Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playground Dilemma
Pepperth 10:16 AM 08-06-2019
Here is my dilemma. I work for a private program that is preschool-8th grade. The playground is shared with older elementary as well as the general public. When the early childhood program was started, they added plastic slides to the playground, which are popular with the kids, but unfortunately they are considered residential. They do not meet licensing standards and I need to get them off the playground before school starts. Essentially, on the playground, we have access to swings and monkey bars. The commercial slide structure is rated kindergarten and up, so we are not allowed on it. We have a large area in which to run. I think when I sell the slides, I'll get a couple covered sandboxes. (which meets regulation) I also am working on a lock box where I can store cars, trucks, balls, etc. What can I do to bulk up the playground a bit, cheaply. I have no place to store items outside other than the one box and remembering that the general public has access to the playground, so anything not locked up is likely to disappear or be broken. I was thinking maybe a mud kitchen, where I can store the accessories in my lock box. I'm not sure. As it is, parents are already disappointed that we can't go on the one slide structure available. I love the idea of loose parts, but can't think of a good way to store items.
PB&J 05:41 PM 08-06-2019
I’m having a hard time picturing a playground that has such wide availability to all ages, public and private - yet you have authority to buy and sell equipment...so I can’t offer help re: what to buy. But as for loose parts, what about a tote on wheels with handle to bring back and forth?
Unregistered 06:46 PM 08-06-2019
Can you put up a chalkboard somewhere?

Tires?
Pepperth 03:27 AM 08-07-2019
Originally Posted by PB&J:
I’m having a hard time picturing a playground that has such wide availability to all ages, public and private - yet you have authority to buy and sell equipment...so I can’t offer help re: what to buy. But as for loose parts, what about a tote on wheels with handle to bring back and forth?
I don't have the authority to buy and sell items that are legal to have on the playground such as the swings and monkey bars. I only have the authority to sell the plastic slides because the State came in and said we can't keep them due to regulations. I definately won't have enough money from the proceeds to actually buy anything the kids can climb on. Loose parts came to mind because its cheaper. If I add nothing, I literally have swings and monkey bars for my littles to play on right now. Think of it as a program within a program. The state doesn't care what the K-8 kids do. They agency that regulates me only regulates the preschool.
Pepperth 03:28 AM 08-07-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can you put up a chalkboard somewhere?

Tires?
Love both these ideas.
Ariana 11:25 AM 08-07-2019
Maybe different turf on the ground with tree stumps, so cedar chips or paving stones just to give a different look and feel to different area? Hopscotch out of paving stones?
Cat Herder 12:16 PM 08-07-2019
I would probably go this route https://www.orientaltrading.com/supe...egoryId=551488 then bring them in and out each day in a plastic tote. $59.00

Includes:

• 5 deluxe playground balls

• 6 swivel jump rope

• 1- 6-ft. polyester parachute

• 12 bean bags

• 6 wrist rings

• 10 plastic cones
Pepperth 02:00 AM 08-08-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would probably go this route https://www.orientaltrading.com/supe...egoryId=551488 then bring them in and out each day in a plastic tote. $59.00

Includes:

• 5 deluxe playground balls

• 6 swivel jump rope

• 1- 6-ft. polyester parachute

• 12 bean bags

• 6 wrist rings

• 10 plastic cones
You know...I think I have a lot of those items on hand already! That's a good idea.
Tags:public playground
Reply Up