Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Being Too Picky?
WImom 10:59 AM 01-26-2015
I have 4 kids potty training right now out of 8. One little girl is almost 4y old and always refused to try the potty but lately says she will "try" so parents want her to try here which is fine. Now my issue is this....Parents send her in Pull Up, Underwear over pull up, pants or legging and a skirt over that. I would like her to be in pull up and pants only. I think DCG wants to wear the other two items which is why she has them on. To me it's a pain and makes it take longer than it needs to for potty breaks.

I'm I being too picky? I know parents will be annoyed since they are all for her wearing what she wants and I am too but during potty training at school I thinks it's unnecessary.
Febby 11:16 AM 01-26-2015
My center requires children who are potty training or potty trained to be in outfits they can pull up/down by themselves in a reasonable amount of time. If she can't do that, then I would tell her parents to limit the layers to allow her to develop her basic self help skills without becoming frustrated from all the layers.
Laurel 11:23 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by WImom:
I have 4 kids potty training right now out of 8. One little girl is almost 4y old and always refused to try the potty but lately says she will "try" so parents want her to try here which is fine. Now my issue is this....Parents send her in Pull Up, Underwear over pull up, pants or legging and a skirt over that. I would like her to be in pull up and pants only. I think DCG wants to wear the other two items which is why she has them on. To me it's a pain and makes it take longer than it needs to for potty breaks.

I'm I being too picky? I know parents will be annoyed since they are all for her wearing what she wants and I am too but during potty training at school I thinks it's unnecessary.
No, it's not picky. I'd either tell mom or if mom is a pain, I'd just have dcg take off the extra items after she arrives and put them on before she leaves for the day.

Laurel
Givingthemgrace 01:55 PM 01-26-2015
If the DCG cant take all of those layers off by herself it's too much IMO. and underwear is for when you are potty trained.
daycare 02:03 PM 01-26-2015
NOt picky at all.

I tell parents this think if you were wearing all of that and you really needed to go, you yourself might have an accident.

I say the child must be able to self manage their clothing during potty training and after.. No matter how old you are, if you can't get your pants off, youre going to have an accident. this usually gets through to them

if it does not, the I would tell the parents, if you don't send in appropriate attire for potty training, I won't potty train.

I have a potty training list of dos and don'ts.

if the parents don't agree with how we do it here, then we don't help.
Unregistered 06:40 PM 01-26-2015
most families are potty training one child at a time
we potty train many at a time and diaper change others at same time
parents have no idea how hard it is to deal with many chiuldren at once, when one is cover head to toe with layers of clothes...
we do not have time to watch many others while undressing the over dressed child

I had once a child in my early days come with a onesy (sp ) with tights with socks, with pants or coveralls and t-shirt and sweater ...all at once
best time was when getting ready to go out or pick up some one else from school and all are dressed ready to go.. and ...you ...smell ...that ...smell ...and from who ??
yes ..the kid with the onesy ( sp ) with tights, with socks, with pants or coveralls and t-shirt and sweater ...and of course it is winter ..so with coat boots and mitts....you get the picture
I use that story when talking to other parents about how it would help me and the other children ...to not over dress their child ..
Play Care 09:17 AM 01-27-2015
My potty training policy stipulates the child has to have easy clothing that they can manage - elastic waist pants preferablly, no over-alls, tights, etc. So I don't think you are being picky.

My policy further says that I won't take any child over 3 who isn't already potty trained (barring any documented disabilites) and I wont *keep* children after 3 1/2 who are not potty traind (again barring any *documented* disability) So yeah, I don't think you're being picky at all!
Febby 11:09 AM 01-27-2015
My favorites are the parents who send their children in one piece bathing suits under their 47 layers of tights/pants and shirts/sweaters in the middle of winter. Bonus points if the child is still in pull-up and started potty training yesterday.
WImom 12:33 PM 01-27-2015
Thanks! She can get all the items off but it takes a long time so we are always waiting for her. Yeah, don't get me started on the underwear over the pull up. I have two like this! What happened to ...Yeah! you are potty trained now so go pick out some cute undies!! They already have them so no motivation.

She has been doing this "trying" thing for 3 weeks now and hasn't actually gone yet. I don't fight her. I tell her it's time to go potty if she says no then whatever. It's a big game her and her parents are playing for over 6 months now and I'm not joining in.
laundrymom 10:44 AM 02-02-2015
I would remove whatever item bugged me and get on with my day.
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 02-02-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would remove whatever item bugged me and get on with my day.
Hey stranger!!! Nice to see you again!! It's been a while!

Hope things are going well for you!
laundrymom 11:10 AM 02-02-2015
Doing great. Still a provider. Still strict. Still in love with the career. You?
Reply Up