Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pick Up
WImom 11:13 AM 12-20-2011
Do you talk alot to the parents at pickup?

I usually am at the table working on stuff with the kids that are here still so I don't. BUT I feel like maybe that parents are expecting me to?

What do you do on a normal day at pick up?
Zoe 11:18 AM 12-20-2011
If we're inside, the kids are all playing in the living room which is right next to the kitchen (where the entrance is). I'll take the child who's getting picked up into the kitchen and shut the gate so no one else can cross. Then I greet the parent, let them put the coat etc. on the child while I talk a little bit to them. Then they leave. It's very quick, but they get my attention while they're there. I'm within sight and sound of all children during this time, so I'm not skimping on supervision at all.
kidkair 11:21 AM 12-20-2011
I chat with the parent as the child is getting ready to go or as the parent is readying the child to go. We just chat about the child's day and any concerning or cute behaviors that the child is displaying. During the summer the kids are often outside at pick up so we may chat more just to let the child run a little longer. I have the kids all free play around pick up times because having them involved in something makes it harder for them to want to leave and keeps me from giving a full good-bye to the child.
mismatchedsocks 11:24 AM 12-20-2011
Quick chat, while I am helping the kids put shoes, hats, etc on and gathering their stuff to take home. If I let the parents get them ready they would take forever, so this way I can speed things along, WHILE talking about the day. Anything super different or important I would have emailed or texted them, and if serious I would have called them to let them know.
daycare 11:31 AM 12-20-2011
I make note of every person that comes in the door. It lets the parents know that I know who is in my house and that I am aware.

I purposley have my contracted hours set so that two families dont drop or pick up at the same time. it helps with parking and it helps with the chaos of the drop/pick off/up.

I will always say, oh hi mom, johnny had a great day today or we had a tuff day, but tomorrow is another day so we are going to work on having a better day tomorrow. If it is something that I feel needs to be addressed, I will tell them that I will call them later...

I think the parents deserve to know what went on with their childs day even if it is very brief
daycare 11:31 AM 12-20-2011
I make note of every person that comes in the door. It lets the parents know that I know who is in my house and that I am aware.

I purposley have my contracted hours set so that two families dont drop or pick up at the same time. it helps with parking and it helps with the chaos of the drop/pick off/up.

I will always say, oh hi mom, johnny had a great day today or we had a tuff day, but tomorrow is another day so we are going to work on having a better day tomorrow. If it is something that I feel needs to be addressed, I will tell them that I will call them later...

I think the parents deserve to know what went on with their childs day even if it is very brief
WImom 11:35 AM 12-20-2011
I will always say hi to the parents but sometimes I have 3 families at once picking up. I also notice a few of the families can't talk with me and get the kids ready at the same time so if I did chat they'd be here even longer.

I will usually say a quick so and so had a good day or not a good day, etc. But I keep it brief and I keep thinking maybe it's too brief. I guess I'll have to work on that.
daycare 11:39 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I will always say hi to the parents but sometimes I have 3 families at once picking up. I also notice a few of the families can't talk with me and get the kids ready at the same time so if I did chat they'd be here even longer.

I will usually say a quick so and so had a good day or not a good day, etc. But I keep it brief and I keep thinking maybe it's too brief. I guess I'll have to work on that.
do you work on contracted hours?
momma2girls 11:43 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Quick chat, while I am helping the kids put shoes, hats, etc on and gathering their stuff to take home. If I let the parents get them ready they would take forever, so this way I can speed things along, WHILE talking about the day. Anything super different or important I would have emailed or texted them, and if serious I would have called them to let them know.
I do the same exact thing!! It does really help speed things along. Most of my parents come right at or right near my closing time. If I let them do it, it would take an extra 10 min. to get out the door. Especially one family, it might take 10-15 min. UGHH!!! I used to allow it, but not any longer. She would sit on my chair, and let her son, run and run around and cont. playing, til I put an end to it.
Heidi 11:44 AM 12-20-2011
Yes, I do chat, but it's tricky because one mom has 4 kids to pick up (all under 5).

At 4:30, we all clean up our toys or projects, then we all go sit down on my bench, get shoes on (3 toddlers and 2 preschoolers). Once every one is ready, we sing a few song/fingerplays until moms & dad's come (other family picks up at 4:45 as well).

Occasionally, if someone is running a few minutes late and songs have worn thin, we go outside and wait. I help mom of 4 load her bunch.

I usually tt mom of 4 once the kids are buckled into the car, and she steps out. Too hard to communicate ANYTHING with the 4 of them acting like monkees!
Tags:lingering parents, pick up - conversations, pick up issues, pick up policy
Reply Up