Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Short Paid Again!
melissa ann 09:32 AM 10-23-2009
I'm really annoyed with this family. I was short paid $54 yesterday. Grandpa thought daughter paid for her 2 kids when she dropped them off in the afternoon. She did not. So he paid for his grandson and paid what he had in his wallet. I have not heard from anybody yet. The other week grandpa was $14 short. He forgot Thur was the last day of the week. he said he would drop it off Friday after work. I said fine. Well, he never showed up. When he called that Sun night w/the schedule, he casually mention he "forgot" to drop off the money. He took his parents across the state to look at the leaves. We live in the same town. A very SMALL town. It would take about 15 mins to walk from their house to mine.
Now, next week I was told the schedule would be Tue and Wed. This would be the first time that the 3 day min. rate would come in to play w/o them being here for 3 days. Do I need to remind them of this? The new contract went into effect last month.
Plus, the mom said that in Nov her 2 kids would be out a week. 3 days in 1 week, 2 days the following Her kids already used their "free" vacation week. So I should be paid the 3 day min. rate while they are gone.
They treat me like a casual babysitter as opposed to me running a childcare business. I know, I need to stand up to them but it's easier said then done.
mac60 09:36 AM 10-23-2009
Yes, you need to let them know they owe you. I hate this part of our job. Why do we have to beg for the money we worked for. Just isn't right. I would maybe write something up and give it to them, with everything explained out.
Sorry.
cuddlebuggz 09:58 AM 10-23-2009
Pre-Payment is a MUST! IF you have part timers I would make them keep an amount in their "account" that is close to the average they use each week. If there are no funds in the account..NO CARE!!

I had to get tough on this in my daycare too, you pre-pay or your kiddo dont stay!!
sarahtheresa02 10:18 AM 10-23-2009
I agree with pre-payment. Payment for the following week is due by pick up on Friday. NO EXCEPTIONS. I only have one afterschooler whose mom pays without fail at the end of the week. I was watching her son before I 'officially' started my daycare so I let her keep the arrangement we had.

Other than that each family pays ahead of time. I charge a $5 a day late fee and if I do not have payment on Friday then I give them a verbal and written reminder on Monday. If there is still no payment on Tuesday I then let parents know that until I receive payment they are going to need to find an alternative form of care for their child.

I was asked by a parent once if I would remind her every Thursday to bring a check because she was forgetful. Are you kidding me? Do you think her utilities or her mortgage company call her the day before her payment is due to "remind" her. Sheesh... I simply gave her a copy of my payment policy and showed her where the drop box was. She has never forgotten a payment.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:23 AM 10-23-2009
I agree that this family is just belittling what you do,..... They dont take you as a serious businesswoman. I know you need the income but dont you just wish once we could just post a note on the door,.. Dear *** family, when you bring in the fees owed, you can bring in the children. I actually have said to a mom before,.. wow, you better hurry and go to the bank machine so youll make it to work on time today,.... and I ushered the kid back out the door.
tinytotzdaycare 11:15 AM 10-23-2009
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I agree that this family is just belittling what you do,..... They dont take you as a serious businesswoman. I know you need the income but dont you just wish once we could just post a note on the door,.. Dear *** family, when you bring in the fees owed, you can bring in the children. I actually have said to a mom before,.. wow, you better hurry and go to the bank machine so youll make it to work on time today,.... and I ushered the kid back out the door.

HA HA! That's funny! It takes a lot to stand up to parents sometimes!
kitkat 11:25 AM 10-23-2009
Seriously, there is NOTHING wrong with telling that family that until they pay you in full that you won't be able to provide care for them. Write out for them how much they were suppose to pay for each week, how much they actually paid, how much they owe because of the short payment, and the date they need to pay by. If payment isn't received by that date, then you can't take the kids til payment is received. I know you said a new contract went into effect a month ago, but I would change their contract again and make it a prepay one. I had to change from hourly to flat fee for one family, but not prepayment...they were going through a divorce and I had a feeling I was going to get short paid because they didn't have good communication. I put in very strict rules about the X hours of care for $X. If over the hours, $X/hr. Dad forgot once at the end of the week. As soon as I asked for the check he asked where the nearest ATM was

