Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 PM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default Flat Spot Baby, What To Do With Him?

I have a 4 month old, has been here since he was 6 weeks old. He started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks, 9-10 hour stretches, and we all think this is how this happened.

DCM said the DR is talking about a helmet, but they want to give it a month. She is requesting that I never lay him on his back unless he is being changed or sleeping. They don't want him in a swing or chair, but are okay with a bumbo or exersaucer (as long as his head is free)

The problem is, he is 4 months old, he isn't sitting yet, and he screams when he is on his tummy. So I'm either carrying him all day, or he is in the bumbo. We have an exersaucer, but it's in our large motor room, and we only go in there for about 40 minutes a day. I'm trying to be accommodating, but I also have to tend to the preschoolers, and I'm feeling trapped with this little guy in my arms. He only takes 2, 1 hour naps here, so the rest of the day I'm left to figure out what to do with him. He is VERY content to lay on his back and watch the kids run around, but that's not supposed to be happening anymore.

Any thoughts? Have any of you dealt with flat spot babies before? I'm also worried that all this holding is going to make it much more difficult to get him to play independently once he is crawling/sitting.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-15-2013, 12:56 PM
preschoolteacher's Avatar
preschoolteacher preschoolteacher is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 910
Default

I would not be able to accommodate that. Quite frankly, a 4 month old seems much too young to be propped up in a Bumbo or Exersaucer for long periods of time. It's an unnatural position for a child that young to be in for long stretches.

I'd give the baby the recommended amount of tummy time (supervised) each day, but I would not be okay putting him in something meant for an older child or having to hold him all day long. I would have to imagine you're not getting paid extra to do that?? It's hard enough to take care of 1 infant like that, let along the other kids you are responsible for. They might want to think about a nanny if that is what they require for this little guy.

If he's on his back, you can rotate him so that his head is not always turned the same way when he watches the other kids.

You could get a full-length mirror and lay it the long way so that when he's on his tummy, he can see himself in the mirror! That might make him like tummy time more, but he really is too young to be in tummy time for very long.

What about sitting/propping him in a Boppy pillow? To me, it is not so upright as the Bumbo/Exersaucer but still would avoid putting pressure on his head.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 PM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher View Post
I would not be able to accommodate that. Quite frankly, a 4 month old seems much too young to be propped up in a Bumbo or Exersaucer for long periods of time. It's an unnatural position for a child that young to be in for long stretches.

I'd give the baby the recommended amount of tummy time (supervised) each day, but I would not be okay putting him in something meant for an older child or having to hold him all day long. I would have to imagine you're not getting paid extra to do that?? It's hard enough to take care of 1 infant like that, let along the other kids you are responsible for. They might want to think about a nanny if that is what they require for this little guy.

If he's on his back, you can rotate him so that his head is not always turned the same way when he watches the other kids.

You could get a full-length mirror and lay it the long way so that when he's on his tummy, he can see himself in the mirror! That might make him like tummy time more, but he really is too young to be in tummy time for very long.

What about sitting/propping him in a Boppy pillow? To me, it is not so upright as the Bumbo/Exersaucer but still would avoid putting pressure on his head.
I have a boppy, I could see what they think about that. I think I might have to have a serious talk with his parents about this. They are a great family, but I'm not sure I'm equipped for this, not to mention the helmet! My friend's kid had a helmet, and he pretty much didn't nap for the whole 9 months he had it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Flat head issues are common, however, in order to treat and improve it, you don't have to keep him off his back 24/7.

Basically all u should do is reposition his head. When you put him on his back, turn his head to the side. This works easily if you out one of those ocean tank toy thinks or something similar on one side or the other. Also, repositioning e crib mobile at home, if they have one.

Then also, frequent supervised tummy time.

Boppys are great because they take pressure off the back of the head.

The parents are making it much more complicated than it needs to be.

The main thing is dont let his head be straight vertical every minute of the day. Frequent changes of position is all that needs to be done.

