a 7yr old girl. Im looking for some independent activities for her during quiet time in afternoon. Normally i play card or board games with her, but im a little concerned i wont be able to play with her much during this time since that is also a time i have been cluster feeding my newborn. Any ideas on how to keep her busy are appreciated.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 03-15-2016
Originally Posted by Peaches:
Spring break is next week and i will for sure have 1 school ager here, a 7yr old girl. Im looking for some independent activities for her during quiet time in afternoon. Normally i play card or board games with her, but im a little concerned i wont be able to play with her much during this time since that is also a time i have been cluster feeding my newborn. Any ideas on how to keep her busy are appreciated.
I'd leave it up to the child/family

Let the parents know that you aren't necessarily equipped to occupy older kids so please have the child(ren) bring something that will keep them entertained during rest time. A book to read/look at or a puzzle to do....
Unregistered 08:59 AM 03-15-2016
This would be the only time I'd allow electronics. I'm sure she has an iPad or something. I'd allow her to have it at rest time only.

I take my rest seriously!! I don't like cranky babies that couldn't sleep and I don't like missing out on my relaxation time. If an iPad will fix that then bring it!
Josiegirl 09:49 AM 03-15-2016
What about giving her a pretty notebook and a set of colored pencils so she can draw or write in a journal. Use prompts if she asks for ideas.
Girls this age love drawing, coloring with markers. Have her cut old mags., and use a glue stick to make a collage. You could pick a topic such as what she'd like her bedroom or dream house to look like, her favorite animals, things she'd like to do with her friends and her favorite foods.
Do you have any jewelry/beading sets? Or maybe put together some craft kits just for her? Cut out some different shaped masks or frames(or whatever you can think of) out of cardstock, add feathers, gems, glue sticks and markers and put it all together in a plastic shoebox. You could add in lengths of yarn or the big popsicle sticks to make them into the masks.
Peaches 11:12 AM 03-15-2016
Thanks for the ideas. These were great
Unregistered 11:14 AM 03-15-2016
fuse beads?
Laurel 11:40 AM 03-15-2016
All of the above answers!

If you are okay with letting her use the computer, here is a site my granddaughter and I like. http://www.dressupgames.com/girls
Unregistered 02:17 AM 03-17-2016
My school age kids love to make God's eyes. Don't know if they are called other things. I like to use rainbow colored yarn. It's simple, quiet and fascinating!
Josiegirl 02:26 AM 03-17-2016
Print off some of those coloring pages meant for adults to color. My 3 oldest dcks and I did some of those together during winter break. It was great non-stressful quiet time and we talked a lot together, which was also great.
Tags:school-age activities
Reply Up