Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rough Week
BumbleBee 08:48 AM 02-02-2019
No school all week due to weather.

My elderly neighbor was basically forgotten about by her kids all week. I know the weather and cold was wicked but still. I usually shovel out her walkway, always have. Someone else, with a plow, takes care of her driveway. But it either wasn't set up this year or they didn't show up. Knowing how her kids are, I'm guessing it's the first one

Tues, Wed, Thurs I shoveled out her driveway in addition to both walkways, multiple times. I didn't do it Monday because I though someone was going to do it.

Despite having pretty good gear, frequent warm ups, switching out gloves/mittens/hats, I got frost nipped on my fingers. They will be fine, they're just stabby and achey.

Multiple phone calls to her kids got me nowhere. Her toilet supply line froze, thankfully it didn't burst, but that took up a good chunk of time thawing it out and checking for leaks.

Thursday my mom came over to use the treadmill in my basement. She missed a step going down the stairs and ended up falling the rest of the way down, landing on the concrete floor below. A mess of logistics and a trip to the ER later, she is ok. Banged up and bruised but nothing broke.

Friday the 23 month old bit the 7 month old out of nowhere. Didn't break the skin but it's a nasty bite. I was helping a 3 year old fix their sock, baby was laying on a blanket with toys, 23 month old was reading a book, all 3 within arms reach. Next thing I know baby is screaming because toddler is biting. I would not be surprised if the 5 month olds family leaves care. I wouldn't blame them if they do. If I were in their shoes, I would be livid.

I am absolutely exhausted. Mentally and emotionally drained.
BumbleBee 08:58 AM 02-02-2019
*I would not be surprised if the 7 month olds family leaves care.
rosieteddy 09:04 AM 02-02-2019
That sounds like a week from hell.I would call neighbors stil family today,let them know the problems.There is not much to do about the biting incident now.We have all been there.I started using a large square play pen.Either the infant or the toddler would be in it if I was doing anything. One thing that works great for bites is an icepack.I always held it over the bite area usually the mark was gone by the end of the day.Lastly do something for yourself this weekend.Winter is hard .You know you did the best you could ,the parents will do what they want.Sorry you had such a tough week.
Josiegirl 02:15 PM 02-02-2019

Here's wishing next week is much better!!
You have a good heart, hope you know that.
e.j. 10:13 AM 02-03-2019
That was a rough week! Hopefully the parents of the 7 month old are understanding and decide not to pull. Next week has got to be better, right?!
Ariana 11:46 AM 02-03-2019
You are such an amazing person to do that for your elderly neighbour
BumbleBee 01:32 PM 02-03-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
You are such an amazing person to do that for your elderly neighbour
Thank you. I can't justify not doing it, and I would feel insanely guilty if she was injured or died trying to do it herself. Knowing her she would. I'm still ticked at her kids though. I don't have the official total for snow fall last week but my very unofficial measurements put it at 30+ inches, not accounting for drifts that built up in certain spots.
BumbleBee 02:02 PM 02-03-2019
And it continues! My assistant just informed me she's vomiting. I'm trying to get ahold of my back up assistant to see if she can cover. If not then I'll be making phone calls this evening to see who can use alternate care. Ugh!!!
springv 02:21 PM 02-03-2019

amberrose3dg 03:37 AM 02-04-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
And it continues! My assistant just informed me she's vomiting. I'm trying to get ahold of my back up assistant to see if she can cover. If not then I'll be making phone calls this evening to see who can use alternate care. Ugh!!!
I am sorry. I used to deal with that all the time and it is what ultimately made me decide to go to only before and after care.
Hope this week is better.
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 02-04-2019
So hoping this is a better week for you!!
Mom2Two 11:35 AM 02-04-2019
Hugs I hope that things get better really fast.

Taking care of your neighbor--such a lot of work! Bless you for doing it!
BumbleBee 07:14 AM 02-05-2019
Ugh. Just ugh. Primary assistant still out. Back up assistant is covering the 3 hours I absolutely need coverage.

I really don't like soloing. It's a primary reason I switched to group care. And honestly if I was still a small daycare w/o an assistant, there's a few kids I would not have enrolled.

So between last week and this week I'm over this whole daycare thing. Especially since all the kids who were home last week, due to weather, are back this week.
Tags:bad weather, bad week, rough week
Reply Up