Here are some helpful (I hope) links.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_plagioce...7981.bc?page=2

And

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/1...ome-in-babies/

And


http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/...ocephaly.html#
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

It won't hurt him to scream while he is on his tummy. I'd be doing ALOT more tummy time. He will eventually start enjoying it and the screaming will subside. You may also consider getting a baby carrier and wearing him rather than just carrying him. I would still limit the amount of carrying and do more tummy time, but a carrier will make it easier on your back, etc. and will allow you to have your hands free when you do carry him.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 PM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default

Thanks for the links. I will pass them along to his parents as well.

His spot is pretty bad, like you could rest a drink on it...

I used a baby carrier for my DD non stop, but I can't figure out how to have him in it, and sit on the floor with the others. I find it so cumbersome to sit down in that thing. I have an Ergo, so maybe there is a better option?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Crazy8's Avatar
Crazy8 Crazy8 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,769
Default

a 4 month old can not be expected to hold their head up all day except for naps! Those big heads on those tiny bodies are heavy, LOL! Seriously though, that's too much for the baby much less for you! Just changing the position of his head should be enough in addition to a reasonable amount of time on his tummy, in exersaucer, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
LoraJenkins's Avatar
LoraJenkins LoraJenkins is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In the Deep South
Posts: 385
Default

The 22month old I have now came to me with a bad flat spot. He got his helmet 2 weeks after. I just made sure the first 2weeks to rotate his head if he was laying down. The helmet was really easy to take on and off. He had no issues napping with it on. Just follow the directions as far as the adjustment period to the helmet and he should be able to sleep in it comfortably.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

My little dcb is 8 months, and his head if extremely flat in back. Despite what the internet says, his doctor is not concerned at all. Weird. Visitors to the dc always comment on it.

His motor skills are a little slow, but progressing. He spends way less time on his back now that he's sitting up and more comfortable on his belly. Trying to learn to crawl...

Poor guy is completely bald, too, so he looks a bit like Patrick Stewart. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it does seem to be getting better...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
My little dcb is 8 months, and his head if extremely flat in back. Despite what the internet says, his doctor is not concerned at all. Weird. Visitors to the dc always comment on it.

His motor skills are a little slow, but progressing. He spends way less time on his back now that he's sitting up and more comfortable on his belly. Trying to learn to crawl...

Poor guy is completely bald, too, so he looks a bit like Patrick Stewart. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it does seem to be getting better...
Once they are sitting up and crawling the flattening does improve but it does take time. The older they are the slower the bones fix themselves. When they are really young like 3 months or so, the bones are softer so they re shape a little quicker.

I always thought Patrick was hot.. So I'll bet your little one is a cute little bugger, flat head or not!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Once they are sitting up and crawling the flattening does improve but it does take time. The older they are the slower the bones fix themselves. When they are really young like 3 months or so, the bones are softer so they re shape a little quicker.

I always thought Patrick was hot.. So I'll bet your little one is a cute little bugger, flat head or not!!
Yes ma'am he is, the most beautiful blue eyes and long lashes, and one of the flirtiest babies I've ever had.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Yes ma'am he is, the most beautiful blue eyes and long lashes, and one of the flirtiest babies I've ever had.
How adorable!! I love bald babies!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 PM
crunchymama's Avatar
crunchymama crunchymama is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 105
Default

I saw a thing on Facebook just yesterday about flat head and a new product called tortle. Its a little beanie hat. http://www.tortle.com/home_s/1819.htm
I'd at least run it by his parents.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
I have a boppy, I could see what they think about that. I think I might have to have a serious talk with his parents about this. They are a great family, but I'm not sure I'm equipped for this, not to mention the helmet! My friend's kid had a helmet, and he pretty much didn't nap for the whole 9 months he had it.
I just had a dcb who had a helmet for a flat spot. He could have cared less that it was on. The only time he fussed was putting on or taking it off which I did minimally. I wouldn't worry about that.
My dcb had such a big/severe spot that we couldn't get him to keep his head in a different position.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 AM
Shell's Avatar
Shell Shell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,743
Default

