Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>I Think I Screwed Up :(
jenboo 01:20 PM 01-15-2015
I thought that as long as my husband was working and withholding taxes, that I didn't have to file quarterly. Well, I was just reading that if he isn't withholding enough, then I might have to pay penalties
I wish taxes were simple. I had no idea about this.

Im guessing we are going to be in trouble because he only made about $27k (guestimating) and I made about $40k. He was withholding normal until August when we started claiming as single and claimed an extra $200 per paycheck.

I really hope we don't owe more than I have set aside.
TomCopeland 01:35 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I thought that as long as my husband was working and withholding taxes, that I didn't have to file quarterly. Well, I was just reading that if he isn't withholding enough, then I might have to pay penalties

Im guessing we are going to be in trouble because he only made about $27k (guestimating) and I made about $40k. He was withholding normal until August when we started claiming as single and claimed an extra $200 per paycheck.

You can still avoid any penalties for the last quarter of 2014, by filing IRS Form 1040ES by today! That's all you can do at this point. Any penalty will be minor (and it's his penalty as much as yours!).
Laurel 01:36 PM 01-15-2015

In 20 years of doing childcare I never have filed quarterly. My husband just had more taken out of his paycheck. One year we did owe but there were no penalties. We just had to pay is all.

Laurel
NightOwl 01:41 PM 01-15-2015
I haven't paid quarterly either. Are we technically supposed to?
jenboo 01:59 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can still avoid any penalties for the last quarter of 2014, by filing IRS Form 1040ES by today! That's all you can do at this point. Any penalty will be minor (and it's his penalty as much as yours!).
So im looking at this right now and im so so so lost. How do i figure out my adjusted gross income? it says to look at 2013 taxes but I was only open for 4 months in 2013.
jenboo 01:59 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
In 20 years of doing childcare I never have filed quarterly. My husband just had more taken out of his paycheck. One year we did owe but there were no penalties. We just had to pay is all.

Laurel
we would have taken more out of his paycheck but i didn't know he had to be claiming a certain amount to "cover" me.
WImom 12:48 PM 01-16-2015
I got a $40 penalty last year. We adjusted my husbands withholding so hopefully we are okay this year. If not then I will start in 2015 (Probably April since I don't know yet) paying quarterly. Taxes are confusing!
jenboo 01:52 PM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I haven't paid quarterly either. Are we technically supposed to?
When you are self employed, you have to pay a certain amount of taxes by a certain time or you get fined. Of you have a working spouse, they can withhold extra to cover your part.
Basically, the government wants to make sure they get to borrow as much $$ from people as they can throughout the year.
NightOwl 03:08 PM 01-16-2015
When you are self employed, you have to pay a certain amount of taxes by a certain time or you get fined. Of you have a working spouse, they can withhold extra to cover your part.
Basically, the government wants to make sure they get to borrow as much $$ from people as they can throughout the year.
There were no fines last year. Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong....
TomCopeland 03:14 PM 01-16-2015
So im looking at this right now and im so so so lost. How do i figure out my adjusted gross income? it says to look at 2013 taxes but I was only open for 4 months in 2013.
To determine how to figure out how much you will owe in federal taxes on your income - multiply your gross income (parent fees, CACFP) by 20%. This represents a ball park estimate of what you will owe.
Reply Up