Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Are You Doing This to Yourself?
Unregistered 11:00 AM 11-15-2016
I have always had low enrollment since opening but knew it sometimes take awhile when starting a business before you start to earn a profit. It seems when I'm right at that moment when I'm about to be full enrollment I take 3 steps back every time. Recently I signed on an infant temporarily and the same day signed on 2 dcgs part time, because of ratio,with the intentions of them going full time after the infant left. Then I would only have 1 spot left to fill which 2 of my part time families seemed interested in that 1 spot. It was issues from the beginning with this family so they didn't last long and as of right now the other two families want to remain part time right now. All of the inconsiderate/selfishness of that family really left a bad taste in my mouth on top of all the other things that comes along with the job. So I ended up back interviewing to fill spots and during one of the interviews me explaining to a mom on how if she wanted a guaranteed spot she would have to pay the full time rate other wise I would enroll her as drop in. She just wasn't getting why she would have to pay for a day she didn't need and on how I would be losing out on pay if I accommodated her request (this seems to be the norm in my area).After the interview I asked myself why am I doing this to myself? The long hours for bad pay along with a whole list of other things, the missing my own kids school ceremonies, parties, after school activities. For what? Yeah I've gotten close with my dck but it's not worth me missing out on my kids youth. I had a long talk with my husband and decided to close my daycare at the end of the year. I'll be giving my current families notice after Thanksgiving that way they'll have a month to find care for their kids. I want my house back and to take down all these damn gates! I want to thank you all for your words of encouragement and great advice!
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 11-15-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have always had low enrollment since opening but knew it sometimes take awhile when starting a business before you start to earn a profit. It seems when I'm right at that moment when I'm about to be full enrollment I take 3 steps back every time. Recently I signed on an infant temporarily and the same day signed on 2 dcgs part time, because of ratio,with the intentions of them going full time after the infant left. Then I would only have 1 spot left to fill which 2 of my part time families seemed interested in that 1 spot. It was issues from the beginning with this family so they didn't last long and as of right now the other two families want to remain part time right now. All of the inconsiderate/selfishness of that family really left a bad taste in my mouth on top of all the other things that comes along with the job. So I ended up back interviewing to fill spots and during one of the interviews me explaining to a mom on how if she wanted a guaranteed spot she would have to pay the full time rate other wise I would enroll her as drop in. She just wasn't getting why she would have to pay for a day she didn't need and on how I would be losing out on pay if I accommodated her request (this seems to be the norm in my area).After the interview I asked myself why am I doing this to myself? The long hours for bad pay along with a whole list of other things, the missing my own kids school ceremonies, parties, after school activities. For what? Yeah I've gotten close with my dck but it's not worth me missing out on my kids youth. I had a long talk with my husband and decided to close my daycare at the end of the year. I'll be giving my current families notice after Thanksgiving that way they'll have a month to find care for their kids. I want my house back and to take down all these damn gates! I want to thank you all for your words of encouragement and great advice!
I'm sorry things didn't work out for you.

But you have to do what's best for you and your family.

Good luck in your next adventure.
Ariana 01:37 PM 11-15-2016
It IS hard and only some of us make it. I have only been doing home care for 7 years and thank God every day that my husband makes enough for us to survive on without my income. The stress would kill me.

I think you are making the best choice for your sanity. Sometimes that means closing your doors and doing something else. Best of luck
Mike 03:23 PM 11-15-2016
In any kind of business, sometimes it's best to close the doors. A good business person is one who knows when to call it quits.
Gemma 03:43 PM 11-15-2016
Sorry
Play Care 05:48 AM 11-16-2016

I was so fortunate when I started out to have good kids and mostly good parents, because there is no way I could have been doing this for as long as I have if I hadn't.
Crazy8 12:01 PM 11-16-2016
I've been doing this for 15 years and while yes there is the up and downs in enrollment/pay and there are even the impossible to deal with parents/kids. BUT my alternative is to go out and get a full time job. Because of the tax breaks with daycare I would have to have a $50-60k a year job to make what I do in my daycare and after being out of the workforce for 15 years that probably wouldn't happen very easily. I would be out of my house from 8am-5pm (maybe longer w/commuting, etc.) and when my kids were younger I also would have had to send them to daycare (which would mean I'd truly need even a higher paying job). I wouldn't be able to do laundry or start dinner while working. Wouldn't be home to help with homework after school, etc. etc.

So all of that are just some of the reasons I am doing this to myself. Its not for everyone. I have seen many a stay at home mom who thinks they can just do this to add to their family's income - but when it doesn't last more than 6-8 months they can go back to being that stay at home mom. When you NEED to have the income you look at things a little differently.
Reply Up