Trying to keep a young baby off of its back is a full time job! The other suggestions on here already are great. You do need to reposition the baby every time he lays down, so his head is not on the flat side (turn his head to the right if the spot is on the left). In my state, we need a dr's note to allow children to sleep in any other position besides back sleeping. However, they can prop the child on his side using blankets to keep him in place at home, this may be too much of a liability for you during the day. I also agree with the suggestion of more tummy time-he will get used to it- you will have to deal with the screaming until he does I have also read that you can put a magazine behind the baby while he's in the bumbo for head and neck support-though I've never tried it. They say the human head wants to be round, so it should round itself out, but despite all your efforts, he may still need a helmet.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

I agree with using a baby carrier, and putting him on his tummy every time you do have to put him down - even if he screams. I know a friend who was advised by her doctor to use gentle massage to help mold her baby's head (but her daughter had been stuck head up under her ribs for her pregnancy and had a flat back and huge bump on her forehead) My own child hated tummy time and would just lay there and scream (like the kind of scream that makes the neighbors call the police ) - not even trying to move her head/neck so I know how hard it is to put them down that way. Maybe if you have older kids, enlist their help in chatting to baby and making silly faces to entertain (making it clear they are not to touch/pick up baby) I guess I would put this is the "this is good for you and it hurts me more then it hurts you" category

In my experience some babies are just more prone to flat spots and they do not always correct themselves, despite changes in position and keeping baby off their head in awake time and he may just be one of those kids.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 AM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default

Thanks for all the advice/input! I think I will just talk to mom and tell her I will do the best I can to reposition him/move him around/and do tummy time, but that he will be on his back at times during the day for short periods.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM
3amazingkiddos's Avatar
3amazingkiddos 3amazingkiddos is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 41
Default

The best thing you can do is reposition and offer tummy time, screaming or not. It's impossible to keep a child that young off the back of their head. My son had a horrible flat spot due to torticollis, he wore a helmet and was never bothered by it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Can you let him sleep on his side, with a doctor's note?

You could put him alternate each nap, right then left, then right then left. If you put him up against the side of the pnp, facing into the pnp, he the risks would be minimal.

In our state, the regs. say back-to-sleep except with a doctor's written prescription.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have a child like this who isn't to be on her back unless she is sleeping or getting changed. At first, she hated being on her tummy and would scream. She got used to it after a week and finally stopped crying. She is totally fine now and doesn't need a helmet.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 PM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Can you let him sleep on his side, with a doctor's note?

You could put him alternate each nap, right then left, then right then left. If you put him up against the side of the pnp, facing into the pnp, he the risks would be minimal.

In our state, the regs. say back-to-sleep except with a doctor's written prescription.
In my state, we are not aloud to use PnP for sleep, but I could prop him against the side of the crib. He does roll to his side if he falls asleep without the swaddle, but that is only about once a week right now. We are really trying to get him out of the swaddle so he can move around more when he's sleeping.

Any tips for breaking the swaddle?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 PM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a child like this who isn't to be on her back unless she is sleeping or getting changed. At first, she hated being on her tummy and would scream. She got used to it after a week and finally stopped crying. She is totally fine now and doesn't need a helmet.
This is encouraging...Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
In my state, we are not aloud to use PnP for sleep, but I could prop him against the side of the crib. He does roll to his side if he falls asleep without the swaddle, but that is only about once a week right now. We are really trying to get him out of the swaddle so he can move around more when he's sleeping.

Any tips for breaking the swaddle?
Sorry, can't help with the swaddle. My experience has been that sooner or later they break out, then roll over on their tummies, stick their tushies in the air, and snuggle in for a long nap.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flat spot baby, infant, sleeping positions

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horrible Daycare Director - What Can I Do? Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 31 02-09-2018 09:28 AM
8 Months Old Not Eating Baby Food - Should I Request Doctor's Notice? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 05-24-2013 04:39 PM
DCM Shows Dislike For My Kids daycarediva Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 07-27-2012 10:20 AM
Holding A Spot For A New Baby DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 12-10-2010 05:08 PM
Is There Anything I Can Say - or Just Keep Ignoring It DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 98 11-12-2010 11:57 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming