Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Severe or Continual Disruptive Behavior in School Is A Crime
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 02-04-2019
Interesting article Fantastic topic.

https://www.moultrienews.com/opinion...u5L7n_5rh5sL5Y

" Q: Studies show us that the loss of instructional time for students who are suspended or expelled is rising. How can we reduce suspensions and keep students in school?

The best way to keep students in school is to increase the number of suspensions.

In many schools, kids can bully peers, assault teachers, sexually harass classmates and create major disruptions; yet nothing is ever done about it. Then we worry about test scores and achievement gaps while the biggest obstacle to fixing those things is right there in the classroom every day: disruptive students. There is a solution.

Put them out."
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 02-04-2019
Excellent article! One I wish I had access to when my child was being bullied through out his middle school years.

This stuck out to me immediately:

"nobody’s story should ever get to overwrite somebody else’s. And even though I feel pity for a child, a teacher’s pity should never permit one child to destroy the education of another."

Each time he followed the protocol the school set forth as how to manage bullying he was told to be more empathetic towards his bully.

My DH and I went into a meeting with the principal once and we were told "You have to understand. B comes from a broken home and dealing with peers is difficult for him."

What I heard was "The bully has it worse than your child so your child should just suck it up and deal with it."
Cat Herder 07:30 AM 02-04-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What I heard was "The bully has it worse than your child so your child should just suck it up and deal with it."
This perfectly describes way too many kids school experience.

It took my child's having taken the class bully down by the throat for the school to intervene.
sharlan 08:52 AM 02-04-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Excellent article! One I wish I had access to when my child was being bullied through out his middle school years.

This stuck out to me immediately:

"nobody’s story should ever get to overwrite somebody else’s. And even though I feel pity for a child, a teacher’s pity should never permit one child to destroy the education of another."

Each time he followed the protocol the school set forth as how to manage bullying he was told to be more empathetic towards his bully.

My DH and I went into a meeting with the principal once and we were told "You have to understand. B comes from a broken home and dealing with peers is difficult for him."

Yep, common excuse for poor behavior. The child being bullied has to show empathy and suck it up.
Cat Herder 09:10 AM 02-04-2019
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Yep, common excuse for poor behavior. The child being bullied has to show empathy and suck it up.
Until they reach fight or flight.
Josiegirl 09:42 AM 02-04-2019
Dealing with peers is difficult for a lot of kids!! But they don't all turn into bullies or criminals!!
This reminds me of when more rights are given to the perpetrators than to the victims.
nannyde 11:38 AM 02-04-2019
We had this thread a while back regarding what Illinois is doing to it's daycare providers: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88253

Post 39 pretty much sums up my feelings about being forced to keep violent or disruptive kids in care.

It's ridiculous.

This parent is concerned about her child loosing instructional time because of badly behaved students. I totally get that. I agree that her child's education is valuable to her and her child.

In comparing the two scenarios (Illinois requiring providers to keep kids they deem a poor fit because of behavior and school's keeping kids because they have to keep their missed days down) I wonder how many parents were outraged when they found out their under five kid had to be exposed for months to the violent child while the system was worked out to expel in Illinois? I wonder how many people stood for providers and said a child's stability in child care is NOT MORE IMPORTANT than a providers ability to support her family.

The author of this article's child's education is NOT MORE IMPORTANT than a providers ability to provide support for HER children. The provider has PAYING customers. Unless the author's child is in private school, it is funded by taxpayers. The taxpayers have little recourse. A paying customer has swift and severe recourses when their child is exposed to bullying or the victim of aggression.

When a child's behavior has to be tolerated in a classroom setting the teacher doesn't loose income over it. When it is forced upon us, we do. Loosing income for the provider is just as important as loosing education for a child.

What grinds my gears about Illinois is that the parents of these kids don't have to do a SINGLE thing in this very complicated termination process. Everything is put onto the provider. Every risk is her risk.

I feel so sorry for todays teacher. I really do. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go into that field now. At least in home day care, we can be slick enough to mount an offense to keep kids out who "hijack a classroom and hold hostage the learning of their peers" or in daycare language "hijack a business and hold hostage the providers ability to make money to support herself and family and make decisions as a SELF EMPLOYED business owner".

This is just going to get worse.
Hunni Bee 12:05 PM 02-04-2019
My nephew was being bullied mercilessly. This boy has given him a black eye, attacked him on countless occasions. He's also attacked other kids and adults. The principal told us she doesn't have the power to remove him because the district has basically taken the option of expulsion or suspension longer than 2 days off the table, to keep their numbers down.
Sunchimes 12:23 PM 02-04-2019
Has anyone heard about this starting in Texas? Because if so, I have a term to do pretty fast.
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 02-04-2019
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Has anyone heard about this starting in Texas? Because if so, I have a term to do pretty fast.
this made me laugh out loud....
nanglgrl 10:07 AM 02-05-2019
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We had this thread a while back regarding what Illinois is doing to it's daycare providers: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88253

Post 39 pretty much sums up my feelings about being forced to keep violent or disruptive kids in care.

It's ridiculous.

This parent is concerned about her child loosing instructional time because of badly behaved students. I totally get that. I agree that her child's education is valuable to her and her child.

In comparing the two scenarios (Illinois requiring providers to keep kids they deem a poor fit because of behavior and school's keeping kids because they have to keep their missed days down) I wonder how many parents were outraged when they found out their under five kid had to be exposed for months to the violent child while the system was worked out to expel in Illinois? I wonder how many people stood for providers and said a child's stability in child care is NOT MORE IMPORTANT than a providers ability to support her family.

The author of this article's child's education is NOT MORE IMPORTANT than a providers ability to provide support for HER children. The provider has PAYING customers. Unless the author's child is in private school, it is funded by taxpayers. The taxpayers have little recourse. A paying customer has swift and severe recourses when their child is exposed to bullying or the victim of aggression.

When a child's behavior has to be tolerated in a classroom setting the teacher doesn't loose income over it. When it is forced upon us, we do. Loosing income for the provider is just as important as loosing education for a child.

What grinds my gears about Illinois is that the parents of these kids don't have to do a SINGLE thing in this very complicated termination process. Everything is put onto the provider. Every risk is her risk.

I feel so sorry for todays teacher. I really do. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go into that field now. At least in home day care, we can be slick enough to mount an offense to keep kids out who "hijack a classroom and hold hostage the learning of their peers" or in daycare language "hijack a business and hold hostage the providers ability to make money to support herself and family and make decisions as a SELF EMPLOYED business owner".

This is just going to get worse.
Just saying I completely agree and offering some insight into why some choose ECE..in my case it just happened to be because that’s the degree I started and switching majors would have taken way more time since ECE classes don’t really combine with any other majors. In addition, it’s the only degree TEACH helps pay for lol. I have 2 classes and final practicum left after this semester and it’s SO hard to write papers and participate in discussions appropriately with my current beliefs about our education system and how we’re handling things. Next week I get to write a paper about why I think formal assessment is important..for infants and toddlers and not just some who may be showing signs of needing help..every single child in the class.
Tags:disruptive, disruptive behavior, disruptive behaviors, parent - its a verb, violence
Reply Up