Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Here We Go Again
tenderhearts 04:27 PM 01-02-2013
Being the first day back today, my "problem" child at drop offs and pickups (mostly pickups) was HORRIBLE at pickup. Mom was a little earlier than she said, I had his shoes on thank goodness but the coat was a chore. He screamed, cried, tried pulling away from me wanting to run back into the daycare room trying to open the door. It was terrible. Mom didn't really help I think because she said he's been like this a lot lately and she looked exhausted (not an excuse but I think she was needing me to do it). I sure hope he stops this behaviour, it's nice to know he doesn't want to leave but he needs to learn how to act. I know he's only 2 but I'm at my wits end with him at the pick ups. He was getting better before the 2 week vacation so I'm hoping that maybe he isn't feeling well ( he's going to the doctor today that's why he was picked up early).
It's frustrating.
cheerfuldom 08:15 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Being the first day back today, my "problem" child at drop offs and pickups (mostly pickups) was HORRIBLE at pickup. Mom was a little earlier than she said, I had his shoes on thank goodness but the coat was a chore. He screamed, cried, tried pulling away from me wanting to run back into the daycare room trying to open the door. It was terrible. Mom didn't really help I think because she said he's been like this a lot lately and she looked exhausted (not an excuse but I think she was needing me to do it). I sure hope he stops this behaviour, it's nice to know he doesn't want to leave but he needs to learn how to act. I know he's only 2 but I'm at my wits end with him at the pick ups. He was getting better before the 2 week vacation so I'm hoping that maybe he isn't feeling well ( he's going to the doctor today that's why he was picked up early).
It's frustrating.
yeah that definitely sounds frustrating. honestly, it might have been better just to get him out the door without the coat. he is just walking a few feet to the car right? sometimes you just have to pick your battles. while I have never had anyone this crazy at pickups, if I did have one, I would just hand mom the coat and scoot them out the door. She can take him to the car without the coat or figure out on her own how to get the coat on out on my porch. Another option for you though is to make sure she always texts if her pickup time varies. its very important that you have him ready to go BEFORE mom comes in because obviously he freaks out in mom's presence. I would hope that she can cooperate with texting to make the transition easier for everyone. Try to meet her at the door and not leave any time where he is in the daycare room and lose to run wild.
tenderhearts 10:01 PM 01-02-2013
thanks, I actually have given her the coat in the past and even opened the front door to get them out but she insists on getting his coat on, and wont hold him, she'll let him go then I have to chase him, through my house. I hope it was a matter or readjusting even though we still have some issues but not as bad as todays.
daycarediva 10:36 AM 01-03-2013
I had a dcb like that at 2, by the time he was 4 I wanted to hide at pickup times. I eventually had to tell his Mom to call when outside, and we exchanged dcb on the porch. She never entered my home to pick up, and only briefly to drop off. He started to act up outside even because the Mom wouldn't/couldn't control him. He would run down the road, throw his booster seat out of the car, he even sprayed her with the hose once. I had to let them go because other parents were appalled & I was afraid I would lose business.

During dc hours, that child was a GEM though. Soooo different how he behaved towards his mother.
lilcupcakes09 11:35 AM 01-03-2013
Just posted a thread on one I have like this last week. He is horrible at pick up and perfectly fine throughout the day until Mom arrives. Last Friday I had decided I was going to put my foot down, I would not allow my own child to act like that EVER. So Monday, Tuesday, Weds I have been very stern with him, even with Mom standing by me, because she has no control over him. I can ask him every afternoon what I expect him to do when Mom comes and he knows.....it hasn't been perfect but pick ups has been alot easier, still have some things to work on though.
allsmiles 12:01 PM 01-03-2013
i have a 2 yr old and the parents are SOOOOOOOOOO weak at pick up.. i feel like stepping in but it doesnt seem like they like ppl to be stern with him so i leave it for when they leave
maybe they would appreciate a little tough love toward him, but i dont get that vibe yunno, so i just let them handle him.. this past friday TOOK THE CAKE!!!!!! dcd came to pick him up and he "didnt wanna go" dcd said he didnt want to pick him up because he would start hollering and kicking, wouldnt take him without the coat cuz he said "its too cold" so guess what he did??
CALLED DCM, who is actually more passive than he!! are you freaking kidding me.. sat there a good 15 minutes begging and pleading and waiting on her.. he was the last child, everybody else was GONE.. and i close at 630!
yall she came and didnt have any luck.. finally they just pretended to leave him and even that took a minute to work.. i just cant believe these parents allowed him to do this to them..
providerandmomof4 04:27 PM 01-03-2013
Sounds just like my 2 yr dcb. Some days are worse that others. Last Friday, I practically pushed them all (I watch his older brother too) out the door. I had him all ready and it was Friday...I was spent! Dcm looked at me kind of hurt and said, "Well, how did it go today?" and stood there looking like she wanted to talk. Ummm, no. Not today. Everything was good. I wrote you some notes on his daily update. Thanks...bye guys! And that was that
Tags:pick up behavior
Reply Up