I know it's uncomfortable and hard to do, but you really have to put your foot down with that family. You will feel better after you do.
tymaboy 12:00 PM 10-23-2009
Yes, remind them what they owe you & let them know if it is not paid in full come Monday (or whatever day they need care) you will not be able to watch the kids. Also point out that you have a late fee (hopefully you do if not you need to get one) & since they are X amount of days late they need to pay an additional X amount. I think I would either give them the option of keeping the pay the way it is (after services) or changing it to paying befre hand but let them know that if you get shorted again not only will xtra fees apply they will be terminated.
Unregistered 12:24 PM 10-23-2009
I would hand them a bill that states the balance owed and remind them of your policy in writting. I would also start looking for new kids to replace them with.
Unregistered 01:36 PM 10-23-2009
I agree MelissaAnn, it's time to give this family the good ol' boot. Trust me you will feel so much better when it's over!
And tell them it's prepayment on Monday a.m. when they drop off the kids for the coming week or they can get themselves right back in the car.
Unregistered 02:00 PM 10-23-2009
I'd give them a written notice that states the late fees they already owe and that childcare will not be provided till it is paid in full, in the letter id also point out about the 3 day min,(to grandpa) and in the letter to mom I'd remind her that she has already used up her vacation days and that she will need to pay for the days they will be gone BEFORE she leaves for vacation, I'd also state that for business reasons any payments not paid in full including late fees after 5 business days will result in termination of the childcare contract with the two week termination fee to be paid (I do this so that parents cant try to terminate without paying by causing me to terminate them), I'd also let them know that the daily late fee would be added untill you turned them into collections or filed a small claims case against them, let them know you mean business by presenting your daycare as one, my late fee is $20 a day, i also have pre-pay, payments are due at DROP OFF every friday a week in advance, this has worked amazingly, less stress for me wondering if i would get paid for the care already given and with my contract they would owe me regardless of wether their child came or not..I'd make the letter proffessional looking and let them know you are putting a copy in their file..Parents will only get away with what you allow.. I agree if they dont have the money when its due regardless of what their excuse is just usher the kids back out the door and tell them that they can return with full payment.. good luck..
Unregistered 02:09 PM 10-23-2009
I have had to change my contract numerous times over the past 10 yrs. It sucks!! I had a $5.00 a day late fee that I was implementing, and a family would continue to be late, and they paid the $5.00 a day. Needless to say they bounced 2 checks etc.... so now I have increased it to $10.00 a day. Good luck!!
melissa ann 03:04 PM 10-23-2009
I called them this afternoon and left messages on their cells. About 3 hours later, mom called and said she would be here in about 15 mins w/a check. She seemed annoyed. Whatever. She did show up though.
I do have a $5/day late fee. They haven't paid it yet. I'm working on the Nov newsletter and will put it that the late fee will be enforced immediately.
It states that the late fee will be $5/day starting w/day $was due up to and including day of payment. It also includes partial payments. I have an example in the handbook that says if $ was not paid or was short, say $30, and was due Friday but not paid until Monday, that would be $20 in fees.

I am considering placing ads and I already changed the handbook stating that money is due Fridays in advance for the following week of care.

Thanks everyone. I wasn't expecting so many responses so fast.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:30 PM 10-23-2009
I know how hard it is to stand up to the parents but yet when you think about, it's quite disrespectful on the parents' part to NOT pay. I have had a couple of my girls in daycare when I was working and I could not imagine not paying the complete fee for that week. It's just rude not to.

Parents are hiring you to do a job...a service...and should appreciate your availability, your time, caring for the kids' needs...while they are away.

It's like going into Walmart and picking out a TV and handing over much less than the TV is worth and saying "here this is all I have"...you just DON'T do it.

Parents like that, that don't want to pay are better off somewhere else. I would advertise and replace with a family that will pay. I know it is so much easier said than done, been in those shoes..I had one young mom I had to come up with weekly invoices because she kept shorting me even knowing my rates. So I would hand her the invoice at the end of the week so there was no discrepancy and I didn't have to verbally sound pushy.
Chickenhauler 12:30 PM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I called them this afternoon and left messages on their cells. About 3 hours later, mom called and said she would be here in about 15 mins w/a check. She seemed annoyed. Whatever. She did show up though.
I do have a $5/day late fee. They haven't paid it yet. I'm working on the Nov newsletter and will put it that the late fee will be enforced immediately.
It states that the late fee will be $5/day starting w/day $was due up to and including day of payment. It also includes partial payments. I have an example in the handbook that says if $ was not paid or was short, say $30, and was due Friday but not paid until Monday, that would be $20 in fees.

I am considering placing ads and I already changed the handbook stating that money is due Fridays in advance for the following week of care.

Thanks everyone. I wasn't expecting so many responses so fast.
Don't be scared to stand up for what's right.

If you bounced a check at the bank, would they be all meek and worried about charging you the fee?

If you didn't pay your electric, gas, water, sewer or garbage bill on time, would they assess you a penalty?

If you didn't pay your taxes, would you get penalties and interest?

What I'm getting at, is you're borrowing them money at no interest, essentially. They're using your money (or money that should be yours) while you sit there holding the short end of the stick. Time to teach them a lesson the hard way-stick it to them.

Don't feel bad about insisting that payment for services rendered be paid when the agreed time comes-it's part of doing business. They know full well what day is "pay daycare" day, and don't let them hem-haw around.

PS-From what you have described about this bunch in the past, they're a major PITA. I'd continue to advertise for openings.....never know, you might get someone to fill these slots that pays their bills on time.
Former Teacher 06:10 PM 10-25-2009
Oh I can't begin to tell you how many parents I have stopped at the door for nonpayment. Being Assistant Director, the director/owner always came in late and left early, I had to be the one who did the dirty work.

I just firmly told them that they had to pay before I could admit them. There were several parents who would tell me things like "oh ok let me just leave so and so here and I will go home and get my checkbook" etc. Well, I wasn't born yesterday haha. I would tell them again firmly, NO CHILDCARE until payment is paid. Which means you take the kid back with you until you can pay (in nicer words of course )

You just have to be firm. You are running a business. If you let one walk all over you, they all will.

