Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing the Wording for Holiday's In Handbook
WImom 04:30 PM 12-30-2014
So currently (and in the past) I've had Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Day after, New Years Eve, and New Years Day all paid holiday's. I noticed though that starting next year I will start losing days with them falling on weekends.
Did anyone else change theirs yet?

I changed it from listing out the holiday days to this? Does it make sense?

Paid Holidays/Vacation:
XXXXXXXXX will send home a yearly holiday/Vacation schedule in January or at enrollment if your child is enrolled after January of the current year. XXXXX will be closed for 10 Paid days per year.
If a paid holiday/vacation day falls on your scheduled day, full payment will be required. (Example: Holiday falls on a Wednesday and child normally is in care on Wednesday, then the day is considered a paid holiday.) Any additional days that XXXXX is closed will be unpaid days.
daycare 04:33 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by WImom:
So currently (and in the past) I've had Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Day after, New Years Eve, and New Years Day all paid holiday's. I noticed though that starting next year I will start losing days with them falling on weekends.

How could I word my 5 days of holiday pay so I'm not losing out? Did anyone else change theirs yet?
I personally don't take all of that time off if they fall on the weekend.

what I do have is if the holiday should fall on a saturday, we will be closed the Friday before. IF the holiday falls on a sunday, we will close the monday after.
Leigh 05:04 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I personally don't take all of that time off if they fall on the weekend.

what I do have is if the holiday should fall on a saturday, we will be closed the Friday before. IF the holiday falls on a sunday, we will close the monday after.
Same here...I may take a holiday on Friday and vacation on Monday and Tuesday, though.
earlystart 05:18 PM 12-30-2014
I had gotten my contract wording from Tom Copeland's contract & policies book. I listed out my paid holidays, and then it says "if the holiday falls on a Saturday, it will be observed the day before (Friday), and if it falls on a Sunday, it will be observed the day after (Monday)". That way I still get my holidays.
WImom 05:39 PM 12-30-2014
Thanks! I like that wording better! Off to change it.
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 12-31-2014
I changed my policies this year to getting paid 52 weeks a year, then sent home a calendar with days off marked. July 4th is a Saturday this next year so I'm taking the Friday off.
For some silly reason I feel guilty taking time off and charging for it(gotta change my mindset about that one) but otherwise I put myself last, health wise, mental wise and we all need breaks, to keep up with appts. and such.
Crazy8 04:42 PM 12-31-2014
I have the "may take the Friday or Monday" wording in my contract but I was looking at next year and realize the holidays fall on the friday and as of now I am closed on Fridays. But not sure if that will still be the case by next December so I am just leaving it as is. There are years I got "jipped" out of a few paid holidays because of the days they fall on.
TheGoodLife 09:26 AM 01-01-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I have the "may take the Friday or Monday" wording in my contract but I was looking at next year and realize the holidays fall on the friday and as of now I am closed on Fridays. But not sure if that will still be the case by next December so I am just leaving it as is. There are years I got "jipped" out of a few paid holidays because of the days they fall on.
I used to be open T-F only, so I lost a lot of holidays that fell on Mondays as well. I didn't change anything, though, since I didn't think it was fair to have every Monday off AND to take additional Tuesdays off to make up those holidays. If a holiday fell on a weekend though, I would always take Friday off (I think it was only 1 time it did that).
SignMeUp 12:43 PM 01-01-2015
I'm only open four days also, and miss some holidays because of that. (lately, July 4th) If I decide I really want a day off around a holiday, I just take it off paid, as one of my personal days. Lots of times I don't take anything, because having the three days off gives me what I need. The holiday will fall on a work day again in a couple of years.
Unregistered 07:55 AM 01-03-2015
Honestly, I'm still going to be open. In this area, you can't ask for pay and not be open. I'm going to ask for letters on business letterheads that there is work that day. If I get them, the child can stay. If not, that child won't be allowed to come. Hopefully, no one will show up on those days. It will only be the day after Christmas, News Eve, and day. I don't need the days before and after a holiday. It's super annoying to be annoying for the one child who needs it and the sahm mom takes advantage too.
Tags:handbook, handbook - revisions
Reply Up