Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Learning to be Selfish/What Was I Thinking?!
GretasLittleFriends 08:15 AM 05-15-2010
I was going to drag up the maternity leave thread but decided against it. Word of advice to any pregnant women out there. Take as LONG as you can after you have the baby. I was naive and didn't. I'm now starting to regret it!

I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on 4/28. She was born about a few days early, so she was considered full term. I planned on reopening my dc 5/10 depending on how she and I felt. I bounced back pretty quickly, though adjusting to all night feedings is something I had forgotten about. Next youngest is 5 1/2 yrs old.

Anyway, I felt great she was doing great and decided to reopen. I had previously made it VERY clear to dc parents that the reopen date is subject to change. All understood very well. I did miss the dc kids though. I only took two weeks off altogether.

Monday rolls around, no major problems until one. I have a family that I have had communication issues with in the past. Well dc boy is 6 almost 7 months old. Grandma dropped him off, said he was feeling under the weather over the weekend, but is on antibiotics now. Well, he saw dr Monday morning and started the antibiotics just before he showed up to my house. He screamed the whole 2.5 hours he was here, his fever came back, he was coughing and hacking (sounds like pneumonia or lung cancer or something horrendous). I, of course called his mom, and she left school to come get him. He couldn't eat a bottle because he was too stuffy. I kept my newborn in our bedroom as she was sleeping anyway, but didn't want her near his germs. He stayed home Tuesday, then wasn't scheduled again until yesterday. He's still raspy, but looks much better. No fever either.

Yesterday she started sneezing with gunk coming out her nose, and had a slight fever for a little while. I did call dr to determine what to do. My other two never got sick so young. I spoke with nurse, gave her the dc kid's name, as small town almost all kids go to same dr. She looked at his record and said she wondered why he was on antibiotics, chart says he has a virus. She had dr call me back. Did you know newborns can get viruses? She'll be fine, it's just frustrating.

I don't want to generalize, but man can DC Parents/grandparents be inconsiderate jerks!!! So my word of wisdom (learned the hard way) is stay closed as long as you can!!! Be selfish and think only of yourself and your family. Nobody else will.

The up side is this family is moving soon, in about 3 weeks.
booroo 09:11 AM 05-15-2010
Oh how terrible!! I wish people would use their heads just a littlemore!! Get the bogged sucker going, nurse her alot and even get those little nose drops!! Run a cool mister if you have one !! Good luck I'll be praying!!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:14 AM 05-15-2010
That is so sad...you are right, some parents don't ever care of anyone except what is conveinent for them. I hope your little girl recovers quickly. And yes, you do have to find your tough side in this business..I learned the hard way too.
Daycare Mommy 09:41 AM 05-15-2010
How unbelievably inconsiderate! Honestly, I'd call that family and tell them you are closing again and extending your maternity leave until 3 weeks from Monday. Then I'd write a letter for the other families that the illness policy is going to be under STRICT adherence due to the newborn in the home. This is such common sense you'd think that you wouldn't have to tell anyone this, but some people... Depending on what your illness policy is it may need some things added and to it. And for it to mean anything you'll have to turn away any coughs or sniffles at the door. Most newborns get at least 6 weeks before being exposed to a daycare environment, so I'd do it at least that long. I ended up closing my daycare for about a year for each child. I tried to work like you are (only took off 2 weeks too), but I ended up closing each time. Unappreciative parents didn't recognize that I was bending over backwards to make sure their schedules weren't upset and they just complain about the lack of activities my first week back and bring sick kids. I ended up closing for a year each of my kids. Good luck with this and I hope your daughter is well again very soon.
missnikki 12:15 PM 05-15-2010
be careful to not mention that the nurse told you it was a virus. keep that tidbit to yourself- doctor/ patient confidentiality and all.
originalkat 03:23 PM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
be careful to not mention that the nurse told you it was a virus. keep that tidbit to yourself- doctor/ patient confidentiality and all.
Yes I was thinking the same thing. That could be very bad. I can't believe she gave out that info.

But that is very good advice Gretta. I didnt think about your sweet new baby and being exposed to all the daycare germs!! AHHHH. I hate to even imagine.
GretasLittleFriends 03:25 PM 05-15-2010
Baby girl is doing ok. Her fever is gone, it was very mild to begin with. Her runny nose is mostly subsided. She'll be fine. I was just frustrated and wanted to share with all of you the lesson I learned the hard way, hoping that nobody else will have to go through it.

