Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One Big Mess
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:02 AM 03-07-2014
I can believe this new group of kids that have been here since September.

I have never, ever had to deal with the playroom looking like it blew up, and theses kids refuse to pick up and clean up.

I have 2, 2yr olds and all they do is dump cubbies all day.

The rest are 3,4,and 5 yrs old and act like I spoke a different language to them.

Im tempted to take each and every toy box and cubbie away. I have centres and different activities and it just ends up all over place.

WWYD? I really need advice.
Scribbles 11:19 AM 03-07-2014
Sounds like the kids are overwhelmed and you may have too many toys out.

I'd take them all out and leave only a couple out at a time.

Rotate the regularly. The kids will be more apt to be interested and more willing to clean when there isnt so much.
Heidi 11:30 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Scribbles:
Sounds like the kids are overwhelmed and you may have too many toys out.

I'd take them all out and leave only a couple out at a time.

Rotate the regularly. The kids will be more apt to be interested and more willing to clean when there isnt so much.

Also, you could put the extra toys in clear bins they can see, but not reach. Then, if they want something out, they can "trade" you for it. Bin for bin.

For the most part, keep your centers, just pare down what you have in each one, and change it out weekly.

Or, if YOU have to clean up anything, you could say "anything I clean up gets put up, so if you don't help me, we won't have many toys to play with". Whatever it is, it's gone for the rest of the week. In sight, preferably, but out of reach. Then, Monday, consider what they really need before putting it all back.
WImom 11:32 AM 03-07-2014
YES!! I say this every day. I want my old groups back!!!! I've never had a group of kids that seem to not understand simple directions, self help, etc, etc. All ages 2.5-5y.

I'd say limit your toys and have a place for everything. The kids have gotten better with less toys cleaning up. I've also rearranged my schedule so that everything they want, ie: Lunch, Snack, Outside is right after a clean up. That has been working to keep them motivated. I usually have one kid a day that is stuck with a "pile" to put away while the rest of us move on.

I do the clear bin thing mentioned above. Anything with lots of pieces are in those. All games and large puzzle are out of reach.
spinnymarie 11:37 AM 03-07-2014
We are having this problem too, they are bored with the toys and we need to get outside.
I packed up about half to get out later. Then I started having timed clean ups every 15 minutes (we set a timer for 1 minute and see who can clean up the most stuff, and who ever does gets a star... sometimes everyone does and sometimes only one person )
butterfly 11:40 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:

take each and every toy box and cubbie away.
As mean as it sounds, that's exactly what I would do. If they can't handle all the options, they wouldn't have them. They'd get to do ONE activity at a time. Everything else would be removed from the daycare space. Once they show me that they can handle the task of cleaning up and being respectful, they would earn more options.
Reply Up