Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Bringing Lunch
kendallina 01:07 PM 03-26-2012
I run a 3-hour a day preschool in my home. After talking with several of the parents, they are interested in a longer preschool (5 hours) for next year when their kiddos are pre-kindergartners. This sounds great to me, but I need a little help in how to do lunches. I am going to have the parents provide their children's lunches and I need to know what kinds of guidelines I should have for these families.

Here's what I'm thinking:

I will provide milk, unless the parent wants something else, they can provide it.

I do not have space in my refrigerator for 5 lunchboxes. So, I think I need to require that if their lunch needs to stay cold they have to have ones of those lunchboxes with an ice pack---will this really keep it cold enough until noon? Or should I just get a mini-fridge?

Do parents send things that need to be heated? Can I require that they send things that don't have to be reheated?

I'm not even sure that I know of other pitfalls to avoid with this, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much!!
Blackcat31 01:12 PM 03-26-2012
If it were up to me, I would NOT do any type of heating.....tooo difficult and there is the possibilities of the food being too hot, burns etc, etc..... (because I am assuming you would need to use microwave, otherwise why not just cook yourself...kwim?)

I know that in regular school, kids' lunches stay cold with an ice pack so I would think your situation is the same.

I would send a note home with parents about the food groups and healthy eating and that part of the preschool curriculum is eating healthy foods/snacks and then ask the parents to abide by these rules (something from all the food groups, healthy components etc)

I would even go so far as to include a list if ideas and suggestions if they aren't sure. Then continue adding to this list as you discover new ideas.
Bella99 01:25 PM 03-26-2012
I like warm lunches, but that's just me. I'd offer to heat up their lunches in either the oven or micro.
To be quite honest, unless there's things that NEED to be in the fridge (eggs, tuna, cheese) i'd keep them on the counter. Fridge space is precious for me, and I have it all organized to a T, so unless it needs to go in there, it's staying out.

TV dinners i'd obviously keep in the freezer, along with other freezer meals. But I also have an extra freezer so that's not AS precious to me.
BigMama 01:44 PM 03-26-2012
I would be VERY VERY specific about this. I think it is so much easier to provide lunches than to have parents send them in. Here are some things you may want think about and address:
-parents sending things that must be refrigerated (some will do this even if you say not to)
-parents sending things that must be heated (some will do this too)
-parents forgetting to send a lunch (you must have an agreement about what you will provide in those situations and if and how much the parent will be charged)
-allergies (children bringing items others are allergic to)
-children bringing "junk foods" and candy
-children wanting what others have
-children not bringing enough food
-children needing utensils for items in their lunch (spoons for yogurt, etc.)
Bella99 01:46 PM 03-26-2012
Yeah after reading this, i'd think also that it may be easier to provide lunch and add that cost to your cost now.

Originally Posted by BigMama:
I would be VERY VERY specific about this. I think it is so much easier to provide lunches than to have parents send them in. Here are some things you may want think about and address:
-parents sending things that must be refrigerated (some will do this even if you say not to)
-parents sending things that must be heated (some will do this too)
-parents forgetting to send a lunch (you must have an agreement about what you will provide in those situations and if and how much the parent will be charged)
-allergies (children bringing items others are allergic to)
-children bringing "junk foods" and candy
-children wanting what others have
-children not bringing enough food
-children needing utensils for items in their lunch (spoons for yogurt, etc.)

nannyde 04:26 PM 03-26-2012
You may have parents sending stuff that has to be made. Be prepared for a box of macaroni and cheese and a parent saying that's what Billy eats for lunch or wants for lunch.
saved4always 04:35 PM 03-26-2012
I have done both ways and it is much easier to just provide lunch and charge a little more if you need to to cover it. All the kids eat the same things so they don't beg for what their friend has. I also liked to have control of what was served and how much prep I needed to do.
kendallina 05:18 PM 03-26-2012
Thank you so much for responses so far. I will not provide lunch, so I need to find a way to make it work with the parents providing it.

Fortunately, I have really great parents that almost always follow the rules, so I'm not worried about them breaking rules, I'm more concerned with setting expectations, so I don't have to change rules mid-year.

Blackcat, you're absolutely right about school lunches staying cold with ice packs, etc, so I think I'll be okay there. I strongly prefer to not heat things up, so I'll probably just tell parents not to send something that needs to be heated.

Most of my parents eat healthier than my family does (and we eat pretty healthy), so I'm not too worried about having too much junk food or anything, but I didn't really think of the candy thing or dessert-thing. I'll make it clear that dessert has no place in preschool and will be sent home .

Food allergies I have covered. I have a girl with an egg allergy, and she knows it and is fine with it (wouldn't ever take anything off anyone's plate). My daughter has a milk allergy, but she's really good about it too.

Bella...you mentioned what happens if they forget the lunch. Great point. I'll have to make sure that I have a back up plan.

