Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default Tornado Watch- WWYD?

I live in a zone that will be hit by some bad storms coming up very soon tonight. We have a wind advisory currently- and could possibly be in a tornado zone, depending on where this big storm takes us.

I put up a pack and play in my basement, and an emergency bag with extra diapers, water, food, blankets, and first aid kit. I also threw in all of our bicycle helmets, just for extra safety, and some clothes. My phone is fully charged.

This could be completely pointless, or we could be hit by a tornado. It isn't likely, but I would much rather be prepared.

At the very least, it is a good practice/drill for natural disasters.

Do you have emergency plans in place? If so, what would you add?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 PM
MrsB's Avatar
MrsB MrsB is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 590
Default

I am licensed and our state requires us to have an emergency preparedness plan and kit. Here are some additional items I have in mine that I can think of off the top of my head. At least $20 in cash, full gas tank, extra set of car keys, canned food and dont forget the opener, copies of kids emergency cards, phone numbers of emergency contacts for yourself,
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default Thank you

Thanks! I will do a copy of the kids information and contacts- I didn't think about that!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 PM
JenNJ's Avatar
JenNJ JenNJ is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,203
Default

Matches & candles, flashlight, some books/games/toys/crayones and coloring books for the kids. Cards for the adults. Bread and PB&J for a no cook meal packed with protein. An empty bucket and a roll of toilet paper. Trash bags, chairs for the adults, battery operated or crank radio. Extra batteries. Flares. Wallet, medical cards, emergency info for everyone. Any medications that anyone uses and some pain and killers like Motrin. Benadryl. Lots of wipes to wash up with.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
bunnyslippers's Avatar
bunnyslippers bunnyslippers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 981
Default

Flash light, battery operated radio, toilet paper and kleenex, some toys to keep you all occupied, any pet provisions, shoes (never know when you may need to leave the home).

The Red Cross also has a full list of items you should always have ready to go in an emergency, either shelter in place or leave the home.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenNJ View Post
Matches & candles, flashlight, some books/games/toys/crayones and coloring books for the kids. Cards for the adults. Bread and PB&J for a no cook meal packed with protein. An empty bucket and a roll of toilet paper. Trash bags, chairs for the adults, battery operated or crank radio. Extra batteries. Flares. Wallet, medical cards, emergency info for everyone. Any medications that anyone uses and some pain and killers like Motrin. Benadryl. Lots of wipes to wash up with.
We have to have a tornado bucket in our basement for per licensing but never thought of the empty bucket and a roll of toliet paper. We had to hold my own DD over our laundry sink once when we had a tornado warning and we were in the basement. Luckily it was just #1.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Springdaze's Avatar
Springdaze Springdaze is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Default

My state gave us sticker bracelet things that you write the childs name phone # and allergies on. It would have to be a real emergency to need them, but I thought it was a good idea. I have lots of food in my school and things like that, but we would never have a "surprise" emergency here, well, it would be rare, we DID have an earthquake last summer, but I was driving and didnt feel it!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Try this site: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/...0089f0870aRCRD

Tons of super good info.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:13 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

PLEASE don't buy into all the media hype...we're only at a TORCON 3 last I checked. The hype is ridiculous and overblown...for our particular area anyway.

The news agencies lost out on lots of snowstorm ratings and are just leaping on this as the first Big Event that they can use to draw any ratings at all.

It's silly. It's a storm system. They happen. The conditions are right for possible tornados...that happens too.

Being prepared for an emergency, knowing what you'll do, having a kit ready...that's one thing. Overpreparing, scaring yourself...that's just wasting time and energy and is silly.

I would put money on not even getting a good healthy thunderstorm...just lots of rain.

ETA: I'm a weather nerd and have been learning about this stuff since I was 8. My brother in law IS a meteorologist and definitely knows what he is talking about, too. This is NOT a "freak out" type event...but then, I don't "do" drama. It's boring. I don't watch the news either for that reason--it's all drama and a ratings game.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
ETA: I'm a weather nerd and have been learning about this stuff since I was 8. My brother in law IS a meteorologist and definitely knows what he is talking about, too. This is NOT a "freak out" type event...but then, I don't "do" drama. It's boring. I don't watch the news either for that reason--it's all drama and a ratings game.
LOL!! We were just joking the other day that meteorology is the only field you can go into and be 100% wrong and still keep your job!

Our meteorologist predicted 8-12 inches of snow for a REALLY bad snow storm that was heading our way, no travel advised, all evening activities at schools and adult centers cancelled, etc etc etc. Storm suppose to hit at midnight.....I headed to bed fully prepared to be snowed in the next morning.

Woke up and there was not one single snow flake on the ground. . I kind of expect that they aren't perfect but my first thought was "seriously?"

So I just had to throw that out there that I RARELY believe the weather guy/gal.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
PLEASE don't buy into all the media hype...we're only at a TORCON 3 last I checked. The hype is ridiculous and overblown...for our particular area anyway.

The news agencies lost out on lots of snowstorm ratings and are just leaping on this as the first Big Event that they can use to draw any ratings at all.

