Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
JeepGirl6's Avatar
JeepGirl6 JeepGirl6 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 327
Default Preschool vs. In Home Child Care

I have been doing my In-Home Child Care for a little over 2 years now. I have my Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education. I teach the children new things every day.

One thing I don't get is why are parents paying for preschool when they bring their children to my home? During interviews I make sure to inform them that I am like a preschool and teach the children everything they need to know before Kindergarten. They are doubling their amount for child care...

I have two parents that send their children to preschool and bring them here the opposite days. I worked in day care centers for three years, I know what to teach the children, I basically do what preschool child care centers do. I just don't understand why the parents just don't bring their child here full time instead of splitting up the children learning methods...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Are you getting full time pay for their slots?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
JeepGirl6's Avatar
JeepGirl6 JeepGirl6 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 327
Default

No, they pay by the day. Some days they are here between 1-3 days, they only pay for the days they are here.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6 View Post
During interviews I make sure to inform them that I am like a preschool
Someone else convinced them THEY were the best Sneetches on the beaches....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Someone else convinced them THEY were the best Sneetches on the beaches....
Do they have stars upon thars?

I LOVE that book!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6 View Post
No, they pay by the day. Some days they are here between 1-3 days, they only pay for the days they are here.
Okay that's the problem.

I wouldn't offer care to someone 1-3 days a week. 3 days would be my minimum and the daily rate would be 25 percent higher than the daily rate a full time kid would pay.

CHARGE for it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I also teach at my house.. my ages are from 2-5 years old only.
here everyone pays the same... its 225 a week.... if you come one day, still the same price...use it one or 5 your choice.

however, the clients times are contracted to the hours that they use.. ex can only use 9 hrs a day and must commit to a time frame that will be the same each day you use it...

ex: if you come monday 8:30-5:00, then its this way always for the rest of the week and it becomes your set time in your contract...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
countrymom's Avatar
countrymom countrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 4,756
Default

In ontario we call preschool----junior kindergarten. In lamens terms---free daycare.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Okay holy crap 225 a week, that is more than double what I charge. Oh I how I wish I didnt live in the middle of a corn field and could charge more
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikia View Post
Okay holy crap 225 a week, that is more than double what I charge. Oh I how I wish I didnt live in the middle of a corn field and could charge more
be happy you live in a corn field.... I live in a smog infested city wishing I had corn around me...lol instead live in the mushroom capital and it smells like dog poo here....lmao not always, but when the wind blows...

225 is actually not that bad either.... I live near SF, once you get into the SF zip code the price goes up even more...

In the end it all weighs out to be the same..
groceries here are high gas is almost $4.00 a gallon....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikia View Post
Okay holy crap 225 a week, that is more than double what I charge. Oh I how I wish I didnt live in the middle of a corn field and could charge more
You know you love yourself some Iowa
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 PM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
be happy you live in a corn field.... I live in a smog infested city wishing I had corn around me...lol instead live in the mushroom capital and it smells like dog poo here....lmao not always, but when the wind blows...

225 is actually not that bad either.... I live near SF, once you get into the SF zip code the price goes up even more...

In the end it all weighs out to be the same..
groceries here are high gas is almost $4.00 a gallon....
Dog Poo, I have piggy poo here

Yeah I didnt think about that price of living increase. Just saw 225 and was WHOA I Wish
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:36 PM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
You know you love yourself some Iowa
you gotta
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
You know you love yourself some Iowa
Someone recently told me that Iowa stands for Idiots Out Walking Around!

I'm kidding Nan! You know I love you!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Someone recently told me that Iowa stands for Idiots Out Walking Around!

I'm kidding Nan! You know I love you!!
lamo so mean............ i need some iowa in my life....lol
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 PM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Someone recently told me that Iowa stands for Idiots Out Walking Around!

I'm kidding Nan! You know I love you!!
LMAO before I moved to Iowa I said the same thing Now im one of the idiots
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikia View Post
LMAO before I moved to Iowa I said the same thing Now im one of the idiots
you guys crack me up!! good to have some laughs before Friday..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
lamo so mean............ i need some iowa in my life....lol
Daycare Forum meeting in Iowa, Field of Dreams
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,689
Default

Can you hear the banjos???..... I swear I hear them all the time...

"You gotta purdy mouth"..... sums up my region.....

