Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Help, Excess of The Number of Children Small to Large License CA
maxfromca 12:01 PM 07-25-2018
Good day. I have specific question and situation please give me some advice. We have Small Family Day Care license in CA LA County since March 13 2017, no any complaints during operation period, children are happy, parents happy as well. We had 5 kids + 1 our 6-month-old baby during last year. We applied for Large Family Care license in March 2018 and for some reasons this process takes now already almost 4 month and it is still in process, somebody from department ether on a vacation, ether some issue with Fire Clearance inspector, or they had wrong our home phone number in file, nobody could reach us, etc. As a result - Crazy delay and we are lousing income and customers. Same time we have few other kids waiting since June to get in to Day Care, also we lost already some customers, and it is so sad. We passed Fire Clearance few days ago and waiting for a Department Inspector to inspect the facility and issue a license for 12 kids + 2, we also hire a woman with experience and she is working already. For some reasons in the begin of June we took 2 more kids in day care, because parents had no choice to put them in other day care and we also tired to deny service to the people. So today we have 7 kids in Small Family Day Care, (and yes I know this is bad and this is violation) we passed fire clearance and waiting for inspection day after day, we know for sure our facility is safe and stuff is great and we not going to have any issues to get a Large Family Care license, but reality is we are violating the rules today and excess quantity of kids normally allowed for our facility. The worth thing is from August 1st we have few more kids waiting to get in to Day Care, we though we will get license for sure before this date, but now i am in doubts. Can you give me some advice, what to do in this situation? Should we remove 2 kids somehow once inspector will arrive and show only 5 kids + 1 our baby to be fine? Can inspector reject a license and close facility if will discover that we exceed quantity of kids? Can we ask some of our friends to be in facility independently and take care about those 2 kids separate like they were invited temporary? Please any information will be helpful because I am very afraid to louse a license and make Inspector mad when they will see I have 7 kids instead of 5.
I do not know what to do.
Thank you.
boy_mom 12:20 PM 07-25-2018
I would get back into ratio ASAP, for a million reasons. Over ratio is over ratio, regardless of how long you licensing inspector is making you wait.
tenderhearts 12:25 PM 07-25-2018
I would get into ratio right away as well. I think covering it up and lying if caught that could make it even worse for you.
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by maxfromca:
Good day. I have specific question and situation please give me some advice. We have Small Family Day Care license in CA LA County since March 13 2017, no any complaints during operation period, children are happy, parents happy as well. We had 5 kids + 1 our 6-month-old baby during last year. We applied for Large Family Care license in March 2018 and for some reasons this process takes now already almost 4 month and it is still in process, somebody from department ether on a vacation, ether some issue with Fire Clearance inspector, or they had wrong our home phone number in file, nobody could reach us, etc. As a result - Crazy delay and we are lousing income and customers. Same time we have few other kids waiting since June to get in to Day Care, also we lost already some customers, and it is so sad. We passed Fire Clearance few days ago and waiting for a Department Inspector to inspect the facility and issue a license for 12 kids + 2, we also hire a woman with experience and she is working already. For some reasons in the begin of June we took 2 more kids in day care, because parents had no choice to put them in other day care and we also tired to deny service to the people. So today we have 7 kids in Small Family Day Care, (and yes I know this is bad and this is violation) we passed fire clearance and waiting for inspection day after day, we know for sure our facility is safe and stuff is great and we not going to have any issues to get a Large Family Care license, but reality is we are violating the rules today and excess quantity of kids normally allowed for our facility. The worth thing is from August 1st we have few more kids waiting to get in to Day Care, we though we will get license for sure before this date, but now i am in doubts. Can you give me some advice, what to do in this situation? Should we remove 2 kids somehow once inspector will arrive and show only 5 kids + 1 our baby to be fine? Can inspector reject a license and close facility if will discover that we exceed quantity of kids? Can we ask some of our friends to be in facility independently and take care about those 2 kids separate like they were invited temporary? Please any information will be helpful because I am very afraid to louse a license and make Inspector mad when they will see I have 7 kids instead of 5.
I do not know what to do.
Thank you.
I believe California charges providers up to $200 PER day for each child they are out of ratio AND will deny your current request for a large family license as well as possibly revoke your current license.

I would get in compliance NOW and not operate out of ratio.

You DO have a choice....parents can't make you provide care or take in additional children when you do not legally have the space.

I am sorry the process takes so long but it appears it is the way things work in your area so you do what you can and stay legal and within ratios or you risk losing everything.
proudmommyofthree 01:23 PM 07-25-2018
I am in California and you are steady within ratios. If I’m reading your post correct. You have 7 kids in care? You are allowed 8 for small daycare. 6 plus two school aged kids. For large you can have 14 kids, 12 plus two school aged kids. You can not have 7 without one of these kids being at least 6 years old or in school. If that is the case, and licensing comes to inspect you, if you are over ratios and they will deny your large license. Being over ratio in California is a big violation. If I were you , I would just let clients know you are in the process of getting a large license and they must wait until you are approved. That is what I did when going from small to large. Don’t risk losing your business.
LysesKids 01:28 PM 07-25-2018
Get into ratio ASAP... you are risking loosing everything, plus getting fined just because it's taking longer than you want. It was your choice to take on too many children, parents didn't force you, but now you have to let them go and explain no extra children can be contracted at this time (yes, even the ones planned for August).
hwichlaz 01:51 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
I am in California and you are steady within ratios. If I’m reading your post correct. You have 7 kids in care? You are allowed 8 for small daycare. 6 plus two school aged kids. For large you can have 14 kids, 12 plus two school aged kids. You can not have 7 without one of these kids being at least 6 years old or in school. If that is the case, and licensing comes to inspect you, if you are over ratios and they will deny your large license. Being over ratio in California is a big violation. If I were you , I would just let clients know you are in the process of getting a large license and they must wait until you are approved. That is what I did when going from small to large. Don’t risk losing your business.
yeah that.

can your assistant watch YOUR child in his/her home until you're licensed? That way you'll be in compliance. This is assuming you don't have at least one school aged kid in attendance.
Tags:california - regulations, ratio - over limit, rationalization
Reply Up