Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paid Vacation
DaisyMamma 06:21 AM 04-20-2012
I mentioned to DH that I would be closing for the week of July 4th starting next year with pay. He was shocked and said it won't work, you can't just close AND get paid. I said call 10 home daycares around here and ask how many weeks paid vaca they get and they will say TWO!
I just wanted to see if anyone else does this. I was originally offering a sub when I go on vacation, but I would like a week off to stay in my own home! I live on a lake, so a stay-cation would be great!
Zoe 06:23 AM 04-20-2012
My first year, I did one week paid vacation. Then after a couple of years and figuring out how my year goes, I changed it to two weeks at half rate (I figured that sounded fair without screwing myself over.) It's not outrageous to have a paid vacation. Not everyone does it, but I know of several providers who do.
littlemissmuffet 06:28 AM 04-20-2012
I get 2 weeks paid vacation (plus 1 additional week unpaid if needed for emergencies); 5 paid sick/personal days and all stats (11 where I live) paid. I am also paid when children are absent due to illness or holidays. I have never had a parent complain, nor have I ever had a parent not sign up with us after an interview.

You can do it
DaisyMamma 07:27 AM 04-20-2012
My previous policies also indicated that parents can take a vacation without having to pay. I would like to remove that as well, but I don't see that going well with families who know it is there. I think I need to let them keep that, but change it for new families.
momma2girls 09:40 AM 04-20-2012
When I first started, I placed in one week paid vacation for myself. Then after 5 yrs. I added another one. Then next yr. I am adding 3 personal/sick days, just in case I need them.
Texasjeepgirl 11:34 AM 04-20-2012
This is my 20th year in business....

In October of 2009.... after years of wishing I 'got' even 1 week of paid vacation......and after YEARS AND YEARS of soul searching... checking with other local home providers... reading many many handbooks online...
I finally made the firm decision that I would revise my PARENT HANDBOOK... and take not 1...but 2 weeks of PAID vacation per year...

I sent a letter to each of the clients I had enrolled at the time.. basically 'forewarning them' so to speak...that I was revising my PARENT HANDBOOK for the upcoming year...and that there WOULD BE CHANGES...

Once I got the handbook revised.. I provided each of my clients with a copy... and a letter letting them know that I needed them to read it IN FULL...and they would obviously have the choice of either signing the Parent Agreement.. OR... if they preferred to move their child to another caregiver.. they could give 2 week written notice...
I explained that the new policy would take effect beginning Jan. 1 .. 2010..
All of my clients signed the agreement.. no one acted like it was a very huge issue...
I had one on one conversations with most of them...and they were all very supportive..
In late December ... a few weeks before the first of the year.. I gave all of my clients WRITTEN notice of my first paid week of vacation...
Mid April of the following year...
so they had 5 full months advance notice...
My husband and I went on a 7 day cruise to celebrate his 50th birthday...
Unfortunately...right at the last minute I lost not one...but 2 clients... which involved 4 children..
Two sisters... both on child care assistance programs...
I had discussed with each of them the fact that the assistance program would not pay my personal vacation dates...and that they would be financially responsible... they understood... I offered each of them the option of paying it out.... they had over 5 months advance notice...they could have paid it out over that time period...both put it off...and put it off...to the point that when my vacation time arrived...they both left.. the first was before my vacation...gave no notice... walked off owing an outstanding balance... the other sister assured me she would not do this...but.. she never returned when I got home from my vacation... it was a mess...but...
thank goodness...it is over...and in the past!!!

That ended up being the only 1 week vacation I took that year... even though I had it in my handbook that I would take 2...
I just am not one of those people that will close down my daycare to sit home ... I only close if I am going on an actual trip...
The following year... (last year).. I closed down for 2 days... a Thursday and Friday.... my clients had 4-5 months advance written notice...... those were my only vacation days for the entire year also...

This year...we are taking 2 trips... only 3 weeks apart...
The first trip I will close Thursday and Friday...
The second trip I am closed Wed, Thurs, and Friday...
So all total... 5 days...but... seperate...

I do believe that this will be the year that I take that second week of vacation.. in December... because of how the Christmas dates fall on the work week... but... I honestly have not made that final decision yet...

Crazy8 11:44 AM 04-20-2012
I think if its the norm for your area you should be fine and you definitely deserve it!! And I think knowing its a set week is even better - makes things easier for families. I am contracted to give them 30 days notice but always try to give more when I can!!

Now, I do say if its the norm for your area because sometimes I notice people getting caught up in reading things here and "developing that backbone" and all that stuff and then it backfires on them. But since you told your DH to call 10 daycares near you I assume you know that it is common for providers in your area too! For some issues you just have to know what would/wouldn't work near you!
small_steps 03:54 PM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I think if its the norm for your area you should be fine and you definitely deserve it!! And I think knowing its a set week is even better - makes things easier for families. I am contracted to give them 30 days notice but always try to give more when I can!!

Now, I do say if its the norm for your area because sometimes I notice people getting caught up in reading things here and "developing that backbone" and all that stuff and then it backfires on them. But since you told your DH to call 10 daycares near you I assume you know that it is common for providers in your area too! For some issues you just have to know what would/wouldn't work near you!
I agree with this. In my area I don't see it working at this time. Of several home daycares in my area I only know of one who takes a 2 week paid vacation each year. She hasn't had a parent leave but she only has six children. She has only been in our area a couple of years. I'm not brave enough to try it at this time because there's just too much competition and people who don't take the paid vacation time. However I will be taking 2 weeks unpaid vacation time this year and maybe one day that will turn into paid time. Maybe our area will catch up with some of the other areas where this is the norm..
momma2girls 04:12 PM 04-20-2012
About 5 yrs. ago, I had the same thing happen. I had a 1 1/2 yr. old daycare boy who had seperation anxiety terribly!!! I had him since he was born, the parents lied to me- the Mom kept telling me, no he doesn't do this at home for them at all. Until one day , I finally asked the Father, he said"Oh he does it all the time for us also, bangs and kicks at the door, that we are in. He just sreams and screams, until finally we put him a in a pack and play and he will eventually stop" I told the Mom this, she was appalled!! Then 2 weeks before my one week vacation, after watching him all yr. They gave me a 2 week notice! We left in Dec. I gave everyone 4 months notice!! I couldn't believe it!! From then on, I placed it in my contract- If you are leaving for any reason, the 2 week vacation is still owed to me, along with my 2 week paid notice.
Tags:paid vacations
Reply Up