Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bus Stop Dilema
Country Kids 12:57 PM 10-02-2012
There was a situation at the bus stop where a parent(from the bus stop) had to come and talk to me about behavior from a child. We talked, I then talked to parent of child and let them know what I would be doing.

So, here is my question now-Should I have just had the bus stop parent call the childs parent and talk to them. Here's why I ask-all SA parents have to sign a release form that I am no longer responsiable for their child once they leave my property to go to school. Gives the times/location of stop/school name. Once that child leaves am I responsible for behavior at the stop or not.

I was livid as the whole bus stop knows I run a child care. This parent then tells me there were issues last year also and no one said a thing. That upset me-. If there were why wasn't something said. I personally knew of some and they were corrected but these were things I had never heard of.

Anyway, should I let parents know if I get complaints from parents at the bus stop they will be given the childs parents number to call.
daycare 01:09 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
There was a situation at the bus stop where a parent(from the bus stop) had to come and talk to me about behavior from a child. We talked, I then talked to parent of child and let them know what I would be doing.

So, here is my question now-Should I have just had the bus stop parent call the childs parent and talk to them. Here's why I ask-all SA parents have to sign a release form that I am no longer responsiable for their child once they leave my property to go to school. Gives the times/location of stop/school name. Once that child leaves am I responsible for behavior at the stop or not.

I was livid as the whole bus stop knows I run a child care. This parent then tells me there were issues last year also and no one said a thing. That upset me-. If there were why wasn't something said. I personally knew of some and they were corrected but these were things I had never heard of.

Anyway, should I let parents know if I get complaints from parents at the bus stop they will be given the childs parents number to call.
so do you have to stay with them at the bus stop as well? is the issue when he gets on the bus or at the bus stop?
Country Kids 01:14 PM 10-02-2012
No, I do not go to the bus stop with them. Its literally right across the street but we start preschool right as they are leaving, so that is another reason I don't go.

The issue is at the bus stop while they are waiting.
daycare 01:16 PM 10-02-2012
No, I do not go to the bus stop with them. Its literally right across the street but we start preschool right as they are leaving, so that is another reason I don't go.

The issue is at the bus stop while they are waiting.
so then it is not your issue, it is that of the parents. If your contract says that you are not responsible for them once they leave your property then it becomes the parents issue and I would be letting the parent at the bus stop know this and ask for her number so you can give it to DCB parents.

I just might also ask that parent to call the school and tell the school that DCB is causing issues. They will call his parents.
Solandia 01:18 PM 10-02-2012
Personally, I would consider it your responsibility. I generally don't "do" school agers for a variety of reasons, this being one. That said, I do have couple school agers that go on different busses...one of the stops is not in my line of sight.

So...my solution to your situation is to either have the parent of the problem child must supervise the bus stop for a minimium of one full week (hey, it is my rule!). Alternatively, the parent can make arrangements for someone else to supervise or you could charge them extra to supervise their little precious at the bus stop for that time period. OR they could find another daycare that provides transportation to/from school. Then have a set of consequences for repeat behavior issues, for both the child and the parent.

I had to supervise kindie bus stop last year (total PIA!), and every single day we talked about being good neighbors, good friends,a nd appropriate language/play. EVERY DAY. And there were still times when I had to put the little buggers in time out. On the sidewalk. I would do that to my middle school kids, too....my own or the daycare...if they were not being appropriate at the bus stop. The daycare parents will pay for that "service", however. The actual bus ride issues go directly to the parents...that happened last year a few times, too.
sharlan 01:56 PM 10-02-2012
In other words, these kids have absolutely no supervision for 30 mins a day while they're waiting for the bus?

As a parent, I wouldn't allow that. As a provider, I'd be too afraid to. I have always walked or driven my SA's to school. (Call me paranoid.)

I would have taken the other parent's number and provided it to the daycare parent. If wasn't going to be there to supervise, I would stay out of it. I don't get in between parents and their children.
Country Kids 02:14 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
In other words, these kids have absolutely no supervision for 30 mins a day while they're waiting for the bus?

As a parent, I wouldn't allow that. As a provider, I'd be too afraid to. I have always walked or driven my SA's to school. (Call me paranoid.)

I would have taken the other parent's number and provided it to the daycare parent. If wasn't going to be there to supervise, I would stay out of it. I don't get in between parents and their children.
What do you mean by 30 minutes a day at the bus stop?
rhymia1 02:19 PM 10-02-2012

I am in a similar situation as you. I made it clear to the parents that I can not supervise the children at the stop and the only thing I would be responsible for is making sure they leave here to get to the bus stop on time. They have signed a waiver acknowledging this.
I believe there has to be a level of trust with school aged kids - in our town many of them walk to school by themselves (and in fact my group will probably be among them next year due to cuts). If I were in your shoes (getting complaints about the kids behavior) I would probably talk to the parents to come up with an alternate arrangement.
Another option is to direct the person with the complaint to call the school number. In our state bus stop/bus issues are their jurisdiction. A visit to the principal may get your group to see the light.
rhymia1 02:21 PM 10-02-2012

Not the OP but in my case the parents are aware and have signed off on it. Many have commented that their children are more closely supervised at my house than at school...
sharlan 02:44 PM 10-02-2012
What do you mean by 30 minutes a day at the bus stop?
How long is it from the time they walk out your front door until the bus picks them up? I am assuming that the bus isn't sitting there waiting for them. Then you have the amount of time from the time the bus drops them off until they walk back through your front door.