Good luck!
judytrickett 05:06 AM 10-26-2009
NO PAY- NO STAY! It's that simple. They pay for their arrears and that week in advance or you turn them away at the door. And yes, I'm serious. Turn them away and tell them they can come back WHEN they have FULL payment.
Unregistered 06:48 AM 10-26-2009
You said that mom came and paid you but that they havent paid their late fees so no mom didnt pay you, she is being disrespectfull by not adding the late fees and most likely will not pay them if you dont inforce it, you need to have an invoice ready thanking her for her partial payment she made on such and such day with a reminder that the late fees now equal $x amount and that the daily late fee will be added untill payment is made in full. State very clearly that if payment isnt made in CASH by pickup time that day(insert date) that child/ren will not be allowed into care the next day or whenever they are scheduled again, also state that if payment isnt recieved in full within 3 business days after this notice that childcare will be terminated for lack of co-operation on the parents part and non payment and if payment including all late fees havent been paid within 14 days of invoice that you will start the collection process and any fees you pay in your attempt to collect this debt from them will be added onto their bill.
Stand firm and dont do childcare for them untill ALL FEES INCLUDING the late fee is paid or they will never take you seriously..Good luck
melissa ann 03:23 PM 10-27-2009
Well, this week they need childcare for 2 days. I do have a 3 day min. rate. I gave them their bill slip today. I"m scheduled to have the kids today and tomorrow. I also gave them the Nov newsletter. In it, I reminded them of the 3day min rate, and that that rate is required when 2 of the kids will not be here for a week in Nov. since they already used their vacation week. Also, they owe me $5 for a pair of pants one of the dcb wore home 2 weeks ago. I remind them when they need to replace supplies, but they never have any clothes here. I put in my handbook that if they return the clothes within 1 week, no fee will be charged. If not, I will charge $5. I am closed for Thanksgiving and day after, which I do not charge for. IF I'm closed there are no childcare fees.

My daughter goes to preschool. I enrolled her because she's always been with me and I thought this would be a good transition before she goes to school next year. Right now she goes 3 days/week 2 hours/day. Now, I pay a monthly rate. This does not changed when she is sick and doesn't attend or for closings because of holidays/weather. I understand that. If my dcp complain about paying for 3 days and only attending 2, I will tell them I don't get a discount when my daughter doesn'g go preschool. I am paying for her spot. Maybe I get it because I do childcare. Parents need to wake up and smell the coffee.
melissa ann 03:01 PM 10-28-2009
Well, this morning the kids came and the first the grandpa said was if I could watch the kids tomorrow since they have to pay for 3 days anyway. I said yes. I planned on that anyway. Friday I wouldn't, though. I also received the pants back plus outfits for everyone. At pick-up time, he asked about the day after Thanksgiving. He knows I'm closed. He said that he works at Walmart and his daughter works at a restaurant and have to work. Well, I already knew that. He said if I was opened last year. I said no. Ihad relatives come in from another state. It's not my fault they are in the retail/restuarant business and have to work holidays. I always cook Thanksgiving dinner and on black friday, we decorate for Christmas. Plus, this year I do have a doctor apt on Black Friday. They always try to make me feel guilty for being closed for holidays.
kitkat 08:46 PM 10-28-2009
Way to go for standing firm with this family! I know it can be hard, but you did it
KiddieCare 06:39 AM 10-29-2009
Good job! It felt good huh? When i have a family tell me that they will only be here X amount of days in a week i ask for it in writing by them, then put it in their file,and tell them that if they change their mind and want the children to attend the other days (just cuz the are paid for) they are not garunteed those spots, the way i see it is if a parent says they'll only be here 2 days in a certain week then i can accept a drop in client or if i have no other kids close for the day, so pretty much if they tell me they aint coming i will make plans for that and usually wont let them change their mind..I'd make sure to have this family put everything in writing, their schedules any vacations ect..I also make copies of any notices i give to parents and file it so i can keep track of whats going on with who..
melissa ann 04:51 AM 10-30-2009
Yesterday morning, grandpa paid me his share and when his daughter picked them up, she paid the rest, in full. She didn't remember her complete schedule for the week so while she was here, she called her place of work to find out.
I'm still on the lookout for new prospects. The family I have now just dropped their previous daycare provder because of issues they were having. Should have seen the warning signs from the start w/them but I was working hard trying to get families for like 6 months and I was just too anxious to get started.
I know I wil have issues too w/Christmas and New Year's. I'm closed Christmas Eve(we have Church service at 4 and even if I close early, they won't be here in time) and New Year's Eve. It's all in the handbook though. Last year I was closed for Christmas Eve but not New year's eve. If I could count on them to pick them up early, I would be open. But I can't. Grandpa likes to get almost the full 11 hours that I'm open/day. Anything less, he feels he's getting ripped off. At $18/day I'm getting ripped off.
Thanks everyone for your support.
Tags:money, owed, paid, payment, shorted
Reply Up