I do have to say our gas hit $3.15 gal yesterday and I am still a bit too sore to sit down after flling up my F-150....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikia View Post
Daycare Forum meeting in Iowa, Field of Dreams
If you build it they will come.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Sorry Jeepgirl, hijacked the thread. I dont know why parents do that, perhaps they want them to be around new kids and get the feel of how school is different than being in a daycare home? KWIM? Not that its right or not that you are not doing just as good if not better than the preschool, just a thought on why maybe they choose to take them to a preschool. I dont know how your preschools are there, but here they can go to the public school and get it for free half day, everyday.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
JeepGirl6's Avatar
JeepGirl6 JeepGirl6 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 327
Default

It's okay, you all made me laugh!!! Thats the thing, both parents are sending their children to a "daycare center" in my area...so it is no different from what I teach...But maybe thats it, they just want their children to meet other children...I do my best and it makes me feel unappreciated of what I went to school for and what I teach their children...

IMO...I worked in daycare centers for 3 years and the things that I have seen drove me absolutely crazy..When I do decide to have children I honestly don't think I want my child in a daycare center...If I am still doing my In Home Child Care I will care for them and teach them. If I have changed career paths by then I would prefer them be in a home setting...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Can you hear the banjos???..... I swear I hear them all the time...

"You gotta purdy mouth"..... sums up my region.....

I do have to say our gas hit $3.15 gal yesterday and I am still a bit too sore to sit down after flling up my F-150....
OMG!! that is too funny!!!.....one summer my DH and our 2 kids took a little trip down south. I had never been there before and my DH had started telling me all about that movie (which I had never seen before) and he had me really freaked out...you know being a yankee and all, plus we had small kids with us and he made it all sound so scary...so anyways we started heading up to Chimney Rock so we can take a look and I realize I have no film in my camera so we stop at this little mom N pop store.
I head in and I see this guy standing by the clerk and he is wearing overalls and no shirt and has no shoes on either. I get my film and start to pay when I hear this guy go "Why that's a mighty purdy....." and that is all I heard! I left that store so fast!! I didn't get film and I have NO idea what he was saying but that was enough for me......
so I saw Chimney Rock but I can't prove it b/c I didn't have any film.


Sorry Jeepgirl...this is waaaay off the thread topic. I am sorry, but Catherder just started me remembering a family trip.....sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Can you hear the banjos???..... I swear I hear them all the time...

"You gotta purdy mouth"..... sums up my region.....

I do have to say our gas hit $3.15 gal yesterday and I am still a bit too sore to sit down after flling up my F-150....


no banjos but I do tend to think of Children of the Corn movie when driving to other towns before harvest
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6 View Post
It's okay, you all made me laugh!!! Thats the thing, both parents are sending their children to a "daycare center" in my area...so it is no different from what I teach...But maybe thats it, they just want their children to meet other children...I do my best and it makes me feel unappreciated of what I went to school for and what I teach their children...

IMO...I worked in daycare centers for 3 years and the things that I have seen drove me absolutely crazy..When I do decide to have children I honestly don't think I want my child in a daycare center...If I am still doing my In Home Child Care I will care for them and teach them. If I have changed career paths by then I would prefer them be in a home setting...
Are you licensed as a family child careor as a pre-school? Where I live that explains the difference. People sem to be willing to pay for the correct label but not the actual service provided.

I have kids that come and go throughout the day for different recreational activities such as swimming lessons and dance lessons and such and they still pay for their space, even if they aren't in it...kwim?
You also have the advantage because you have seen both sides...home and center and the parents haven't so they may not be aware of all the things going on in the centers you are referring to. I would personally just do what you do, explain what you do during the interview and expect to be paid accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
OMG!! that is too funny!!!.....one summer my DH and our 2 kids took a little trip down south. I had never been there before and my DH had started telling me all about that movie (which I had never seen before) and he had me really freaked out...you know being a yankee and all, plus we had small kids with us and he made it all sound so scary...so anyways we started heading up to Chimney Rock so we can take a look and I realize I have no film in my camera so we stop at this little mom N pop store.
I head in and I see this guy standing by the clerk and he is wearing overalls and no shirt and has no shoes on either. I get my film and start to pay when I hear this guy go "Why that's a mighty purdy....." and that is all I heard! I left that store so fast!! I didn't get film and I have NO idea what he was saying but that was enough for me......
so I saw Chimney Rock but I can't prove it b/c I didn't have any film.


Sorry Jeepgirl...this is waaaay off the thread topic. I am sorry, but Catherder just started me remembering a family trip.....sorry.
I will gladly take the blame!!! That story is too funny!!!

I was born in the "Deep South" but I grew up close to Miami, so I get to enjoy BOTH sides of these stories...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
I will gladly take the blame!!! That story is too funny!!!

I was born in the "Deep South" but I grew up close to Miami, so I get to enjoy BOTH sides of these stories...
lol love it...
I had a southern experience as well... when I graduated HS I decided to drive from CA to Miami still not sure why, but I can say it was an adventure of a life time...

