Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help With Wording Policy Changes
angiescott 06:07 AM 11-25-2014
So I've finally decided to grow somewhat of a backbone and change my policy about attendance and pay. Where I live, I can't really charge full-time rates for all children because they're parents simply can't aford to pay for full-time if they only need one or two days. So I'm not raising my rates this year, but this is what I want to do. I'm not doing this to be able to take more kids on, in fact, I kind of want some of them to leave on their own.

1. There is going to be a two-day minimum charge. I'm hoping this will get the one day a week kids out, if not, at least I get paid for them being here for two days. They can use both days or not, I don't care.

2. I want to start charging a $25 a year supply fee per child. This is to help offset not raising rates.

3. I want to start sending home monthy schedules for the following month where parents fill out. Then get it back before the new month starts. If they say they're child will be here, they get charged for it. If they need an extra day, then it's possible if we have room for their child. Also, I was thinking about giving a certain number of sick/personal days but not sure what a good number is. This way they can schedule vacations and not use the sick days.

4. There will be no more hourly rates. It is a daily fee, should I do a 1/2 day rate if they're only here for a few hours? I know, grow a backbone and charge full day rates most of you will say.

Right now, it's hourly if it's under 5 hours a day and full day rate for anything else. I'm really tired of people walking all over me and whining if I charge them for a full day at 5 hours. Also, they don't pay if they're not here, no matter what the reason. That always worked out fine but lately I'm having a ton of kids not come for a variety of reasons, most of which are not illness.

If anyone can help me put this in a not so blunt way, I'd appreciate it. Right now, I simply want to type it up with bullet points and be done. If parents are bothered by it so be it. I figure I should try to do this politely before I get snotty with them.

Thanks!
daycare 08:01 AM 11-25-2014
I know every area is different however this is how I run my program

minimum is two set days.

Monday or tuesday for 2 day attendance

M-W-F for 3 day.

all days are set days no day transfer. anything used outside set time blocks/days will be billed at an additional rate.

I do offer a half day program as I teach preschool. anything under 4 hours is a half day anything over that is full time rate.

I dont offer sick days

I do offer vacation days for full time enrollment. they must take 5 consecutive days off in a row and they will be given 1/2 weekly credit.

when I allowed parents to submit schedules, I had them submit them every friday along with payment for the following week. If I did not have it friday, they were then charged drop in rate which is $10 higher per day and not guaranteed.

no pay, no stay. payment is due regardless of attendance, you are paying to hold a spot, not the actual time it is used.
earlystart 11:58 AM 11-25-2014
I would tel them that you're overhauling your rate structure to make your business run more efficiently. Then lay out the new changes. Yes some people may leave, but that's ok because you eventually want to cater to a different clientele who isn't looking for the "only pay hourly when my child is here" deal. I wouldn't do a half-day rate unless you regularly are able to fill the other half of the day with another client. If you want to keep catering to people with erratic schedules then I like your idea of asking for the schedule in advance, and those are the days they pay for, whether or not they end up attending. The whole point is that you have a certain number of spots available, and ideally you want to fill all of them all the time, so the parent is paying for the privilege to reserve a spot to ensure they will have childcare that day.

What I do is offer two part time schedules: Tue/Thur is the 2 day, and Mon/Wed/Fri is the 3 day. Once they choose their schedule, it's the same price no matter how many hours you use, I don't offer a half-day rate. Though they pay weekly, the per-day rate breaks down to be more per day for the 2 day schedule, then gets discounted a few dollars for the 3 day, and a few more dollars for the full time M-F. I have a separate drop-in rate, but I never have availability for that because I'm always fully enrolled with clients who have chosen these set schedules.
Reply Up