Thanks!!
kendallina 05:19 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
You may have parents sending stuff that has to be made. Be prepared for a box of macaroni and cheese and a parent saying that's what Billy eats for lunch or wants for lunch.
Those parents will need to go home and get an appropriate lunch. Like I said, I have rule-following parents, so I'm not worried about that.

Now...forgetting a lunch, I could see that happening, so I'll need to have a plan in place for that.
SilverSabre25 05:23 PM 03-26-2012
if a child forgets their lunch I would be prepared to offer, say, a PB&J, apple/orange/banana, and carrot sticks, at a cost of $2.
MyAngels 08:12 PM 03-26-2012
Didn't they do a study not too long ago about how lunches reached unsafe temperatures in spite of cold packs being included? I think I'd get a cooler or something like that to place by the door so that they'd stay as cool as possible until lunch time.
Bella99 09:01 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Didn't they do a study not too long ago about how lunches reached unsafe temperatures in spite of cold packs being included? I think I'd get a cooler or something like that to place by the door so that they'd stay as cool as possible until lunch time.
But there's not much foods that are 'unsafe' if they're not cold. Other then what I said above, I mean. Those things alone wouldn't take up much fridge room, if she had to.

OR!!!

You can ask the parents to bring a multi-pack of juice/drink for their kids, and a box of snack (i.e bear paw, granola bar) and just bring the main meal every day. That way, if they forget the lunch part, you have their drink/snack already and just need to make a quick sammy, or cut some cheese & crackers.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 03-27-2012
They may have, but in all honesty I had cold lunches packed my entire school age years as did my kids and we all survived.

Perhaps the bacteria that was created during that process was good for us?

I don't know, but I do know that kids have been taking cold lunches to school for generations and I don't recall any sort of illness or disease epidemic that has been blamed on cold lunches.

Plus I think Kendallina said her kids are only there for 5 hours and I am thinking they are going to be eating in the middle of those 5 hours so she has time on her side
familyschoolcare 07:08 AM 03-27-2012
like others have said that may or may not be true. I do not pay much attention to that because I pack my children food that does not need to be

cold. A sandwich with processed meat (is fine untill lunch not good the next day) a piece of fruit (at home is stored on the counter) a breakfast bar or some crackers (stored on the self at home) and water.
Springdaze 08:28 AM 03-27-2012
My dcks bring their lunches and I out what needs to be cold in a mini fridge and other things on a shelf. What I want to know is...how did you swing enough kids who want short "preschool" days to pay off?! I would love to do that! Then I wouldnt be looking for a job!
Nellie 09:08 AM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
LOL. If it didn't happen to me, I wouldn't ever think of any one doing it. I provide meals, but one time I had a parent on the child's first day send a box of Mac and Cheese, 1/2 a stick of butter, and 2 inches of milk in a gallon container.
renodeb 09:12 AM 03-27-2012
I tend to agree with others, I think it will be easier to provide lunch, just make sure your tuition covers it. I think there are to many pitfalls other wise. Most likely parents are going to pack what is quick/easy and it may not be within your guidlines.
Debbie
kendallina 09:24 AM 03-27-2012
Ok, maybe I should do more research about ice packs...I'll try to find that study.
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Ok, maybe I should do more research about ice packs...I'll try to find that study.
Here is some good info on that: http://blog.chron.com/momhouston/201...-temperatures/
kendallina 09:28 AM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
My dcks bring their lunches and I out what needs to be cold in a mini fridge and other things on a shelf. What I want to know is...how did you swing enough kids who want short "preschool" days to pay off?! I would love to do that! Then I wouldnt be looking for a job!
Oh that's a good idea. So do you have parents make sure they label each baggie/container with the child's name? That might work....

Most of my families have either a stay at home mom (or dad) or a grandma that provides the child care, so they come pick up when the program is done. It's just like a regular 3-hour a day preschool, if the parents want it enough for their kids they'll make it work. I'm fortunate to live in a pretty well-off community that has a lot of stay at home parents who really want preschool for their kiddos .
kendallina 09:29 AM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by Nellie:
LOL. If it didn't happen to me, I wouldn't ever think of any one doing it. I provide meals, but one time I had a parent on the child's first day send a box of Mac and Cheese, 1/2 a stick of butter, and 2 inches of milk in a gallon container.
Lol...that's crazy! What are these parents thinking??
kendallina 09:32 AM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by renodeb:
I tend to agree with others, I think it will be easier to provide lunch, just make sure your tuition covers it. I think there are to many pitfalls other wise. Most likely parents are going to pack what is quick/easy and it may not be within your guidlines.
Debbie
If I was doing full-day care, I would do this. But, my day with the kids is short I don't think parents would pay for me to cook while their kids hang out in my livingroom. And, I really don't like to cook... .
kendallina 09:36 AM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is some good info on that: http://blog.chron.com/momhouston/201...-temperatures/
Thank you.