I have had other issues with this kid's family. #1 being lack of communication. I was upset enough to strongly consider terminating on the spot but the child's last day is coming up shortly. The child's mother was very upset that the child's grandmother dropped the child off that day, again, there is a sign of lack of communication.

My sick policy reads:
The Health Department regulations prohibit the admittance of any child into a family childcare home that exhibits any of the following symptoms:The child may return when the incubation and contagious period is passed and the child is well enough to resume normal child care activities. I also require that a child's parent notify me within 24 hours of the diagnosis of a serious contagious illness or parasitic infestation.

Masking your child's symptoms with over-the-counter medications and bringing them to care anyway is not allowed and could be cause for immediate termination. It is also inconsiderate to all families involved. A sick child should be allowed to recuperate fully at home after an illness so that the other children and the provider do not risk unnecessary exposure. If you are unable to stay home with your sick child it will be necessary for you to make arrangements at your own expense. If your child is out ill regular fees still apply. Your child may be brought to care if they have a common cold (which means a slight cough, clear runny nose, sneezing); however I will call you if your child is just plain miserable (whining, crying, repeatedly asking for you). Your child should not attend if they are not feeling well enough to participate in our daily activities (i.e. a child wanting to sleep all day, lay on the couch and watch TV etc.) It is not fair to the other families, including mine, to have sick children in daycare.
jen 07:41 PM 05-15-2010
Agh! Sorry...not the kind of experience you want those first few weeks. I"m glad she's doing better.
Daycare Mommy 07:23 AM 05-16-2010
Your illness policy looks good. The only other thing mine has is that sneezing and/or coughing in a mild cold (clear nasal discharge) must be treated effectively in order to stay in daycare. If the medicine can't suppress the symptoms it's home time. I'd print it out and post it along with a few lines about it being strictly enforced for X amount of time due to the newborn in the home and give one to each parent (and grandma!) then post a copy by the entrance / sign in sheet as well. So when they go, "But I didn't know [a green runny nose] wasn't okay," you can just point to the sign. VERY glad to hear your littlest one is doing better too. Thank God for that!
momma2girls 08:17 AM 05-16-2010
CONgrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HeatherB 10:29 AM 05-16-2010
I would immediatly terminate this family..if they are leaving in 3 weeks anyhow...good riddens. Send home a newsletter stating your illness policy and how they will be strictly enforced since you have a newborn in the house. Take care of your prescious little one first and for most.
Unregistered 06:21 AM 05-25-2010
Children can not be in a daycare setting untill 6 weeks old even your own as their immune system arent built up yet you could of used that as an excuse it is the law also but I dont know if it pretains to your own children in your own buisness. I took 10 weeks with my 3rd I had 1 week off then she was born so I had 9 weeks with her and no other kids besides my own I enjoyed it SO much.
Chickenhauler 08:52 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Children can not be in a daycare setting untill 6 weeks old even your own as their immune system arent built up yet you could of used that as an excuse it is the law also but I dont know if it pretains to your own children in your own buisness. I took 10 weeks with my 3rd I had 1 week off then she was born so I had 9 weeks with her and no other kids besides my own I enjoyed it SO much.
Every state has different laws. Not all 50 states have the same laws.

MN law allows for newborn children (under 6 weeks) to be placed in a daycare.
QualiTcare 09:15 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Every state has different laws. Not all 50 states have the same laws.

MN law allows for newborn children (under 6 weeks) to be placed in a daycare.
good to know. i was honestly wondering the same thing - about a 2 week old being in daycare because of their immune system.

i know states have different laws, but i thought 6 weeks was pretty universal.
Chickenhauler 10:03 PM 05-25-2010
According to this, a childs immune system isn't full strength until 6 months, and goes through a low period around 2-3 months.

http://www.wellness.com/reference/al...immune-system/
QualiTcare 10:16 PM 05-25-2010
i don't doubt that, chicken man....

but newborns are extra prone to...everything.

i was just sayin - i thought 6 weeks was the standard. now i know it's not. no big deal.
Daycare Mommy 04:29 AM 05-26-2010
I didn't start relaxing until my kids were a year old.. They are just so little and vulnerable before then and the daycare parents just didn't give a damn. Grrr!
Tags:antibiotics, illness, maternity leave, pregnant
Reply Up