Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Ever Used These Play Yards?
Little People 09:13 AM 02-02-2011
Super Yard Portable Large Play Pen Gate 10 panels

What are your thoughts and experience with using these?
My Lil' Monkeys 09:21 AM 02-02-2011
I have one and LOVE it!! I used it around my Christmas tree to keep the dcks away from it. I also use it to block off the dcks from my dining/kitchen area so they can crawl down the hallway (doors all closed) and to keep them in the living room. It was awesome when I my own son was learning to crawl and walk.. I could take the gate outside in the backyard and put him in there with toys.
Little People 09:22 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:

Or maybe this one??
boysx5 09:22 AM 02-02-2011
I just bought one last week and love it I just ordered two more extensions and I plan on buy another one for my basement
Little People 09:30 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by boysx5:
I just bought one last week and love it I just ordered two more extensions and I plan on buy another one for my basement
The gray or the playzone?
MamaBear 09:33 AM 02-02-2011
I was thinking about getting a Playzone yard too with the extensions. Target has them on sale right now. But I've also seen some people selling them on Craigslist for 1/2 the price. I have a soon-to-be crawler that I think it would be perfect for. Can it knock over at all with their weight?
SilverSabre25 09:34 AM 02-02-2011
Superyard = awesome. It's how I have my playroom divided in half into the "baby side" and the "big kid side". Sturdy enough to not fall over when littles are hanging on OR when bigs are hanging on it (though I discourage ANYONE from touching the gate except me). They are also useful for placing across the end of the driveway to stop runaway balls, sidewalk chalk, and children on tricycles from going into the street, or for making a safe "baby area" to play outside, or to block off a Christmas tree or....the list is probably endless! I need to get another one, actually. If you have Once Upon a Child in your area, I wouldn't buy one new; I see them all the time at OUAC.
SilverSabre25 09:35 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I was thinking about getting a Playzone yard too with the extensions. Target has them on sale right now. But I've also seen some people selling them on Craigslist for 1/2 the price. I have a soon-to-be crawler that I think it would be perfect for. Can it knock over at all with their weight?
It *can* be knocked over, if someone tried hard enough, but takes an awful lot of force to knock it over, IME.

edit: I answered with regard to the superyard; I just noticed that you asked about the Playzone. Sorry!
nannyde 09:37 AM 02-02-2011
Or maybe this one??
These are very shallow at the lowest point of the top railing.
Little People 09:44 AM 02-02-2011
Ok so the superyards are better? I found one on CL with 10 panels, and I called her and she still had it. But then I ask her to be honest with me...if she had a child or a dog in it and she said a child first and then a puppy. I will just buy one new.
lil angels 09:45 AM 02-02-2011
I have two of the gray type. love them I use them in the summer for outside for my baby's. I use it around the xmas tree. I like them when I have 1 yr olds then get a new baby I will put the swing and bouncy in the gate and then the kids can't get at the baby if I walk away. It folds up pretty flat to. You can connect them together to to make them really big. They are great.
SunflowerMama 10:04 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by katiez01:
I have one and LOVE it!! I used it around my Christmas tree to keep the dcks away from it. I also use it to block off the dcks from my dining/kitchen area so they can crawl down the hallway (doors all closed) and to keep them in the living room. It was awesome when I my own son was learning to crawl and walk.. I could take the gate outside in the backyard and put him in there with toys.
I use (d) it for all the same things and LOVE it!! When my twins were learning to walk we put 2 together and basically made our living room into a huge kid friendly play area and it worked perfectly.
Little People 10:06 AM 02-02-2011
I just noticed I spelled used wrong in my title I don't know how to correct it
DBug 10:17 AM 02-02-2011
I have a Superyard too, and love it! It's perfect for outdoors or when I need to give a toddler some alone time. However, I do have a toddler that can lift it up and crawl under. He has also figured out how to move the entire thing across the floor (non-carpeted) to get closer to the things I was trying to keep him out of . So, if you're using it for one of those get-into-everything-type kids, keep a close eye on them!
nannyde 10:23 AM 02-02-2011
Ok so the superyards are better? I found one on CL with 10 panels, and I called her and she still had it. But then I ask her to be honest with me...if she had a child or a dog in it and she said a child first and then a puppy. I will just buy one new.
I wouldn't use them if they had a dog in them just because the plastic diamond mesh can get fragmented with chewing.

I've bought a few used that have been out in the sun and had to toss them.

The ones I have had that have been used only in the day care look like they looked fifteen years ago. They are perfect and in as new condition.

