Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wonder Why You Can't Keep a Job...
VWMom 04:55 AM 05-04-2016
I am truly amazed by the amount of work some parents miss. I have a mom who started work at a factory the first Monday of the new year. Since that day she has only worked three full weeks! Constantly calling off for one reason or the other. Shows up at my door in tears a little while ago to get the kids because /GASP/. She got fired!!! Imagine?!? Then wants to know if I can still arrange school transport for them even though they won't be here (her car is up for repo!). OMGosh!!
Thriftylady 05:13 AM 05-04-2016
Originally Posted by VWMom:
I am truly amazed by the amount of work some parents miss. I have a mom who started work at a factory the first Monday of the new year. Since that day she has only worked three full weeks! Constantly calling off for one reason or the other. Shows up at my door in tears a little while ago to get the kids because /GASP/. She got fired!!! Imagine?!? Then wants to know if I can still arrange school transport for them even though they won't be here (her car is up for repo!). OMGosh!!
I hope you told her "sure as long as you pay your weekly tuition, and drop the kids off as normal".
Play Care 05:19 AM 05-04-2016
And this is exactly why some providers get so concerned over parents taking time off. Not because we're nosey, but the legitimate concern over OUR livelihoods.

I'm sorry OP and hope you fill their spots ASAP with a client who has some work ethic
Blackcat31 05:21 AM 05-04-2016
Do you normally provide transportation for them?
VWMom 05:36 AM 05-04-2016
i live directly I front of the school, so I can easily send them on their way, but she lives across town, and with budget cuts the bus stop for them is 5 blocks. What she doesn't understand is-it isn't my concern. I can't put more effort into her kids than she is willing to. Her spot will be filled by weeks end.
Laurel 05:37 AM 05-04-2016
I had the first mom I ever had do that. She was sweet, paid on time and had a great child. But she averaged off one day a week! I was absolutely amazed when she got a promotion!!! Where can I sign up?
Blackcat31 05:41 AM 05-04-2016
i live directly I front of the school, so I can easily send them on their way, but she lives across town, and with budget cuts the bus stop for them is 5 blocks. What she doesn't understand is-it isn't my concern. I can't put more effort into her kids than she is willing to. Her spot will be filled by weeks end.
I definitely agree!

I was just curious if it was a normal service for you (if she was perhaps paid up through this week) or if she was simply looking for someone to feel sorry for her and extend a helping hand,
sleepinghart 05:50 AM 05-04-2016
~Was she keeping her children home on the days she missed work or bringing them to you; and if she was keeping them home was she still paying you for the missed days? ~Why was she missing so many work days anyway...I mean, the reason is not really important, I'm just curious, aka being nosey, lol?
Thriftylady 08:33 AM 05-04-2016
And this is one of the biggest issues of being a DCP I think. Parents somehow think that is exactly what we should be doing. I have a Pre K boy that I have taught since Jan. upper and lowercase letters, numbers to 20, counting mostly to 100. Okay that is my job as I see it, but they do nothing at home. Fine and good but now they want me to teach him to tie his shoes. But they are doing nothing with it at home. Guess who has been going home with double knots in his shoes every day?
VWMom 08:56 AM 05-04-2016
I got the feeling early on not to count too much on her because I have been doing this job long enough to spot a train wreck a mile away
She was paid up (I require pay in advance for the week ahead). She would keep her kindergartener home with her but send her third grader for after school care. (Definitely played favorites between the girl and boy). She always paid on time, and I get paid regardless if I have them or not, so it didn't bother my pocketbook, but I knew eventually she would be out of a job. The factory where she works runs 6 days a week but Saturday hours are only mandatory if you miss during the week. Needless to say, she was always complaining about working Saturdays. She was always "sick", but could still manage 3am "selfies" at the local tavern...
Mariahsaint 08:59 AM 05-04-2016
Three weeks out of 5 months? How the heck did she keep her job for as long as you did?

If I were you, I would definitely start looking for new clients. At this point, I can only theorize that she will begin to get more and more unreliable on your end as well.
Hunni Bee 10:27 AM 05-04-2016
Originally Posted by Mariahsaint:
Three weeks out of 5 months? How the heck did she keep her job for as long as you did?

If I were you, I would definitely start looking for new clients. At this point, I can only theorize that she will begin to get more and more unreliable on your end as well.
I think she meant the parent only managed to work three full weeks in the five months she had the job. Like she missed a day(s) out every week except three.

Still that's amazing she had a job for that long. I don't know of any job I've had that would've allowed that.
Mariahsaint 12:24 PM 05-04-2016
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I think she meant the parent only managed to work three full weeks in the five months she had the job. Like she missed a day(s) out every week except three.

Still that's amazing she had a job for that long. I don't know of any job I've had that would've allowed that.
That would make more sense. Thank you for the clarification!
Ariana 06:11 PM 05-04-2016
Oh my!

I provided daycare for my sister who has a cushy government job and I was shocked at how much time she took off "sick". At least every single week there was at least one day off sick. She never got fired however because she is unionized and I guess she just took sick days, personal days and vacation which woukd explain why they never went on vacation ever.
284878 04:35 AM 05-05-2016
I had a coworker like this once, our direct supervisor had been demoted and did not care what she did as long as she made production. Coworker was a temp so sometimes their attendance would fall through the systems and only get noticed when they were brought up for consideration to be hired. She had surpassed allowed time off for a temp, several times. She was off on another sick vacation when she got a call that her spot was filled. She was poor me and did not get why she was let go. I think she even tried to come back as a new temp.
Thriftylady 04:40 AM 05-05-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Oh my!

I provided daycare for my sister who has a cushy government job and I was shocked at how much time she took off "sick". At least every single week there was at least one day off sick. She never got fired however because she is unionized and I guess she just took sick days, personal days and vacation which woukd explain why they never went on vacation ever.
When I did daycare in KS I had this mom! Only she lost her job over it. She was a nurses aide and got hired on at the VA. They paid much better than the nursing homes she had been at, and she had paid sick leave and such. She took off so many days that she got fired, from probably the best job she would ever have.
Tags:lazy, lazy parents, parents - lazy, parents - that don't work
Reply Up