I'm not necessarily worried about the ice packs not keeping stuff cold 'enough', but I don't want it hanging over my head, either. Perhaps I will do as PP suggested and just take out the stuff that has to be cold and put it in a plastic box or something in my fridge.

This is all very helpful, thank you everyone!
kendallina 09:37 AM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
if a child forgets their lunch I would be prepared to offer, say, a PB&J, apple/orange/banana, and carrot sticks, at a cost of $2.
Yup, that sounds great, Silver. Thanks!
Hunni Bee 04:38 PM 03-27-2012
Will you have any guidelines about what should be in the lunch? I know that's probably not something to be interfering with, but it may affect how the kids behave if they will eat in the middle of the 5-hour day.

We provide 3 squares, but on the odd occasion we go on a long field trip and the kids need a packed lunch, we get quite a few parents who send crappy lunches (soda/koolaid, candy, a million junk snacks) and the kids get really hyper then they crash.

Maybe include that lunches should include a grain, a protein, a fruit/veggie and a non-junk snack (granola bar, fruit leather, etc.)?
SunshineMama 05:14 AM 03-28-2012
I really like Silver's suggestion of providing a forgotten lunch for $2.00. Make sure that youy put that in your contract somewhere, because it will happen at some point.

Just a thought-but what if each parent had their own day to bring lunches for the whole group? The responsibility will encourage better meal choices, and the parents only have to remember lunch for 1 day.

If you dont like that idea, mayne write them a letter explaining what they need to do:

Dear Parents,

I am so excited to be expanding our preschool program to include lunch! To make things easier on everyone, I have provided some general guidelines to follow:

Lunches need to be healthy and well rounded. A serving of a fruit and/or vegetable, a protein, and a carbohydrate make excellent choices.

Please be sure to pack a cold pack with your child's lunch if items need to be refrigerated, as I will not be able to accommodate everyone's lunchbox in my refrrigerator.

Please do not send foods that need to be reheated.

I have made a list of some common foods that kids enjoy:

PB&J
Hummus and Pita Bread Sandwiches
Cheese Sandwiches
Pretzels
Applesauce
String Cheese
Cut up fruit (Please remember to cut grapes, etc to prevent choking)
Baby Carrots
Yogurt (If you freeze a Gogurt squeeze it will stay fresh until lunchtime)

etc.... You could even go as far as to look up fun kids lunches on pinterest and compose a whole little booklet on fun healthy foods.
Crazy8 06:36 AM 03-28-2012
I have had my dck's bring their lunches for the last 11 years - never had an issue of anyone forgetting, or of kids wanting what others have, or of anyone bringing a BOX of mac n' cheese, etc. All these issues I always read about on here - I have never experienced a single one. Occassionally I'll get a parent who throws candy or something in the lunchbox and I just send it home in the lunch box.
I only have 5 kids - so they come in with lunchboxes and anything that needs to stay cold goes in the fridge, the rest goes in a basket on top of my microwave. I will heat up foods, but I do ask that foods come in "ready to eat" - like if you are sending leftover dinner or something it should be cut the way your child eats it. Anything not eaten gets sent home in the lunchbox. I do wash containers if I have time. I don't HAVE to, but if I can I will.
dEHmom 06:47 AM 03-28-2012
at school there is not fridge to store your lunch.

As long as the kids are eating their lunches at lunch time and not 4pm, there is no reason why you should worry about anything spoiling by sitting out.

My children's school doesn't have a microwave, so if I send something, it's room temperature for them by lunch time, and they eat it.

I have kids coming now that i have to heat their lunches. Some days one kid comes with a can of zoodles (often) and guess what? It goes in my cupboard, and I give her a good lunch. But mom is working 2 jobs, doesn't drive, and I realize she has NO time, and the rest of this kids lunch is good and healthy, so I don't say anything.
dEHmom 06:50 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Thank you.

I'm not necessarily worried about the ice packs not keeping stuff cold 'enough', but I don't want it hanging over my head, either. Perhaps I will do as PP suggested and just take out the stuff that has to be cold and put it in a plastic box or something in my fridge.

This is all very helpful, thank you everyone!
are you licensed? or unlicensed?

There is a lot of rules at least where I am, regarding using your fridge for daycare. So check out those rules if you need to. It might be worth your while to get a small bar fridge just for their lunches
kendallina 01:38 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
are you licensed? or unlicensed?

There is a lot of rules at least where I am, regarding using your fridge for daycare. So check out those rules if you need to. It might be worth your while to get a small bar fridge just for their lunches
I'm unlicensed (legally), so I don't have to worry about what licensing would say, although I do tend to follow most of their regs anyways (except with the bleach...I just can't stand it!).
Reply Up