I went to a liquor store in lousiana I asked where I could get a cup for the soda fountain.(coke) The lady said we dont sell soda here... I said yes you do I see it right there... she said mam we dont sell soda here, try the grocery store..... so I was getting really frustrated and I said well then what is this, as I pointed to the soad machine. She said thats pop do you want some. UUUMMM yes thats what i have been asking from this whole time.... lol so after that I asked her how to get back on the freeway, she says we aint got one...........WTH.... finally after a bit of conversing she says oh you mean the highway 10................YES lady the freeway.........lol she ended up getting really mad at me becuase I kept finishing her sentences... i was young and impatient, but she ended up kicking me out of the store....lmao

love the difference from coast to coast and everything in between
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
lol love it...
I had a southern experience as well... when I graduated HS I decided to drive from CA to Miami still not sure why, but I can say it was an adventure of a life time...

I went to a liquor store in lousiana I asked where I could get a cup for the soda fountain.(coke) The lady said we dont sell soda here... I said yes you do I see it right there... she said mam we dont sell soda here, try the grocery store..... so I was getting really frustrated and I said well then what is this, as I pointed to the soad machine. She said thats pop do you want some. UUUMMM yes thats what i have been asking from this whole time.... lol so after that I asked her how to get back on the freeway, she says we aint got one...........WTH.... finally after a bit of conversing she says oh you mean the highway 10................YES lady the freeway.........lol she ended up getting really mad at me becuase I kept finishing her sentences... i was young and impatient, but she ended up kicking me out of the store....lmao

love the difference from coast to coast and everything in between
Yep.... if you ever come back just ask for a Coke. They will ask you what flavor and THEN you say what brand of soda you want...

Sorry Jeepgirl.... blowing off political "pre-school" steam, I guess...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
happykidschildcare's Avatar
happykidschildcare happykidschildcare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 149
Default Preschool in daycare

I teach preschool to my age 2 and ups and i also have parents that talk about putting there kids in preschool. I charge $150 wk fulltime and preschool's no extra charge. I find myself dumbfounded when a mom talks about putting lil ____ in preschool at age 4 and paying lots more then what they are paying here and I do just as much with the kids here then they will get at a bigger center and my ratio adult to child is way better too. IDK I guess it kinda insults me, like Im not doing a good enough job.....

I'm a firm believer in allowing kids to be kids and not pushing them, kids all learn at thier own paces no matter the resources or money paid for fancy schools. I have taught plenty of kids up until kinder registration and they have all done well.

Like Nanny I have a min requirment of 3 days a week whether parents use the 3 days they still pay and the pt rate is more then the ft daily rate. I have to make up for the 2 days I lose for that space. I currently dont take anymore pt kids I have 2 right now and lose out $ with those empty days. And filling a 2 day a week slot is impossible, at least here.

Last edited by happykidschildcare; 02-24-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: adding some views
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare View Post
I teach preschool also to my age 2 and ups and i also have parents that talk about putting there kids in preschool. I charge $150 wk fulltime and preschool's no extra charge. I find myself dumbfounded when a mom talks about putting lil ____ in preschool at age 4 and paying lots more then what they are paying here and I do just as much with the kids here then they will get at a bigger center and my ratio adult to child is way better too.

I'm a firm believer in allowing kids to be kids and not pushing them, kids all learn at thier own paces no matter the resources or money paid for fancy schools. I have taught plenty of kids up until kinder registration and they are all done well.
I think some parents just enjoy the status of saying such in such goes to _____ school. It doesnt mean they are learning anymore. Just means their parents are PAYING more.....

Like Nanny I have a min requirment of 3 days a week whether parents use the 3 days they still pay and the pt rate is more then the ft daily rate. We have to make up for the 2 days we are losing for that space. I currently dont take anymore pt kids I have 2right now and lose out $ with those empty slots. And filling a 2 day a week slot is immpossible, at least here.
I have sold the one on one vs preschool for my preschool program.. I save work and videos to show the parents that their 3yr old can write their name and so on and so on. Children will NOT have one on one lessons in a preschool and will not have this advantage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
inhome daycare, preschool, preschool vs home care

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Am Sick Of Sick Kids Coming In mickey2 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 26 02-01-2018 12:28 PM
Child Care Facts Blackcat31 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 08-24-2012 09:29 AM
Family Childcare Training Crystal Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 10-22-2010 01:48 PM
Child Abuse Laws Preschool/daycare teacher Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 09-21-2010 02:49 PM
When Applying For Licensing, Who Determines If It Is A "Facility" Or Home Child Care? rjc9558 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 02-13-2008 06:03 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming