Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default 3 Month Old - Used To Bottle Propping

I have a 3 month old dcb whose parents ONLY feed him his bottles by sitting him in his bouncer or car seat and prop his bottles. Literally any time he makes a peep he gets a bottle propped in his mouth.

I obviously will NOT do this, but it seems like he's so accustomed to having a bottle in his mouth that he's extremely unhappy unless he's eating.

I've already expressed my concerns and educated the family on how dangerous what they're doing is.

My question is: how do I get him out of the habit of getting a bottle every time he cries? Today I tried a modified version of nannyde's infant schedule of tummy time to get him good and exercised, a 6 ounce bottle, thoroughly burped, diaper changed, woombie on, and a nap in the pack n play.

They don't do tummy time at all at home. He rarely leaves his seats.

For the most part I can see how if I keep this up it will help, but he can't be calmed down even after he's had a 6 ounce bottle unless you stick another in his mouth. He won't take a pacifier.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM
ColorfulSunburst's Avatar
ColorfulSunburst ColorfulSunburst is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bronx, New York
Posts: 643
Default

I can recommend for his parents to start constantly to sit on a sofa. And if they try to ask about something they have to get not what they want but food. 3 months non-stop.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default

NO advice, but I'm in the same boat. I have a 6 month old here, and his parents are doing the exact same thing with the propping of bottles, and feeding every time he cries.

This morning I asked DCM when he last ate, and she said, "oh, on the way here" I ask what she meant, and she said "I propped a bottle while he was in his car seat".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
NO advice, but I'm in the same boat. I have a 6 month old here, and his parents are doing the exact same thing with the propping of bottles, and feeding every time he cries.

This morning I asked DCM when he last ate, and she said, "oh, on the way here" I ask what she meant, and she said "I propped a bottle while he was in his car seat".
This is happening more and more due to the fast-paced lifestyles of families. It does make it difficult for providers. Luckily, all my kids are over one right now, so NO bottles. I see the bottle issue not getting any better soon!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
NO advice, but I'm in the same boat. I have a 6 month old here, and his parents are doing the exact same thing with the propping of bottles, and feeding every time he cries.

This morning I asked DCM when he last ate, and she said, "oh, on the way here" I ask what she meant, and she said "I propped a bottle while he was in his car seat".
Yup. My dcb gets fed a bottle on the way over... propped up by a blanket
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM
mountainside13's Avatar
mountainside13 mountainside13 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post
I have a 3 month old dcb whose parents ONLY feed him his bottles by sitting him in his bouncer or car seat and prop his bottles. Literally any time he makes a peep he gets a bottle propped in his mouth.

I obviously will NOT do this, but it seems like he's so accustomed to having a bottle in his mouth that he's extremely unhappy unless he's eating.

I've already expressed my concerns and educated the family on how dangerous what they're doing is.

My question is: how do I get him out of the habit of getting a bottle every time he cries? Today I tried a modified version of nannyde's infant schedule of tummy time to get him good and exercised, a 6 ounce bottle, thoroughly burped, diaper changed, woombie on, and a nap in the pack n play.

They don't do tummy time at all at home. He rarely leaves his seats.

For the most part I can see how if I keep this up it will help, but he can't be calmed down even after he's had a 6 ounce bottle unless you stick another in his mouth. He won't take a pacifier.

Any thoughts?
Have you tried different types of binkeys? It took me trying 6 different brands when I was in your situation. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainside13 View Post
Have you tried different types of binkeys? It took me trying 6 different brands when I was in your situation. Good luck!
Good idea!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
This is happening more and more due to the fast-paced lifestyles of families. It does make it difficult for providers. Luckily, all my kids are over one right now, so NO bottles. I see the bottle issue not getting any better soon!
I don't think it is because of fast pace life. I think it's because it's easy and it stops the baby from crying.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Bookworm's Avatar
Bookworm Bookworm is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
I don't think it is because of fast pace life. I think it's because it's easy and it stops the baby from crying.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 AM
renodeb's Avatar
renodeb renodeb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 837
Default

Thats so sad that they dont hold the baby when feeding him? I would probably help if the parents would stop propping at home. A lot of parents don't think of tummy time because most babies dont like it and fuss. Hang in there.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Give them the schedule YOU are trying to place the baby on. Tell them they must follow it too or you won't be able to keep their child.

Tell them you WILL be able to tell if they are or aren't following your suggestions....it won't be hard to.

If they truly want to do what is best for their child, they should at least be open to advice from someone who DOES know about taking care of children.

I wouldn't normally request DCF's follow MY schedule but for those families who simply don't have a clue or are the epitome of lazy, I absolutely feel it is okay to do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bottle, bottle - propping, crying, infant, infant - crying, irresponsible parents, lazy, no cry parenting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 Month Old Breastfeeding lovemykidstoo Parents and Guardians Forum 30 12-22-2013 08:18 AM
Found Baby In Swing With Propped Up Bottle redvispa Parents and Guardians Forum 23 11-06-2013 07:41 PM
Bottle Feedings For a 12 Month Old? Angelwings36 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 11-14-2012 02:53 AM
Question on Food for 10 Month Old! Breezy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 09-30-2012 05:29 PM
A Month Vacation Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 06-12-2012 10:44 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming