Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Keep or Send Home...
lmdc 05:46 AM 03-02-2010
so i sent my 14 month old dc boy home last thursday with a temp of 101.7. needless to say he stayed home on friday, and mom says they took him to dr and nothing was wrong. they kept him home on monday saying that he has a bad cough and is really miserable. he's here today, and his cough is horrible, raspy and mucousy sounding, his eyes are slightly watery, and he sounds stuffed up, and his voice sounds a little raspy when he talks. he seems in ok spirits, but went right down for a nap after breakfast, which is not normal for him...so my question is, am i justified in thinking i should have his parents pick him up? or should i wait and see how he acts once he's up, despite the above named symptoms? i have a small day care, and it's only my 20 month old daughter and a 3 yr old today, plus a few after school kids later. i am also pregnant right now, so really don't want to get sick. opinions?
Daycare Mommy 06:18 AM 03-02-2010
I would send him home. What does your contract say though?
momofboys 06:29 AM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by lmdc:
so i sent my 14 month old dc boy home last thursday with a temp of 101.7. needless to say he stayed home on friday, and mom says they took him to dr and nothing was wrong. they kept him home on monday saying that he has a bad cough and is really miserable. he's here today, and his cough is horrible, raspy and mucousy sounding, his eyes are slightly watery, and he sounds stuffed up, and his voice sounds a little raspy when he talks. he seems in ok spirits, but went right down for a nap after breakfast, which is not normal for him...so my question is, am i justified in thinking i should have his parents pick him up? or should i wait and see how he acts once he's up, despite the above named symptoms? i have a small day care, and it's only my 20 month old daughter and a 3 yr old today, plus a few after school kids later. i am also pregnant right now, so really don't want to get sick. opinions?
I would call the parent to come get him; he definitely is not 100%! Then I would do some major disinfecting of my home!
lmdc 06:45 AM 03-02-2010
well, he's still sleeping right now and i've decided that i'm going to wait until he's up so i can really hear what's going on with the cough before i make my decision...mom just called and wasn't too happy when i implied i might have her pick him up if he's not doing better after nap, stating that the dr said he was fine on sunday, and that there was nothing they could do. my response was that just because there's nothing that they can give him doesn't mean that he's not contagious...anyway, for the time being i plan to keep him "contained" to his playard and a few easily cleaned toys until i feel comfortable one way or the other. i'm justified in sending him home by what's in my policies, i just hate to inconvenience parents with leaving work...and hate making people mad...guess i've got to learn sometime =)
MarinaVanessa 07:05 AM 03-02-2010
My contract is a little different than other providers since I don't have a problem in having a child that is slightly sick and not contageous. I also don't mind giving medication (over the counter or prescribed) since I am trained for it. I have the child picked up if he/she has a temp of 100 or more, has colored (green or yellow) discharge from the eyes, ears, nose or mouth. Colored discharge could mean that they can still pass it on to the other kids but clear or none I don't have a problem with. If your DCB has a fever or colored discharge I'd send him home too. If not a call to the parent letting them know that their child is not acting normal and that they may have to pick him up should be good for now so at least you warned them, then keep an eye on his temperature. If they bring up the doctor thing (how Dr. said he was fine) explain that the Dr.'s diagnoses was from a doctor to a parent (meaning that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with him) but that in daycare you need to be sure he isn't even a little bit sick. Send him home either way if it gives you piece of mind. You can even request a note from the Dr. that clears the child and says that the child is fit for care in the DC and is not contagous. That way you can be extra safe.
momofboys 09:10 AM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by lmdc:
well, he's still sleeping right now and i've decided that i'm going to wait until he's up so i can really hear what's going on with the cough before i make my decision...mom just called and wasn't too happy when i implied i might have her pick him up if he's not doing better after nap, stating that the dr said he was fine on sunday, and that there was nothing they could do. my response was that just because there's nothing that they can give him doesn't mean that he's not contagious...anyway, for the time being i plan to keep him "contained" to his playard and a few easily cleaned toys until i feel comfortable one way or the other. i'm justified in sending him home by what's in my policies, i just hate to inconvenience parents with leaving work...and hate making people mad...guess i've got to learn sometime =)
The dr. may have said he was fine on Sunday but things do change & it is now Tues. Good luck! Another thing you may want to mention to the mom is how would she feel if another child in your care had a similar cough? Would she be happy with that child possibly spreading germs with a nasty cough?
TGT09 12:31 PM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
The dr. may have said he was fine on Sunday but things do change & it is now Tues. Good luck! Another thing you may want to mention to the mom is how would she feel if another child in your care had a similar cough? Would she be happy with that child possibly spreading germs with a nasty cough?
I completely agree!
Persephone 01:05 PM 03-02-2010
Things do change. He might have been find on Sunday but now what ever it is is coming to a head.

But I think if he's playing okay and not fussy (given that he does not have a fever or colored snot) that I'd just stick it out the rest of the day.
Carole's Daycare 11:30 AM 03-03-2010
I would definately send him home. We had RSV run through the daycare here the last few weeks- one mom sent a child with a nasty cough, of course no fever evident because she tylenoled her up in the am- and picks up by 3 - so if the fever comes back during nap I won't know til pick up. So then I had two little girls get it so bad one was hospitalized and ended up on a nebulizer thanks to inconsiderate mom #1. That family kept 1st child to get sick home, sister came 3 days then stayed home when her symptoms progressed- but of course all were exposed while sister # 2 was here waiting to get sick. What a mess. The older sister missed almost 2 weeks, the 2nd 1 week and a day. All the other kids missed varying amounts depending on the severity,and if it hit near a weekend, with the older school agers missing it entirely. Whats sad is the families that brought sick kids first and caused the mess get paid sick days and PTO, while some of the latter families had totake time at their own expense. I let those families know that, too- and how inconsiderate , and potentially dangerous, it was to disregard sick policy and common sense.
Tags:send home, sick
Reply Up