Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeding a Lot of Kids...What Ddo You Serve?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:44 AM 05-17-2010
I have not been doing menus because during the school year I only have my 4 year old and my almost 2 year old nephew at lunchtime...my other daycare boy arrives after lunch.

This summer I am feeding a lot of kids...I have my own 4 and I will have a total of 9-11 kids (depending on the day). That food bill will add up...so I'm starting to make a list of lunch and snack foods that I can serve that won't break the bank. I will use my idea list to make menus, going by what is on sale for the week.

If any of you can jot down some things you serve or have thrity ideas, I would love to hear them so I can add to my list. I would love to hear any creative snack ideas also, usually I just go with something pre-packaged or carrot sticks/apples...I'm sure I'm missing some great ideas. Thanks.
originalkat 06:22 AM 05-17-2010
I keep it pretty simple and kid friendly. Here are some I could think of off the top of my head.

Lunch-
Sandwiches (1-2 times per week rotating PB &J, ham, turkey, grilled cheese)
Mac and Cheese
Corn Dogs
Chicken Nuggets
Fish Sticks
BBQ Meatballs
Pasta w/ meat sauce
Little Smokies
Pizza
quesadillas
burritos
taco salad
chicken Taquitos

Snacks-
PB crackers
pretzels/Raisins
Dried Fruit
Trail Mix
Goldfish Crackers
Cookie (2x per week)
booroo 06:23 AM 05-17-2010
Cassaroles work great as well as spegitti, I have alot of stuff that use from custom cutting!! Sandwitches like grilled cheese add a fruit a veg a cottage cheese.
Snacks
I have a muffin mix that I make, ants on a log(celery with peanut butter and raisin on top or chocalote chips), cookies, grahm crackers with frosting or peanut butter, cheese sticks, popcorn, bananas on stick with peanut butter melted and add honey spread on banana and top with granola, popcicles.

Good luck!!
HeatherB 08:38 AM 05-17-2010
Make sure you serve veggies and fruit to also fill them up quicker!
emosks 10:31 AM 05-17-2010
Favorites here are
Tator Tot Casserole (you get the protein and 1 veggie in it!),
pasta w/tomato sauce (grain and 1 veggie),
HM mac n cheese,
grilled cheese and tomato soup (grain, protein, and veggie!),
tacos (proteins, grain, and veggie)
chicken quesadilla (protein, grain)
Sloppy Joe (protein, grain)
PB&J (protein, grain) -- only on days our allergy kid isn't here though!

During the summer we have pretty much fresh fruits and vegetables to fill the kids up on.

We usually have 10-12 kids for lunch.
Former Teacher 07:36 PM 05-17-2010
Oh there are lots of ideas! Like Booroo said..casseroles are great. Here are somethings we served at my former center:

tuna noodle casserole
frito pie
chili mac
shepards pie
rice and meat mixed together

Plus the usual kid friendly foods. For a cooking project for the little boy I watch, we make Pizza Men! Take a slice of a hamburger bun and spread some pizza sauce. Add eyes (black olives) nose and ears (little circle pepperonis), mouth/beard (carrots sliced very thin and cheese). Put it in a convection oven on high for about 6-9 mins and voila!
Tags:food menu
Reply Up