Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Loose Parts
cheerfuldom 06:14 PM 04-03-2014
What do you have in the backyard for the kids to play with that is not permanent fixtures (swing sets, etc.). I am looking for ideas for "loose parts" that encourage building and creative play while still being safe! Feel free to share pics, blog posts or whatever you have found helpful.

I really liked this old blog post http://www.letthechildrenplay.net/20...ay-spaces.html

and this pinterest board
http://www.pinterest.com/mamabare42/...se-parts-play/

but what about clean up? I see all these pics of nicely organized pinecones (LOL) but you know that they will be all over the yard in two seconds. Do you make the kids pick up loose parts like wood scraps? or just leave it all wherever? what about when you have to mow?
Heidi 06:52 PM 04-03-2014
I follow "let the children play", but my kiddos have been too little for a lot of the ideas. I wonder about this too. Do you follow "teacher Tom?" I think they use "loose parts", as well.
Laurel 07:03 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
What do you have in the backyard for the kids to play with that is not permanent fixtures (swing sets, etc.). I am looking for ideas for "loose parts" that encourage building and creative play while still being safe! Feel free to share pics, blog posts or whatever you have found helpful.

I really liked this old blog post http://www.letthechildrenplay.net/20...ay-spaces.html

and this pinterest board
http://www.pinterest.com/mamabare42/...se-parts-play/

but what about clean up? I see all these pics of nicely organized pinecones (LOL) but you know that they will be all over the yard in two seconds. Do you make the kids pick up loose parts like wood scraps? or just leave it all wherever? what about when you have to mow?
I'm not sure if this is what you mean but I cut a pool noodle in half (because we needed two) and they have fun with those. They hit wiffle balls with it like golfing and baseball, my grandson pretends it is a leaf blower, they get out aggression by hitting a tree with it, they use it for a telescope or touch it on something they can't reach with their hand and think that is cool and on and on. You can also cut them into smaller pieces and stack them, etc. Just Google 'things to do with pool noodles' and there is a lot of cool ideas.

I don't really like stick play because it seems like someone always almost gets hurt but I have found something that works lately. I ask them to help me pick up sticks and pieces of branches and we pile them up like you would to start a fire. They are allowed to break larger ones into smaller ones like with their foot. They enjoy the finding and stacking. (that way they aren't spreading them but collecting them)

I really find that if you just let them explore the yard without adding anything they can find a lot to do. They'll just yank out grass and put it in a bucket or dig in the dirt, etc. I tell them to chase butterflies (knowing they can't catch them anyway). We imitate bird sounds, play tag, hide and seek, do bubbles and sidewalk chalk.

Laurel

Personally I'd rather let them explore what there is rather than adding things. I don't want the big messes and lawn mowing problems like you mentioned. Edited to add: Besides mine would probably dump out the basket of pinecones so they could use the basket to put on their heads! They do like empty containers of all sorts, btw.
Laurel 07:25 PM 04-03-2014
http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...as&rs=ac&len=9
Meyou 01:42 AM 04-04-2014
I encourage play with loose parts in the back part of the yard near the mud kitchen and when they clean up all of the bits go in that area. If my dh has to mow we do an extra pickup and a search the yard game.
Josiegirl 03:15 AM 04-04-2014
That blog post has a wonderful list of loose parts! I think I'm going to be on the lookout for stuff like that for this summer, and let the little ones' imaginations take over. Now if I can just keep the dogs from eating up everything.
Unregistered 09:47 AM 04-04-2014
Tree "Cookies" are popular on our playground. Varying thickness and diameter of slices of trees that have been cut down. They have been chairs, pillows, stepping stones and stages.
butterfly 11:13 AM 04-04-2014
I love the idea, but most of the photos I've seen of it just looks so trashy. If there was a way to keep it organized or contained at least. I'm a little too OCD to allow loose parts as most use them.

I do try to encourage imaginative play with the items we have, but I'm not willing to have a pile of scrap wood and old tires laying around.

I like the pool noodle idea!
cheerfuldom 08:50 PM 04-20-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I love the idea, but most of the photos I've seen of it just looks so trashy. If there was a way to keep it organized or contained at least. I'm a little too OCD to allow loose parts as most use them.