It's silly. It's a storm system. They happen. The conditions are right for possible tornados...that happens too.

Being prepared for an emergency, knowing what you'll do, having a kit ready...that's one thing. Overpreparing, scaring yourself...that's just wasting time and energy and is silly.

I would put money on not even getting a good healthy thunderstorm...just lots of rain.

ETA: I'm a weather nerd and have been learning about this stuff since I was 8. My brother in law IS a meteorologist and definitely knows what he is talking about, too. This is NOT a "freak out" type event...but then, I don't "do" drama. It's boring. I don't watch the news either for that reason--it's all drama and a ratings game.
You are probably 100% right. I do not have an emergency kit (well, didn't before today), so it was good to at least get something together anyway and think about what I would do if....

My grandma called me earlier in an uproar about it and got me all worked up- she's a doomsday freak-out kind of person. I should have known better lol!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 AM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,414
Default

We have a basement and yes, i have had to wake 7 kids during nap time when the tornado sirens turned on! I have TV down there and just pop in a movie if we get stuck in there during the day. Emergency contacts, supply and food is a very good idea! As are flashlights, your cell phone and even an extra charger.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 AM
GretasLittleFriends's Avatar
GretasLittleFriends GretasLittleFriends is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 936
Default

All I am required to have is a flashlight and radio. We have a bathroom in our basement, so I wouldn't have thought of the bucket, but it's a GREAT idea. We have a pantry down there with canned and dried goods, and the basement is where I store my "sleeping" toys. A copy of the kids' emergency info is a wonderful suggestion too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
LOL!! We were just joking the other day that meteorology is the only field you can go into and be 100% wrong and still keep your job!

Our meteorologist predicted 8-12 inches of snow for a REALLY bad snow storm that was heading our way, no travel advised, all evening activities at schools and adult centers cancelled, etc etc etc. Storm suppose to hit at midnight.....I headed to bed fully prepared to be snowed in the next morning.

Woke up and there was not one single snow flake on the ground. . I kind of expect that they aren't perfect but my first thought was "seriously?"

So I just had to throw that out there that I RARELY believe the weather guy/gal.
Depends on where you were. We grilled Tuesday evening and were joking about "all the snow". We figured this was another case where the meteorologist mispredicted and thought it was just hype. By 11p the snow was coming down pretty good. School was cancelled Wednesday (which is NOT common for us) and we had a good 10+ inches of wet heavy snow. The roads were horrible, the wind was worse, even the wet snow was drifting. They were talking about shutting down I-35 for a while. When I was listening to a radio station from Duluth on Wednesday morning, it was about 9a and they said it had just started snowing in the last couple of hours.

When DH was finished plowing the driveway, our snow piles looked like a typical winters' worth of snow piles, but it was all from that one storm.

It snowed yesterday and is snowing again today. 48 this upcoming Tuesday and lower-mid 40s the end of the week.
__________________
Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends View Post
All I am required to have is a flashlight and radio. We have a bathroom in our basement, so I wouldn't have thought of the bucket, but it's a GREAT idea. We have a pantry down there with canned and dried goods, and the basement is where I store my "sleeping" toys. A copy of the kids' emergency info is a wonderful suggestion too.



Depends on where you were. We grilled Tuesday evening and were joking about "all the snow". We figured this was another case where the meteorologist mispredicted and thought it was just hype. By 11p the snow was coming down pretty good. School was cancelled Wednesday (which is NOT common for us) and we had a good 10+ inches of wet heavy snow. The roads were horrible, the wind was worse, even the wet snow was drifting. They were talking about shutting down I-35 for a while. When I was listening to a radio station from Duluth on Wednesday morning, it was about 9a and they said it had just started snowing in the last couple of hours.

When DH was finished plowing the driveway, our snow piles looked like a typical winters' worth of snow piles, but it was all from that one storm.

It snowed yesterday and is snowing again today. 48 this upcoming Tuesday and lower-mid 40s the end of the week.
Yeah, I felt really bad for some parts of the state. I know the weather guy was right about the storm, he was just a bit off though about when and where it was going to be the worst.

My DD lives in St. Cloud and she said they were predicting only rain and possible icy roads and they ended up having some of their roads shut down and a ton of snow too!

I just thought it was funny that we were in an area that was suppose to get 8-12 inches of snow and ALL the areas around us actually did and we didn't get a single flake. It was almost as if my town was living under a dome.

It is snowing now though so maybe Mother Nature will make it up to us...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 AM
meganlavonnesmommy's Avatar
meganlavonnesmommy meganlavonnesmommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 344
Default

I would make sure all the kids and you had their shoes on. And yes, we practice tornado drills just like we do with fire drills.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disaster plan, emergency preparedness plan, tornado

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Many Kids Do You Watch? cherryhill Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 36 03-03-2011 10:40 AM
Christmas Schedule Change....WWYD??? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 12-03-2010 01:20 PM
What Age Are The Children You Watch? Anna Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 23 06-08-2010 11:10 AM
Tornado Safety mac60 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 04-07-2010 11:12 AM
Just needing advice on the children I watch. momto3kitties Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 04-17-2009 09:03 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming