Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Default Need Advice On This One Pls

I had an interview that I am considering starting up. Parents admitted the little one bites and hits (apparently was dismissed from previous daycare for it) and they are working on it at home. I have two toddlers (one who bites on occassion) and an infant, plus 2 pre-k and two SA. I think it's workable, but I'm a little nervous taking on another biter. Just wanted some thoughts on what others think about the situation. The parents are very friendly. We discussed parenting and values. Seem to match up there as well. The little one played really well at interview, listened to redirection as well.

I'm thinking that if I am even writing this, it may mean a red flag is there and to listen to that Know what I mean? lol

I want to be able to walk my little ones to the bus stop and what if they don't listen well for that? I'd hate to term again. They really need stability. What other questions might you ask the parents before deciding if it's a good fit?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Running away from home

My own child was a biter and I would not take a biter on after dealing with my kid. It can be a difficult situation if they truly bite a lot (sounds like it if they were termed from previous care). I would not want to take it on, especially if you are not up for the challenge, which it sounds like it will be. Hope it works out either way.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

What age child and is this a sib group?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Do you know how much was actually going on at the old DC? It could have been just one or two incidents or a lot more than that. Either way, if you like the family and the parents are okay with it, why not set up a trial period and at least give it a shot? Even a day or two should give you an idea of what to expect. He may not bite at all if he has grown out of it or if the biting was actually directly towards just one kid at the old daycare.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM

I personally wouldn't take a biter, for my sake, the children,other parents, and my own children's sakes.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
What age child and is this a sib group?
3.5yrs and a younger sibling just got on board. this brought on the return of biting
Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM

I'm thinking that they are going to outgrow this stage fairly soon. Sounds like it anyway. and the family is really nice. I like how honest and upfront they were.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

I might try it depending on what parents say- for my first two weeks with a family either of us can term at any time (no notice but payment for services used due.) Might be worth a shot. I have a girl now who was a biter, parents told me, she did bite (my daughter) once, but otherwise has been great with the biting. I agree that them telling you and willing to work is huge! Sounds like a nice family to work with. BUT since you already have one biter, might be more trouble...
ETA- if it is an every day thing, I would probably choose not to take her despite the nice family. I would not want to deal with it everyday. With my DCG I knew it might happen but was not her only way of expressing anger etc.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM

I'll ask the parents how often they bite and such. I'm gonna say yes, I'll give it a go if it's not an everyday--all day long type of issue. I watched them interact with the little one and watched them playing while we talked and seemed really sweet. Followed directions very well and such.
Thanks for the input everyone!! I appreciate it
Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Blossoms Blooming

Maybe its not the child, maybe it was the previous provider....if they didn't have good supervision or discipline policy. (?)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Maybe its not the child, maybe it was the previous provider....if they didn't have good supervision or discipline policy. (?)
Good point Sugar Magnolia! I think 50% of a challenging behavior has to do with environment.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Good point Sugar Magnolia! I think 50% of a challenging behavior has to do with environment.
Ditto...
I had a child that was kicked out of his old DC for violent behavior. At first i was thinking no way in the world would I deal with that. I thought to myself, well this is what the two week trial is for, you never know.

the kid tried it here once, and saw that none of the kids here act that way and none of them responded to it. It lasted all of a day and he has never done it again.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 AM

I also wouldn't take a biter. I would think it was pretty bad if they had to find a new daycare because of it.

Tags
bites, environments, interview