Superyards are way better because they are about a foot deeper. When looking at the other products you have to measure the depth from the lowest part of the piece to the floor. The kids will gravitate to the lowest possible point. It doesn't matter if the highest point is five feet high and looks like a disney castle... the kids will go directly to the lowest point and hunker over their shoulder to get out of it.

The little ones would be great for kids that can't pull up yet though... I just wouldn't want that kind of expense and real estate in the room for something that can only be used for such a small window of growth.

I have two of these in eighteen square foot rectangle configurations. They are AWESOME. All of my babies get their own play yard with their own toys. I have hundreds of baby toys and just rotate my collection thru their play yards and the bouncy seats. They never get old!!!

You do have to secure the superyards down because they are light weight and on a slick surface can EASILY be moved by any kid that can walk. I have mine anchored down and then a thick cushy quilt under each of them.

I LOVE them. Next to my JMason play pens they are the most valuable piece of equipment I have in my home. All of my babies have their very own area and when we are lower on numbers we can easily expand them even further to 36 square foot areas. 18 square foot is plenty though to give them a good area to play in and put a ton of toys in there. Just don't put any toys in them that they can use as a step.
MommyMuffin 10:25 AM 02-02-2011
I put mine around the christmas tree too Right now I am using it to keep the kids out of the kitchen/dinning room area because that is where I have the little babies. I like it because I know the babies wont get stepped on.

I kind of like it but it high so its hard for me to hop over it. The panels are kind of hard to move...or maybe I am just weak. It is useful and simple and I do like it, just wish I had one with a foot petal to open it or was not so high so I didnt almost fall over ever time.
Little People 10:25 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
I have a Superyard too, and love it! It's perfect for outdoors or when I need to give a toddler some alone time. However, I do have a toddler that can lift it up and crawl under. He has also figured out how to move the entire thing across the floor (non-carpeted) to get closer to the things I was trying to keep him out of . So, if you're using it for one of those get-into-everything-type kids, keep a close eye on them!
Thanks for this info, I could use the tent stakes things or make some hook things and nail it down while we are outside if I have a superman child. But this is really great information. THANKS!!
Little People 10:33 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I wouldn't use them if they had a dog in them just because the plastic diamond mesh can get fragmented with chewing.

I've bought a few used that have been out in the sun and had to toss them.

The ones I have had that have been used only in the day care look like they looked fifteen years ago. They are perfect and in as new condition.

Superyards are way better because they are about a foot deeper. When looking at the other products you have to measure the depth from the lowest part of the piece to the floor. The kids will gravitate to the lowest possible point. It doesn't matter if the highest point is five feet high and looks like a disney castle... the kids will go directly to the lowest point and hunker over their shoulder to get out of it.

The little ones would be great for kids that can't pull up yet though... I just wouldn't want that kind of expense and real estate in the room for something that can only be used for such a small window of growth.

I have two of these in eighteen square foot rectangle configurations. They are AWESOME. All of my babies get their own play yard with their own toys. I have hundreds of baby toys and just rotate my collection thru their play yards and the bouncy seats. They never get old!!!

You do have to secure the superyards down because they are light weight and on a slick surface can EASILY be moved by any kid that can walk. I have mine anchored down and then a thick cushy quilt under each of them.

I LOVE them. Next to my JMason play pens they are the most valuable piece of equipment I have in my home. All of my babies have their very own area and when we are lower on numbers we can easily expand them even further to 36 square foot areas. 18 square foot is plenty though to give them a good area to play in and put a ton of toys in there. Just don't put any toys in them that they can use as a step.
This is all great information. I was pleased that this lady on CL was honest with me that she had used this one for a dog. I would of driven 45 minutes to her home and been upset. I am going to try another infant, I swore I would not do anymore after what that breastfed mom did to me. But I do love babies and I get calls all the time.

nannyde, I always read and get great information from your posts. I have a question for you??? It is easier to take a newborn and start raising them to fit in with us or do you think it is better to take a 3m, 4m or 5/6 m?
misol 10:40 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Superyard = awesome. It's how I have my playroom divided in half into the "baby side" and the "big kid side". Sturdy enough to not fall over when littles are hanging on OR when bigs are hanging on it (though I discourage ANYONE from touching the gate except me). They are also useful for placing across the end of the driveway to stop runaway balls, sidewalk chalk, and children on tricycles from going into the street, or for making a safe "baby area" to play outside, or to block off a Christmas tree or....the list is probably endless! I need to get another one, actually. If you have Once Upon a Child in your area, I wouldn't buy one new; I see them all the time at OUAC.
This is exactly what I use to divide my big and little sides too! And I also don't allow anyone to touch it. If I call their name, they know to take their hands off immediately - even the 17month old.
cillybean83 11:07 AM 02-02-2011
there is one for $45 in bartlet....i may get it for my dogs...and it's an excuse to go to Jimmy's and get a hotdog
Francine 11:10 AM 02-02-2011
At my house it is known at BABY JAIL lol, I love it! I am thinking of getting a second before summer, I want to keep one for inside and one for outside.
nannyde 11:38 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
They are super light weight. You have to anchor them.
nannyde 12:00 PM 02-02-2011
nannyde, I always read and get great information from your posts. I have a question for you??? It is easier to take a newborn and start raising them to fit in with us or do you think it is better to take a 3m, 4m or 5/6 m?
Aww thanks

