Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Trained Or Not Potty Trained???
llpa 11:37 AM 04-17-2014
I had this face when dcm of dropin dcg 3 said : " she is fully potty trained and will be wearing undies BUT if she has to poop she will ask you to put a diaper on her so she can go. She won't poop on the toilet" potty trained you say? go put the diaper on her dcm!
preschoolteacher 12:07 PM 04-17-2014
I've heard of this before!

I had a parent say recently "She potty trained over the weekend, but she won't tell you that she has to go, so you just have to watch for her potty dance and run her to the bathroom." What!! Diapers back on.
grandmom 02:34 PM 04-17-2014
I hate potty training.
craftymissbeth 03:47 PM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I hate potty training.

Rachel 01:56 AM 04-18-2014
Some kids do have an issue with poop. If the child is asking for a diaper and fine with pee I would consider that fine to wear underwear. If the child is having poop accidents, no way! But asking for a diaper for poop and going in that I woudl consider "trained"
Laurel 09:40 AM 04-18-2014
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I hate potty training.

NeedaVaca 09:43 AM 04-18-2014
Originally Posted by Rachel:
Some kids do have an issue with poop. If the child is asking for a diaper and fine with pee I would consider that fine to wear underwear. If the child is having poop accidents, no way! But asking for a diaper for poop and going in that I woudl consider "trained"
I don't see how pooping in a diaper is trained
SignMeUp 11:08 AM 04-18-2014
...of what "trained" consists of. It's short and simple, and is what I consider to be trained. It doesn't mean everyone's definition is the same, but it's what I mean when I say a child is trained.
WImom 12:08 PM 04-18-2014
I agree, I have one that is underwear until nap and then she always poops about 10-15 minutes after that pull up is on. Has been with me 6 months and never an accident when in underwear. She has just started going poop on the potty though so hopefully we will be pull up free all together soon!! (She was afraid to go, another kid was potty training and then she decided to try it)

I've had may kids thought that parents thought they were potty trained and they sooo were not!
Rachel 12:37 PM 04-19-2014
I guess what I mean is, if a kid isn't having accidents, then that's "trained." If the child is asking to go pee in the potty, and asking for a diaper to poop, then the provider is not dealing with accidents. The point of putting a diaper on a child is to avoid accidents. If the child is peeing in the potty and asking for a diaper before pooping, I don't think the child needs a diaper all day long. As opposed to a child who is having accidents because s/he is too distracted to use the toilet or needs to be taken to the toilet, and therefore still needs a diaper.
TwinKristi 01:15 PM 04-19-2014
I guess what I mean is, if a kid isn't having accidents, then that's "trained." If the child is asking to go pee in the potty, and asking for a diaper to poop, then the provider is not dealing with accidents. The point of putting a diaper on a child is to avoid accidents. If the child is peeing in the potty and asking for a diaper before pooping, I don't think the child needs a diaper all day long. As opposed to a child who is having accidents because s/he is too distracted to use the toilet or needs to be taken to the toilet, and therefore still needs a diaper.
I agree. My oldest DS had an issue with going poop in the potty. He would be playing at preschool and have an accident and they didn't know until it was time to go in or something. One time they had me come get him (I don't remember why exactly) and no one had changed him. Looking back I should have flipped out but it was after-care for Head Start and I didn't have much of a choice back then. I took him home to clean him up and he slipped and hit his face in the bathtub and got a horrible bloody nose, it was quite a traumatic event. He held his poop for over a week after. Needed an X-ray and Miralax (which was Rx only back then) and finally went but damaged the colon and the sensation to go decreased causing him to hold it longer. The twins were my hardest of 6 to PT!! My youngest turned 2 in Dec and has been in undies for months. He is almost there but only at home so far, we haven't ventured in public but once or twice. But at home he'll run to the potty, take off his undies and go, flush, wash his hands... the whole bit! I wouldn't call him potty trained though. He rarely has accidents anymore, usually after his nap when he wakes up he is too sleepy and grumpy to actually go.
llpa 04:25 PM 04-19-2014
OP here. I had never had a parent "instruct" me to put a diaper on her child when the child requested it for this purpose. I was completely taken aback. I am a mom of four and grandparent to five. In my mind a child is potty trained when he/she has not had to use a diaper for two weeks. Is able to tell me " I need to go" and then pulls pants up/down gets on the toilet and goes. Then cleans self and pulls pants back up, washes hands and returns to the group. I will help to a certain degree especially in the beginning. But in my mind and in my contract this dcg is not toilet trained. I sympathize with her and I understand alternate points of view, especially those providers who have had children who were in this circumstance. But what if I can't drop everything to do this for her? What if I am in the middle of someone else's poopy diaper!? What then? I'm just not willing to do it.
KidGrind 04:45 PM 04-19-2014
Originally Posted by llpa:
OP here. I had never had a parent "instruct" me to put a diaper on her child when the child requested it for this purpose. I was completely taken aback. I am a mom of four and grandparent to five. In my mind a child is potty trained when he/she has not had to use a diaper for two weeks. Is able to tell me " I need to go" and then pulls pants up/down gets on the toilet and goes. Then cleans self and pulls pants back up, washes hands and returns to the group. I will help to a certain degree especially in the beginning. But in my mind and in my contract this dcg is not toilet trained. I sympathize with her and I understand alternate points of view, especially those providers who have had children who were in this circumstance. But what if I can't drop everything to do this for her? What if I am in the middle of someone else's poopy diaper!? What then? I'm just not willing to do it.

TickleMonster 05:23 PM 04-20-2014
I have a child like this. She has been potty trained for a year now and rarely has pee accidents but she is scared to poop in the toilet. From what dcm says she poops at home in a pullup but I never have to deal with it here, nor would I. When dcm first told me that dcg was scared to poop in the potty, I told her that we are not placing a diaper on her here so if she needs to go, she will need to use the toilet. For the first time in a year, she finally pooped in the toilet here and wasn't afraid! It took a long time but to me, its not a big deal. Just inform the dcp that you will not be using a diaper or pullup for her potty needs.
Tags:potty trained - not
Reply Up