I do try to encourage imaginative play with the items we have, but I'm not willing to have a pile of scrap wood and old tires laying around.

yes that is my issue as well. I dont mind some mess but I dont want the yard covered in trash looking items and it is an issue when my husband mows and also, we have a dog that will chew anything chewable such as foam noodles!
hwichlaz 09:21 AM 04-21-2014
I used to have pool noodles of various lengths and large lightweight foam blocks. They are put up until my own child stops biting chunks out of pool noodles but they are a big hit. I have a big laundry basket that they are put into when play is over.
WImom 10:11 AM 04-21-2014
we have lots - I don't bring them all out at once but usually 3 or four

Pool Noodles cut up
Ball Pit Balls
Dress up (outdoor type like construction workers, mail man, etc as well as hula skirts and tutus since the girls likes to twirl with those and there is no room inside.)
Bubbles
Paint brushes (they use water)
Dora Backpacks (Plastic ones)
Tools
Balls (Different kinds and sizes)
Then we also have different sensory tables
Spray Bottles - they love those in the summer when it's hot - I put the dial on mist
Jump Ropes
Hula Hoops
Ball catchers - two paddles and ball sticks to them and also milk cartons with the top cut off

I store all of this in a Rubbermaid cabinet. I also would like to make one of those water wall things but I'm trying to figure out a way to make it look really nice.
misslori50 10:54 AM 04-21-2014
if you have kids its going to look like it.
hwichlaz 11:23 AM 04-21-2014
I also have hula hoops, playground balls, and trikes. Also sidewalk chalk for my patio.
cheerfuldom 12:52 PM 04-21-2014
I only have a small patio in the back so any bike riding happens out front. In the front we have bikes, trikes, scooters, strollers, sidewalk chalk, and water play
Stepping 06:35 PM 04-24-2014
I have tree bark blocks, ramps and balls, pebbles and old pots and pans. Occasionally, I throw in tubes, boxes and other parts from packaging. These get thrown out once they are deteriorating.

I have my kiddos (aged 16 mos to 3 1/2) pick up all loose parts and throw in an outdoor wooden cubby shelf unit I bought from wayfair.

Bigger items such as balls and trikes (which are likely to be stolen) go in a locked outdoor storage box.

The kids are pretty good at picking everything up.
Attached: image.jpg (123.5 KB) 
Stepping 06:38 PM 04-24-2014
Pics didn't load. Trying again
Attached: image.jpg (172.7 KB) 
Stepping 06:39 PM 04-24-2014
And again!
Attached: image.jpg (89.0 KB) 
daycarediva 06:42 PM 04-24-2014
Plastic gutters, wooden pieces of all shapes and sizes ( I have a storage tote) pots, pans ( working on a mud kitchen ) plastic tube blocks, PVC lengths and pieces ( they LOVE THESE) T, X, L shaped ends , they put together to talk through, roll things through, water play, etc.

My dh is getting a GIANT rock (2 1/2-3ft tall) from our woods for us to jump off of and climb on . I'm sooo excited!

I want a walking/bike path, outside music area, willow branch hut, zip line, soooo many things.
Josiegirl 03:04 AM 04-25-2014
Haha! Who else but a dcprovider would be excited about a huge rock? I'm jealous by the way. I've kinda broached the subject of getting stumps, logs, tree cookies, large rocks, from a landscaper who installed my fence. He just gave me a look.....
melskids 05:49 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:

I had to chuckle at this. My yard totally looks like a junkyard.

We have scrap wood, pieces of PVC pipe, tires, milk crates, patio pavers, bottle babies, rain gutters, fence posts, tree stumps, tree cookies, pots and pans, old laundry soap bottles, miles and miles of ribbons and rope, pieces of trellis and plywood, you name it.

I tell my parents not to bring anything to the dump....come drop it off here first, and they usually do.
SignMeUp 06:00 AM 04-25-2014
Tongue and groove flooring is fun. We had scraps from re-doing a porch and cut them into manageable pieces.
Kids make train tracks, roads, beds for bunnies all kinds of stuff.
They like real stuff, I think. I used to say that our toys were half store-bought and half junk. The kids play longer with the junk.
But licensing cracked down on a lot here and want stuff that is manufactured, so that I/they will know if it's recalled.
Josiegirl 10:09 AM 04-25-2014
Ooh ribbons and trellis! Good idea!
Stepping 11:41 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Tongue and groove flooring is fun. We had scraps from re-doing a porch and cut them into manageable pieces.
Kids make train tracks, roads, beds for bunnies all kinds of stuff.
They like real stuff, I think. I used to say that our toys were half store-bought and half junk. The kids play longer with the junk.
But licensing cracked down on a lot here and want stuff that is manufactured, so that I/they will know if it's recalled.
Tongue and groove is a great idea! We probably have loads of it in the garage.
Reply Up