For me it's easier to take a six week old than a six month old but it just depends on your skill set. The younger the better for me.
Little People 12:02 PM 02-02-2011
Aww thanks

For me it's easier to take a six week old than a six month old but it just depends on your skill set. The younger the better for me.
Thanks, I am really missing a baby and I think I will try again.
melskids 12:15 PM 02-02-2011
i bought 3 and put them all together. i use it outside as a BIG play area for the real little ones. i love them!!! (i did stake it down, every other panel, with the stake on the outside, and attached it with zip ties)
cillybean83 12:26 PM 02-02-2011
i have interviews for 3 tinys (all will be within 3 weeks age, and the oldest will be 9 weeks if/when she starts) I am SOOOO hoping I get them! I love newborns and I was a nanny for quads when I was only 19 so while 3 might seem overwhelming, it's one less than what I had gotten used to! lol
Missani 01:06 PM 02-02-2011
I want to get a Superyard for outside, too. I have a fenced yard and last summer I had a 2 month old so it was fine, but this year I will have a 14 month old, 5 month old and 6 month old in addition to 2 toddlers. I can definitely see the pros of protecting the babies and still letting them play in the grass. I also think I would like to get one for inside, but I was worried about my Super Toddler knocking it over. Great idea to anchor it, but how do you anchor it inside? Outside is easy, just not sure how to do it inside. It will be on carpet if it matters.
Little People 03:08 PM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
i have interviews for 3 tinys (all will be within 3 weeks age, and the oldest will be 9 weeks if/when she starts) I am SOOOO hoping I get them! I love newborns and I was a nanny for quads when I was only 19 so while 3 might seem overwhelming, it's one less than what I had gotten used to! lol
awww, I hope you get them!!
Abigail 03:17 PM 02-02-2011
When you use these big play yards outside, do you put any foam mats or blankets underneath the entire thing so the babies don't sit on the grass and pick at it and try to eat it or is it easier to just bring a PnP outside?
nannyde 03:23 PM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i bought 3 and put them all together. i use it outside as a BIG play area for the real little ones. i love them!!! (i did stake it down, every other panel, with the stake on the outside, and attached it with zip ties)
Just be careful about direct sun making them brittle. There are THOUSANDS of diamonds in each grid so inspecting them visually is nearly impossible. When they start to disentegrate they chip off like glass shards.

To inspect the grids you need to run your fingers thru each grid and every horizontal and verticle nook so you can feel if they are brittle. If they swallow a piece of the shard plastic it could kill them. The plastic on them is very thin especially in the X part of the grids.
mac60 03:44 PM 02-02-2011

I have this one, it works well, but, it is very hard for me to separate and fold up. This is the second one I have purchased, sold the other one, then bought it again for outside. I actually took 1 panel out and made a square to transition from pnk to napmat.
mac60 03:46 PM 02-02-2011
Or maybe this one??
I have this one and love it. Easy to put up, take down, and fold, much easier than the other one posted above.
melskids 02:45 AM 02-03-2011
Just be careful about direct sun making them brittle. There are THOUSANDS of diamonds in each grid so inspecting them visually is nearly impossible. When they start to disentegrate they chip off like glass shards.

To inspect the grids you need to run your fingers thru each grid and every horizontal and verticle nook so you can feel if they are brittle. If they swallow a piece of the shard plastic it could kill them. The plastic on them is very thin especially in the X part of the grids.
wow, thanks! i never thought of that. i do have a 12x12 pop up canopy over it for shade, and we dont get really hot sun here where we are EVER, but still, it does shine on it . its packed away for the loooonnggg winter, but if and when i get to take it out again, i will go over it with a fine tooth comb!!!
boysx5 06:22 AM 02-03-2011
I have the grey one and I must say even my toughest 18 month old who pushes everything over hasn't pushed this over
mickey2 06:58 AM 02-03-2011
Aww thanks

I so agree with you nannyde! I definitely find the younger they are the easier it is as well! I could go on and on about this!
Maybe I will start a whole new thread for this one!
Tags:play yard, playpens
Reply Up