Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying/Gasping in Sleep--Periodic Breathing?
Pestle 10:22 AM 08-02-2019
Got a brand-new infant, just turning 6mos now, is rolling and getting ready to crawl. It's their second day so they're not pleased. Lots of screaming yesterday, more today. Napped for 20 minutes yesterday, after long screams, and made hiccupy gasps every four or five seconds the entire 20 minutes they slept. Same is happening today. Sounds like the noises big kids make after a good sobbing fit. Baby is in Pack 'n' Play with tightly fitted sheet, no loose objects in crib, has rolled onto tummy.

I'll ask the parent at pick up if this happens at home. Anybody else have an infant who does this?
Cat Herder 10:29 AM 08-02-2019
How is his skin color? Is he producing plenty of tears? Was he crying pretty hard before going to sleep?
Pestle 10:31 AM 08-02-2019
Skin color is good, breathing and snotty nose were normal for crying baby before falling asleep. Yes, full-on hysteria for a good 10 minutes before falling asleep. Doesn't want to be held by me when upset, which is understandable for day 2 away from Mom. I'm definitely the villain in this story!

We're on the second nap of the day with this same thing, which makes 3 out of 3 naps like this.
Cat Herder 10:35 AM 08-02-2019
I would not worry too much then. Double breathing to level out hyperventilation is pretty common.

If it keeps happening when he does not cry anymore, then maybe having an asthma test could not hurt.
Pestle 10:40 AM 08-02-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would not worry too much then. Double breathing to level out hyperventilation is pretty common.

If it keeps happening when he does not cry anymore, then maybe having an asthma test could not hurt.
Thank you! This is what I come here for.
Cat Herder 10:41 AM 08-02-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Thank you! This is what I come here for.
You picked a good day. I literally have all the Pediatric Advanced Life Support updates in front of me studying for my recert this weekend.
Pestle 11:02 AM 08-02-2019
If you ever retire but want to pick up a few bucks, you should start a charge-by-the-minute daycare hotline. Like Miss Cleo, but for standard practices and developmental milestones. "I'm getting . . . something to do with the mouth. He's biting. No? He's . . . blowing raspberries on you. No? Check him for a tongue tie. Okay, maybe it's not the mouth. Hands. He's a Cancer, right? You need to work on pincer grip activities."
Cat Herder 11:04 AM 08-02-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
If you ever retire but want to pick up a few bucks, you should start a charge-by-the-minute daycare hotline. Like Miss Cleo, but for standard practices and developmental milestones. "I'm getting . . . something to do with the mouth. He's biting. No? He's . . . blowing raspberries on you. No? Check him for a tongue tie. Okay, maybe it's not the mouth. Hands. He's a Cancer, right? You need to work on pincer grip activities."
Anything to procrastinate studying.
Tags:crying in sleep
Reply Up