Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 Year Old "Boy Toys"
DaisyMamma 07:02 AM 02-04-2015
I have a 2.5 year old boy that's outgrown what I've got available to play with. He prefers to run up and down the hallway and will do it for hours.
we have 2 feet of snow outside.
He will watch tv but that's not the answer.
Any ideas on stimulating toys would be wonderful.
laundrymom 07:15 AM 02-04-2015
For that age here we have matchbox cars, dolls. Books, Legos, puzzles, Barbie dolls, play dough, dress up clothes, musical instruments, and crayons with blank paper.
I offer no tv or computer things. No battery toys of any kind. I also don't have gender specific categories. Here, girls play with trucks and boys play with barbies.
DaisyMamma 07:16 AM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
For that age here we have matchbox cars, dolls. Books, Legos, puzzles, Barbie dolls, play dough, dress up clothes, musical instruments, and crayons with blank paper.
I offer no tv or computer things. No battery toys of any kind. I also don't have gender specific categories. Here, girls play with trucks and boys play with barbies.
I have all those things. He's just totally bored of it all.
laundrymom 07:23 AM 02-04-2015
Masking tape. ��
laundrymom 07:30 AM 02-04-2015
Glue sticks with ribbon on construction paper
We have cotton ball races across the floor. Blowing them along tape lines. We have indoor obstacle courses. We make forts and bake. We sew and build really cool box castles. How about having him color boxes? Here we color boxes and use them for all sorts of things. Or have him help move heavy things. To burn off energy. Like, totes full of rocks or shoes. Or Christmas decorations?
WImom 07:54 AM 02-04-2015
Magna-tiles, puzzles with latches
Unregistered 08:08 AM 02-04-2015
I like to make individual sensory boxes. Maybe put the trucks or plastic dinosaurs in gravel, sand, dried oatmeal, etc. in a small storage box. Also, maybe fill them with plastic toys and shovels in snow, or ice cubes with plastic spoons and containers, little people and their cars in shaving cream.......
jenboo 08:32 AM 02-04-2015
Tape paper towel tubes on the wall and let him drop things through it.
Made a road for cars with tape.
Do you have trains?
Maybe set up a couple small stools he can jump off of
finsup 08:46 AM 02-04-2015
Blocks and all kinds of them.wooden ones, duplos, Lego's if yo think they can handle it...it keeps the boys here busy all day. I put them next to the tool bench and lots of awesome pretend play happens. Cardboard boxes are a huge hit with them too...big enough to get into of course
Unregistered 09:10 AM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I have a 2.5 year old boy that's outgrown what I've got available to play with. He prefers to run up and down the hallway and will do it for hours.
we have 2 feet of snow outside.
He will watch tv but that's not the answer.
Any ideas on stimulating toys would be wonderful.
We have about 2-3 feet of snow outside as well but we will go out! It wears them out playing in it. I have a 2 1/2 boy who loves, dinosaurs, cars, busy books, super Heros, puppets. He's also very active and likes to run so we try for outside unless it's to cold. We do singing games that involve movement sleeping bunnies is his favorite.
deliberateliterate 09:36 AM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by WImom:
Magna-tiles, puzzles with latches

OMG, magna tiles! They are expensive, but my all of my kids 2+ (even my 6yr olds) will sit and play with these...sometimes for an hour at a time!! Such a good investment!
laundrymom 10:29 AM 02-04-2015
Do you have a lending library? Our resource and referral has a lending library that I get all kinds of super fun, expensive, challenging toys.
nothingwithoutjoy 01:58 PM 02-04-2015
Real work. "Can you help me put together this new shelf?" "Can you spray the cabinets (obviously with child-safe spray) and wipe them down?" "Will you shovel a path for me?" I have 3-yr-old boys who can't seem to play, but will happily work.
SilverSabre25 03:12 PM 02-04-2015
My own 3 year old boy loves imaginext buildings and figures, the box of toy animals, the magnadoodle, and minecraft. .. (thanks seven year old sister). He also enjoys pattern blocks and cards though they frustrate him, but he needs the fine motor work. He likes painting sometimes and the water bin sometimes. he likes train tracks and trains, and big floor puzzles. And transformers and rescue bots.
Starburst 07:43 PM 02-05-2015
Maybe try incorperating more sensory, like water/ sand/ marbles/ gel/ shaving cream/ dry rice (maybe put down a tarp or a sheet if inside).
Reply Up