Why would you be "livid as the whole bus stop knows I run a child care"?

I am a bit paranoid about the kids not being supervised. A friend's 10 yo daughter was grabbed while walking to school one day. She got away and ran straight into the nearest house. Fortunately someone was home and called the police.
Country Kids 02:56 PM 10-02-2012
It takes less then 30 sec(probably more like 15) to get to the bus stop. It right across the street from my house in a residental neighborhood. The bus takes up most of the street coming down it-thats how narrow the street is.

There are like 4 parents at the bus stop every morning (two of them live two houses down from me).

I was mad as I expect the kids to show absolute best behavior and represent my childcare well.
countrymom 03:13 PM 10-02-2012
hmm, can you start your program a few minutes later. I have a large group that take a bus infront of my house and once they are all on then we eat and start our day. i make sure first that everyone is on the bus and they behave.
sharlan 03:25 PM 10-02-2012
It takes less then 30 sec(probably more like 15) to get to the bus stop. It right across the street from my house in a residental neighborhood. The bus takes up most of the street coming down it-thats how narrow the street is.

There are like 4 parents at the bus stop every morning (two of them live two houses down from me).
I was mad as I expect the kids to show absolute best behavior and represent my childcare well.
But it is not their responsibility to supervise other people's kids.

Would it be possible for you to hold off on your preschool program 30 secs until the kids are on the bus? You can always watch the kids get on the bus from a front window. This child knows that the mothers at the bus stop have no authority over him/her. (Kids learn that one very quickly.)

I am not trying to tell you how to run your business, just offering a simple solution.
Country Kids 03:30 PM 10-02-2012
But it is not their responsibility to supervise other people's kids.

Would it be possible for you to hold off on your preschool program 30 secs until the kids are on the bus? You can always watch the kids get on the bus from a front window. This child knows that the mothers at the bus stop have no authority over him/her. (Kids learn that one very quickly.)

I am not trying to tell you how to run your business, just offering a simple solution.
OH, I know they aren't responsible for my kids. I was just saying I feel save with them walking across the street as there are other adults there safety wise.

I have decided that the culprit can sit on my porch and wait for the bus. I will leave the door open so I can see them and once the bus is here they can head across.

I guess I was really just wondering if I'm responsible for behavior or not once child leaves my property?
sharlan 03:34 PM 10-02-2012
IMHO, and please take it for what it's worth, you are responsible until you hand that child off to another adult, i.e. the bus driver.
daycare 03:42 PM 10-02-2012
I would say that I don't think that you should have to be at the bus stop, but if this child cannot behave himself, then he needs to have an adult there to supervise him.

I remember when my son was little he rode the bus to school and it was right in front of this crabby old mans house. Well the kids would go in his yard, play with his newspaper and so on. Eventually the old man called the school and complained. The school called me and told me that I needed to come and sit with my child at the bus stop until the behavior is resolved.

BUT I could not miss work to be there at the bus stop with my child. So I sent my neighbor who was a good friend and he lost the privilege of being at the bus stop without having someone there to control him.

Then my neighbor tells me, well it's not your kid, it's two other kids and your son is taking the blame for it.

It went on for some time before they ended up moving the bus stop. I am sure the old man kept complaining.

I do think that children should know how to behave at the bus stop and if it is right out front of your house, then NO they don't need you to be there. There are 60 kids to 3 adults during recess time, yet recess always goes over each day without too many issues. BUT again like I said before, if this child cant behave, I would be out there making sure he did,

YOu don't want your daycare to be known as the one with the out of control kid
DBug 03:45 PM 10-02-2012
I have decided that the culprit can sit on my porch and wait for the bus. I will leave the door open so I can see them and once the bus is here they can head across.
That's a great solution!

I do bus runs, and personally I would never take a child that I wasn't able to supervise up until they step onto the bus.

I'd be worried about exactly what you were mentioning -- they're representing your childcare! Some of my best advertising is by word of mouth, but if one of my kids were acting up like that? It could be really bad for business, kwim?

If waiting on the porch doesn't work, and it's not possible to accompany the SAs at the bus stop, I would tell the parents that they need to make other arrangements.
Soccermom 05:52 PM 10-02-2012
This is exactly why I decided to go with all SA or all littles because the bus thing complicates things.

My rule is that K-2 I wait a the bus with them and pick up off the bus too. Grades 3 and up I will watch out the window with windows cracked open so I can hear what is going on. I don't leave the window until I see every child get onto the bus. I will also pick up Grades 3 and up if the bus drops on the opposite side of the road and DCKs need to cross. For the last 2 years, the bus drops off and picks up on our same side of the street which is nice.

A few times last year I had to spend a few days at the bus stop in the am even though I had all Grade 3 and up because of kids acting up.

I can't imagine getting a call that a child didn't make it to school...paperwork or not, I would be so devastated.

I hesitated to add this because it is so sad but have edited it in because it should be shared :

When I was 11 years old, our school bus ran over a 6 yo Girl who had to cross in front of the bus to her babysitter's house. DP didn't physically come to the bus and get her...if she had, DCG would never have ran in front of the bus after the bus started rolling. DCG survived but was paralyzed from the accident. That event has stayed with me all my life
Reply Up